Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

I love the nice days of the Spring and Fall in PA but I hate all the cold and rainy weather that goes along with it. Is there anywhere with lots of green in spring and summer, or changing leaves in the fall, but without so much rain? Or are the rainy days necessary in order to have the nice days?

I was thinking maybe the center of the country, around western KS, western NE, it is drier than the east coast but not quite as dry as AZ and CO. I have never been to these places but they seem like they have nice weather overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Maybe Sacramento California? They seem to get alot of sun, and have cold enough winters without the infamous PNW style nuclear winter.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Sacramento won't be green in the summer as it has a dry season. And I don't think the leaves change much color. I'm thinking somewhere in the mountain west might work.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
western NE and KS may be too far west for "green in summer and a nice colour change"
I've seen images of western KS and NE and it looks more like the southwestern US; desert-like imho.

Eastern NE or KS, maybe Iowa, Missouri or NW Arkansas might be a better fit. (tornado's aside )

Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
What about somewhere in the Mountain West but at high elevation like Flagstaff, AZ or Denver, CO? I know both get quite a bit of snow but they both tend to be quite sunny and still have the 4 seasons.....

Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Around the world Northern China or Eastern Europe would fit the bill.

In the US northern Midwest actually has much less precipitation that the Northeast. Minneapolis has less than 30 inches of precipitation vs 42 inches in Philly.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,681 times
According to here, Kansas and Nebraska's fall foliage start dates have them at not applicable. You can have a lot of answers on this site about weather:

Fall Foliage Dates | Farmers' Almanac

Look at the right and under the tab "helpful weather links" it asks some common questions people have, like first frost date, etc.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Kinda hard to have lots of green in summer w/o rain.

In Minnesota, a hot dry stretch in August and all the unwatered lawns are brown.
In the drought of 88, they went brown in June.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I can't decide if I want to live somewhere that its warm all the time or if I want to live in a 4-season climate. Generally I like warm and sunny weather, but i think i would miss the snow around Christmas time. I keep changing my mind. I have thought a lot about Denver or Flagstaff. I know it gets a bit cold in the winter but those places seem to have good climates the rest of the year.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I can't decide if I want to live somewhere that its warm all the time or if I want to live in a 4-season climate. Generally I like warm and sunny weather, but i think i would miss the snow around Christmas time. I keep changing my mind. I have thought a lot about Denver or Flagstaff. I know it gets a bit cold in the winter but those places seem to have good climates the rest of the year.
Check out Ozarks and towns like Springfield in southwestern Missouri.
One of our previous board members moved there from California for "4-season-but-generally-warm-and-sunny" weather and loved it.

If you're like me what is bad about rain is how long a rain event lasts for (hours? days?)
I wouldn't be surprised if west of the Mississippi rain is more likely to come in downpours than steady drizzly periods.

With winter avg highs in the low 40's F,
they probably have a 1-in-4 to 1-in-10 chance of snow on Christmas, (similar to Philly?)
but perhaps up in the mountains there might be some snow.

If snow on Christmas matters more
I think you'll need to go further west (Denver or Flagstaff) to still be in a sunny climate without too much extreme cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather