Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:24 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times

Advertisements

I've recently taken an interest in the Bellingham and Anacortes areas for employment within the next year. I'll be working in healthcare after I graduate, mostly with retirees. I know that Anacortes is a popular destination for retirees, but I've heard some negatives about it (jet noise, housing costs). It seems like a fairly small town, could a young couple looking to start a family enjoy it without feeling isolated, or is it near a lot of shops and entertainment and recreation? How about tourists, does it get frustrating? Also, things I've seen and read about the Bellingham area make it sound pretty appealing, but I've heard that housing prices are getting out of control there as well and does it get annoying with all the drunk college kids?

I really enjoy nature and being near the water, so both areas are very attractive, and because they are technically in the 'Banana Belt' I thought they would be a little more bearable than in the southern part of the Sound. So would housing costs be prohibitive for an income of around 80-90k in either of those areas for a house in a decent neighborhood? I'm originally from the eastside, but I currently reside in MI and I'm looking to return to WA and possibly considering the westside for the greenery. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,965 times
When we were visiting areas for our semi-retirement relocation last winter, my husband and I really enjoyed Anacortes--after a few days there, it went to the top of our "preferred" areas. We were surprised at how much we liked it and felt at home there right away. It's a beautiful waterfront town that has a real sense of community and a lively arts scene. Washington Park, a lovely large park for hiking, biking, walking and jogging is in the northwest corner. We even went to a movie one night at their little theater in historic Old Town, after having some great fish & chips at the Rockfish Grill (I think that was the name). There's a wonderful breakfast place there named Calico Cupboard--they're also located in Mt. Vernon and La Conner.

The only reason we decided against Anacortes was its proximity to Seattle--it's farther away than we wanted to be, and driving through Everett either direction at nearly any time of day was very frustrating. We checked out Bellingham a year before and especially liked Fairhaven, an artsy little area just south of Bellingham, but we liked Anacortes much better--maybe because it felt more small town and that's what we were looking for. Plus it's so easy to drive to beautiful Whidbey Island from Anacortes, and it's a gorgeous drive over the Deception Pass Bridge. Or, you can catch the ferry from Anacortes to the San Juan Islands. Lots of possibilities!

We never felt isolated, because it's a self-contained town with several commercial sections, healthcare services and shopping areas. We didn't notice any jet noise while we were there, but I've heard that can be a concern. We found nice houses in many price ranges from affordable to "wow." Also, while driving around, we noticed signs on some attractive rental houses in good areas. The downside to us, as well as the travel time to Seattle was the refinery in the northeast corner of town. It was very actively pouring clouds of smoke/steam into the sky--we were told the emissions are mostly steam and will dissipate quickly, but since then I've read about some clean air issues in Anacortes with the refinery. You could probably find more info online.

We ultimately chose Poulsbo for our new hometown, but we plan to visit Anacortes and the surrounding areas as often as possible. Nice little town with very friendly people.

Good luck with your search!

Lynn

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
Thanks for your input Lynn, I appreciate it. I had also heard something about the refinery there and wasn't sure what to make of it. I've heard Poulsbo is a really nice little town too. I'm definitely going to have to check out the area next time I'm back in WA visiting.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:16 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Annacourtes is nice, and in your profession you can actually afford it. There's so many old people here our medical facilities are over run, so you could almost have offices "bid" for your services. Other than the fought over refinery jobs, the work market is pretty dismal though.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
I've recently taken an interest in the Bellingham and Anacortes areas for employment within the next year. I'll be working in healthcare after I graduate, mostly with retirees. I know that Anacortes is a popular destination for retirees, but I've heard some negatives about it (jet noise, housing costs). It seems like a fairly small town, could a young couple looking to start a family enjoy it without feeling isolated, or is it near a lot of shops and entertainment and recreation? How about tourists, does it get frustrating? Also, things I've seen and read about the Bellingham area make it sound pretty appealing, but I've heard that housing prices are getting out of control there as well and does it get annoying with all the drunk college kids?

I really enjoy nature and being near the water, so both areas are very attractive, and because they are technically in the 'Banana Belt' I thought they would be a little more bearable than in the southern part of the Sound. So would housing costs be prohibitive for an income of around 80-90k in either of those areas for a house in a decent neighborhood? I'm originally from the eastside, but I currently reside in MI and I'm looking to return to WA and possibly considering the westside for the greenery. Thanks for the advice!
I live on Lummi Island, near Bellingham. Spend plenty time in Anacortes, too. Also ex-Navy-Air. There is really little jet noise over Anacortes. The Navy flies routes near Oak Harbor on Whidbey and out over the Sound but not over Anacortes.

Anacortes is a very nice small town with everything you'd need for shopping and lots of recreation, including a great community indoor pool. There really isn't much tourist activity. Some. Not much.

Housing prices are going through the stratosphere everywhere around the Puget Sound region. Anyplace within reach of the water especially (Bellingham, Anacortes definitely). Drunk college students in Bellingham? Nah! Not a problem at all. Great town.

Banana Belt? Uh, that would be a major myth. No such thing in the Northwest. What there is (where the myth comes from) is a "rain-shadow" effect that exists in upper-central Sound. Anacortes is pretty well in that circle. Bellingham considerably less so. Both Are Much better than South Sound, in that respect. Coupeville, on Whidbey — Port Townsend, across the Sound — Sequim, on the Peninsula — The San Juan Islands — all are the core of the rain-shadow ... half the rainfall in inches compared to Seattle area ... HOWEVER, do not think that means Any more sunshine than the rest of the region. This place is Gloomy in winter from south to north and there is NO escape. The gray skies are a blanket. But the rain falls harder outside the "shadow" caused by the air currents moving the clouds around the Olympic Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington