U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 AM
 
4,153 posts, read 6,011,928 times
Reputation: 2925

Advertisements

This year alone we've hit it about 8 times with the rest of the week above 100. But luckily it's a dry heat so the Heat Index will be in the 90's. Gotta love a dry heat. It's actually comfortable in the shade when it's that hot. And at night it's almost cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2010, 05:20 AM
AB
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,060 posts, read 3,115,866 times
Reputation: 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
This year alone we've hit it about 8 times with the rest of the week above 100. But luckily it's a dry heat so the Heat Index will be in the 90's. Gotta love a dry heat. It's actually comfortable in the shade when it's that hot. And at night it's almost cold.
what city is this?

As for Kuwait, its my dream climate. Although the Pilbara has climates that are virtually as hot in summer but are all remote outposts in the middle of butt-freaking-nowhere. Gascoyne Junction averaged about 46C for the first 25 days of Jan 2009 before a stupid hurricane came and ruined the party near the end of the month.

Last edited by AB; 06-20-2010 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
what city is this?

As for Kuwait, its my dream climate. Although the Pilbara has climates that are virtually as hot in summer but are all remote outposts in the middle of butt-freaking-nowhere. Gascoyne Junction averaged about 46C for the first 25 days of Jan 2009 before a stupid hurricane came and ruined the party near the end of the month.
Is Broome the hottest "somewhere" in Australia, in you opinion?

Wow, 25 days in a row at 46 C... sounds like Bagdad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
AB
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,060 posts, read 3,115,866 times
Reputation: 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is Broome the hottest "somewhere" in Australia, in you opinion?

Wow, 25 days in a row at 46 C... sounds like Bagdad.
Wydham is...average annual high of 35.7C. Coldest monthly averages are 17/31C and hottest is 27/40C.

Average annual no of days above 30C is 332, above 35C is 216 and above 40C is 47. It is actually recognised as the world's hottest permanently inhabited *town*.

However, in Marble Bar, average no of days over 30C is 277, over 35C is 201, but over 40C is 104!!!! Marble Bar's annaul average high is 35.3C. Their winters are what kills their title for the world's hottest town, as July averages are only around 13/25C compared to Wyndham's 17/31C.



The highest overnight lows in Australia belong to a place called 'Cockatoo Island', where the annual average low is 25.5C, with the lowest monthly average of 22C and highest 28C. Record low is 17C. This island is at 16 lat by the way. There are reefs and atolls (Ashmore Islands, Rowley Shoals) off the Kimberleys and Pilbara at around 13-14S latitude, but without long term weatehr records. These places rarely drop below 28C in summer and 24C in winter. It would be fascinating to see long term averages for these locations. Infact, Rowely shoals are still recording overnight lows of 26-27C despite the fact that it's late June! It is entirely possible that these locations record the highest average overnight lows in the world.

Last edited by AB; 06-20-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Wydham is...average annual high of 35.7C. Coldest monthly averages are 17/31C and hottest is 27/40C.

Average annual no of days above 30C is 332, above 35C is 216 and above 40C is 47. It is actually recognised as the world's hottest permanently inhabited *town*.

However, in Marble Bar, average no of days over 30C is 277, over 35C is 201, but over 40C is 104!!!! Marble Bar's annaul average high is 35.3C. Their winters are what kills their title for the world's hottest town, as July averages are only around 13/25C compared to Wyndham's 17/31C.



The highest overnight lows in Australia belong to a place called 'Cockatoo Island', where the annual average low is 25.5C, with the lowest monthly average of 22C and highest 28C. Record low is 17C. This island is at 16 lat by the way.
I didn't know you considered Wyndham a "somewhere" with a population of only 669 people.

Marble Bar is smaller though; 194 people.

Do you plan to visit Cockatoo Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
AB
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,060 posts, read 3,115,866 times
Reputation: 2836
By Australian standards, if it has people, it is "somewhere"

Cockatoo Island is spectacularly warm and humid, but it doesn't compare to Rowely shoals:
You didn't mention Rowley Shoals as stated in my post

Here's the typical mid winter overnight temps for this location....warmer than Cockatoo Island and perhaps the highest average overnight lows in the world. This location almost never drops below 28C in summer, but sadly no long term data is kept.

It's mid winter, and look at the overnight temps:
Latest Weather Observations Rowley Shoals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,878 posts, read 9,681,708 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
This year alone we've hit it about 8 times with the rest of the week above 100. But luckily it's a dry heat so the Heat Index will be in the 90's. Gotta love a dry heat. It's actually comfortable in the shade when it's that hot. And at night it's almost cold.
Lol it's the opposite right now in NYC, it's 87F but the heat index is 101F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
By Australian standards, if it has people, it is "somewhere"

Cockatoo Island is spectacularly warm and humid, but it doesn't compare to Rowely shoals:
You didn't mention Rowley Shoals as stated in my post

Here's the typical mid winter overnight temps for this location....warmer than Cockatoo Island and perhaps the highest average overnight lows in the world. This location almost never drops below 28C in summer, but sadly no long term data is kept.

It's mid winter, and look at the overnight temps:
Latest Weather Observations Rowley Shoals
I was just comparing it with your comments for Gascoyne Junction.

Rowley Shoals in winter?
The temps look almost the same, day and night. (26-27 C?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
28,603 posts, read 14,826,159 times
Reputation: 9124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol it's the opposite right now in NYC, it's 87F but the heat index is 101F.
really? As of 1:55 PM, central park is 87F with a dewpoint of 71F, giving a heat index of 93F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,878 posts, read 9,681,708 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
really? As of 1:55 PM, central park is 87F with a dewpoint of 71F, giving a heat index of 93F
Yes really lol. On Accuweather the Heat Index in NYC was 101F, now if they use Central Park or not idk. On WeatherBug some parts of NNJ had a 103F Heat Index which leads me to believe it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top