Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,765 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there was a post about Bainbridge Island. What is everyones thoughts of the area. I understand there is a ferry that goes to and fro, and it seems to be a little isolated. But, that is what we're looking for in a community. Any thoughts or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,992,496 times
Bainbridge isn't as isolated as you might think. Yes, there's a ferry from Seattle but the reason it isn't considered islolated is that you can drive on an off at the northwest corner of the island. It's one of the bigger islands, if not the biggest, in Puget Sound so you really can't tell you're on an island at all. It's really just a moniker as far as I'm concerned.

You're right, there is a thread where we discussed this not too long ago. If I find it, I'll post it for you.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...nbridge+island

Here's my comments in the last post of the thread:

Good grief, you guys! Some of you make it sound like Bainbridge is some remote little island tucked away somewhere in the boonies.

It's a big island ...not like you'd even know you're on an island once you're there. Winslow is a nice little town with many amenities. It has auto repair shops, many restaurants, all kinds of retail and businesses that a lot of towns of similar size have.

The thing that sets it apart and why I say you might not feel you're on a remote island is that it does have roadway access to the rest of the Kitsap Peninsula via the Agate Pass Bridge. You're minutes away from Poulsbo and have good access to Bremerton and the rest of Kitsap County. So, in other words, ferry access isn't the only way on and off the island as is the case with some other islands in the Sound.

The San Juans and Vashon only have ferry access. Bainbridge, Whidbey, and Camano all have roadway access.

Conclusion: Bainbridge should not be considered an isolated island. You probably won't even know you're on an island both demographically and commerically.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,176,425 times
Moderator cut: (post you were quoting has been deleted)

Personally Im looking at bainbridge to.
http://www.bainbridgeisland.com/
Im still looking at Vashon Island as well. Vashon is a TRUE Island and gives you access to Tacoma as well as Seattle.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Now. Now. Now. Gentlemen, Let's play nice. All comments are welcome. Even if it's a little bashing. I understand every place has its aggrevations. I reviewed the post 'rocco placed. It's very informative. I'm glad you gave me the link.

Thanks....

Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Another question, What is the capacity of the ferries? How many people and cars can the ferries hold? Are the grocery prices higher? Is the cost of living higher or lower on general goods?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Another question, What is the capacity of the ferries? How many people and cars can the ferries hold? Are the grocery prices higher? Is the cost of living higher or lower on general goods?

Thanks

Thanks again, brikag, for your kind words and for understanding.

First, the ferry question. This web page is really interesting. It will give you the details of each boat in the fleet and will answer your questions. I was entertained a bit by clicking on the link for each boat.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/your...action=classes

The Bremerton and Winslow routes are the high traffic routes and will use the big boats which I think will hold over 200 cars.

As for the grocery question. No, IMO, the prices will not be any higher. Like I say, it isn't as if Bainbridge is some remote, out-of-the-way place. But maybe we can get some others to comment on that aspect.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 20,040 times
Default Beautiful Bainbride

Hi, Don't hesitate. It's gorgeous, artistic, eclectic and wondrous. Rentals are available that are FAR superior to nearby Seattle (a 30-minute, beautiful ferry ride to the heart of downtown, but not cheap). We are movin there this summer and are in-love with the happy and friendly folks, sense of intelligent community, ecoconscious, artistic and eclectic. Good luck. Namaste, LoraJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington