Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,094 times

Advertisements

My husband just got orders for Ft. Lewis and we are due to move in 6mo. We currently are in DC and have lived there for the past 10 years. We are in our late 20s and are about to start raising a family. I have read through some of the older posts that have recommended Olympia, Dupont, Steilacoom and Lacey areas. My only concern is living in DC is it going to be a big culture shock? I'm used to being able to walk to restaurants and shops all within 2mi of out apartment. I realize liver further out from the city will be a big change but I'm hoping for areas where I can do a lot of walking - if not to shops and restaurants then to parks and trails. Can anyone make any recommendations? Maybe more specific areas of the above listed towns? I really know nothing of the area. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Hi,
There are areas where you can live and be walking distance from shopping and restaurants. I'm working with a buyer client from Italy right now who is looking for the same thing. I'm concentrating the home search on the South Capitol neighborhood in Olympia, Olympia's close in West Side and East Side, Olympia's Briggs Village as well as Dupont (especially the phase one and phase two areasof Dupont).
We're not looking in Lacey, but there are some neighborhoods in Lacey that might work for you. I'm thinking of Stonegate, Lexington, Avonlea and Kensigton. Within a 10 minute walk (all sidewalks) you can be at the supermarket, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. and just down the road is access to the Chehalis Western Trail.
Best of luck with your move.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM

56 posts, read 140,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luppymonster View Post
My husband just got orders for Ft. Lewis and we are due to move in 6mo. We currently are in DC and have lived there for the past 10 years. We are in our late 20s and are about to start raising a family. I have read through some of the older posts that have recommended Olympia, Dupont, Steilacoom and Lacey areas. My only concern is living in DC is it going to be a big culture shock? I'm used to being able to walk to restaurants and shops all within 2mi of out apartment. I realize liver further out from the city will be a big change but I'm hoping for areas where I can do a lot of walking - if not to shops and restaurants then to parks and trails. Can anyone make any recommendations? Maybe more specific areas of the above listed towns? I really know nothing of the area. Thx!
My Fiance works on Ft.Lewis also. I am from WA state. Best area would be Lacey or Olympia for a couple who wants to raise a family. It's safe and close to ft. lewis. Tacoma areas (pierce county) SUCKS. in 6 months we are moving out of this druggy infected county to Lacey to raise our family in... Lacey/Olympia has everything you'd get in the major cities, just with added safety. please don't move to pierce county. You will regret it!

Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Pierce county isn't as bad as the above poster says.

After all, I would think DC to be a million times worse than anywhere in Tacoma.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM

11 posts, read 33,605 times
Default Lacey

I have lived in Lacey for over 7 years now and it is a fine place to live. I am about a half mile walk or bike ride from lots of ethnic restaurants, a great grocery store, and tons of other shops, both locally owned and chains. There are bike trails into Olympia or you can drive there in about 5 minutes via the freeway.
That said, your choice of neighborhoods in Lacey is important because your home can really have a different feel depending on which area you live in. Personally, I prefer older houses, trees, and a close proximity to the central shopping area (notice I did not say downtown because Lacey does not have a real downtown). I am in an early 1950s neighborhood.
If you value a nice looking newer house, there are lots of options. Unfortunately most are in neighborhoods that are several miles away from the main shopping area and are on tiny tiny lots. When looking for a house, pay close attention to the size of the lot. If you are paying for a house, you may as well get a decent yard with it for the kids to play in. There are a lot of nice houses from the 1960s to 1980s on 1/4 acre lots for $190K-$250K. They are pretty close in too.
Hawk's Prairie is a newer area and generally not as desirable as the part of Lacey to the west (closer to Olympia).
If you are commuting to Ft Lewis, you would probably want to be fairly close (a few miles) from I-5.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 PM

10 posts, read 67,932 times
Although Dupont has lots of walking trails and bike lanes, there is no grocery store. You could bike to the commissary provided you have military ID. If not, You would have to use your car to drive to Lacey or Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington