U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-04-2010, 01:39 PM
1,295 posts, read 4,083,146 times
Reputation: 423


Since out of state is kind of expensive for college, I was thinking i could transfer to a community college first then trying a Uni. By then I should be able to be a resident right? How long do I need to stay here to be an official resident so that I can attend a college in state? Any tips or advice? I'm not exactly rich and i'm near D.C. so it's not something I can do over night. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
5,599 posts, read 16,757,178 times
Reputation: 4693
It's a common question and all public institutions of higher education in the state will have sections on their website addressing the issue. If you need the links, let us know.

Here's the actual WAC:

WAC 250-18-020: Student classification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
19,627 posts, read 35,922,590 times
Reputation: 19034
Not overnight, but only 3 days drive, or a 6 hr flight.

One yr is the std answer, but the above links has the best data as well as some nice loop-holes! (always play by the rules)

Jr College will be much cheaper, but will likely have out-of-state tuition UNLESS you join the military or marry a military spouse. Summer courses often wave out-of-state tuition as well. Come on out ASAP and get your Drivers License and an addy + utility connection and start getting residency needs under your belt. (This way you can get in a GREAT summer here, and MISS the muggy DC weather AT LAST )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Location: Southwest Washington
2,315 posts, read 6,568,260 times
Reputation: 1673
I've looked into this because I am currently attending Portland Community College, but would like to transfer to a Washington public university and cannot afford to pay nonresident tuition. Basically, you have to live for 1 year in Washington before you get residency tuition rates and cannot take more than 6 credits per term in that year if you want that year to count towards residency.

On North Seattle Community College's website they say:
Students enrolling in 6 or more credits shortly after arriving in Washington State are presumed to have come to Washington for educational purposes. These students are not eligible for the in-state rate until they have established a bona fide domicile and can provide all of the supporting domicile documentation, demonstrating establishment of least one year prior to the quarter of registration.
Washington's schools in counties that border Oregon also offer resident tuition rates to residents of the Oregon counties that border them. For me, for example, as a resident of Multnomah County, Oregon, I could attend Clark College in Clark County, Washington right across the river and pay resident rates.

There seems to be a loophole, but (as far as I know) only at Clark College in Vancouver:
** Washington Non-Resident Waiver
Students who do not meet the legal definition of a Washington resident will qualify for this waiver as long as they are domiciled in the state of Washington by the first day of the term they plan to enroll. This waiver is available to U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens, or eligible non-immigrant aliens with visa classifications A, E, G, I or K. Students holding a B, C, D, F, H, J, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, TC, TN or TD nonimmigrant visa classification do not qualify for this waiver.

Students receiving the Washington Non-Resident Waiver may qualify for reclassification as Washington residents once they have lived in the state of Washington for twelve (12) months, provided they submit a completed Residence Questionnaire form and all required documents. Contact the Admissions Department for further information.
So. There you have it. It's tricky. I never thought I'd find myself living in Vancouver, but I just might once my lease is up in Portland... Who knows. Or I may move to Vancouver and commute to PCC since all Washington residents are eligible for resident tuition rates there.

To OP, the job market in Vancouver isn't so hot right now. That may be the main drawback to life in Vantucky. Erm, I mean... Vancouver....

EDIT: It looks like Tacoma C.C., Green River C.C., Highline C.C., and Everett C.C. also have a nonresident waivers similar to Clark College. It seems to vary by institution. So you could, theoretically I think, attend TCC or Clark College (or possibly another college) and get your transfer degree at resident tuition rates and then be eligible to transfer to a state university and be considered a resident already. Maybe? It's very confusing and ambiguous and open to interpretation to a degree.

Last edited by backdrifter; 04-05-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top