Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

We're taking highway 20 over to Winthrop and Chelan, then back home on highway 2. We have plenty of time and will have our bikes. Are there any suggestions on places to eat, things to check out?

Thanks,
AzDreamer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 PM

176 posts, read 929,427 times
Definetely stop in Newhalem, grab some road candy and use the restrooms, then check out the suspension bridge and trail- it will take you about 20 minutes and it's a beautiful sight! (I've been doing it for 30 years now!)

Also, there is an interpretive center on Diablo Lake. Haven't checked that out, but the lake is absolutely breath-taking. We just went through there last weekend- it's great!

And a great place to grab a quick burger is at Birdsview Burgers just outside of Concrete, I believe. It's just a greasy spoon, but the staff is refreshingly friendly and the burgers are great- try their homemade tartar sauce, too!

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks racechick, that's just what we are looking for. Have you been to the Diablo and Ross Lake overlook?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Sorry to butt in but just thought I'd mention the Seattle City Light Diablo Dam dinner tour. I took some out of town guests on that tour and they loved it. At the end, there's an all-you-can eat chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetarian spaghetti, vegetables, fruit gelatin salad, rolls and butter, and home made pie ala mode.

Seattle City Light | Skagit Tours Home

Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 PM

113 posts, read 876,522 times
I'll vouch for the Diablo Dam Dinner Tour... fantastic!

Once you get over to the east side, Twisp and Winthrop are gorgeous little mountain towns to explore. You'll really enjoy following the Methow River down from the mountains all the way to the Columbia.

Chelan is also a great little stop, you can stop and check out the downtown area and all its little shops.

If you have the time, it does take awhile, take the Lady of the Lake cruise. You'll go by boat (2-3.5 hr trip depending on which boat you take if I remember right) all the way up Lake Chelan (over 50 miles!). At the top you'll reach the town of Stehekin. Visiting Stehekin is a one-of-a-kind opportunity as there are not many places left in the world that are not accessible by car. That's right, although there are a few miles of roads in Stehekin, there are no roads leading to the outside world. Definitely a must-do side trip, but you have to have the bulk of a day to do it.

As you drive south to Wenatchee you have to stop at a roadside fruit stand so you can participate in an Eastern Washington tradition. Buy a pound or more of fresh cherries, roll down the windows, and munch away while spitting the seeds out the window.

Highway 2 from Wenatchee back to the west side is a nice drive too. Great burgers can be had in Cashmere at Rusty's (legendary spot for visiting hikers to chow down at after getting out of the mountains). Cashmere also has Brian's Bulldog Pizza (no bulldogs included).

There are way too many good places to eat in Leavenworth to list here... pretty much anyplace you pick would be great.

At a little place on highway2 called Coles Corner (right at the turnoff to Lake Wenatchee) is the 59er Diner, a 50's themed cafe... very good food there, and generous portion sizes too - if you go away hungry, its your fault.

The Cascade Loop is just plain awesome, enjoy your trip.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM

176 posts, read 929,427 times
AAAH, Rusty's in Cashmere! That's the only thing I miss about going to Omak (my parents live there) from Olympia. We never go that way anymore since we live in Whatcom County now- we miss those Rusty burgers! But I still say Highway 20 beats Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie Pass hands-down for scenery, so it's worth it!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM

113 posts, read 876,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
But I still say Highway 20 beats Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie Pass hands-down for scenery, so it's worth it!
And you'll get no argument from me on that one!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks everyone, you guys are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington