U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 PM

12,811 posts, read 8,033,945 times
What a Thunderstorm. We have went from 95F with a dew point of 81F to a temp of 76F and a dew point of 68 in 30 minutes. This is the only thing i like about summer time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,193,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
Wow! Man, you probably pay bigtime heat bills in the winter.
In the summer the AC is at 77 or 76. In the winter and early spring the heat is on 66-67. In mid/late September the AC comes off and for at least 2 months we open the windows. I used to leave my room window wide open even after we start running heat. We have a screen in the window so no bugs get in by that way.
I love a violent storm sometimes. We had 20 very close lightning strikes as a guess alone in the slow mover a couple days ago. The thunder shook the house somewhat.
I'd like to heat to 78 F in winter, but it would be expensive, unfortunately, so it's left at 70-72 F.

If energy was free, I'd keep the heat on (set at 82 F?) and windows open in summer.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM

27,032 posts, read 13,435,154 times
Leaving the windows open most of the time this summer, my room is usually around 76-80F in the day, a bit warmer in the side that's in the sun. Once it cools down a bit, I turn on my window fan and it's cools down enough to sleep well.

In the spring and fall there are too many cold days where I can't leave the windows open and I don't want it to get cold enough I need to turn the heat on, so summer is the time of year I can leave them open enough. I like to have them open in the daytime at least.

I usually set the heat to about 64F or so in the winter, sometimes a little cooler. Rather wear a sweater than pay for heat. And it's good to have things a little on the cool side, so going outside isn't a shock.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM

10,548 posts, read 5,643,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Most grass in the area is very brown, we're getting very little rain, we also haven't had a true thunderstorm this year (ultra odd). I think it rained just once this month (maybe twice), we miss all the t-storms that roll through, they either go right to our south or north. I really love the heat but I hate not having t-storms. The other day a powerful t-storm went just a couple of miles north of us, it was raining tree branches there but we only got the pleasure of seeing the black clouds pass by. It's been above average (85 degrees), I think the heat wave is supposed to last like 2 more days, this is our 7th day above 90.
We've had a couple of thunderstorms, but they weren't very strong and only lasted about ten minutes. Come to think of it, I don't believe we had any sort of severe weather outbreak this past spring. Kind of odd.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM

10,548 posts, read 5,643,461 times
Quote:
In the summer the AC is at 77 or 76. In the winter and early spring the heat is on 66-67. In mid/late September the AC comes off and for at least 2 months we open the windows. I used to leave my room window wide open even after we start running heat.
I only have a window unit so I can't really set it at any sort of temperature. But 76-77 F sounds like a good temperature. Anything much lower begins to feel uncomfortable. Saves money too.

Before I turn the AC on (usually wait until late afternoon or early evening), my room can easily get to 80-84 F, especially on a hot day.

If I lived in Georgia, based on your averages, I think I would be able to have my window open during the day most of the winter (with the exception of those brutally cold winter days).

Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM

242 posts, read 293,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I only have a window unit so I can't really set it at any sort of temperature. But 76-77 F sounds like a good temperature. Anything much lower begins to feel uncomfortable. Saves money too.

Before I turn the AC on (usually wait until late afternoon or early evening), my room can easily get to 80-84 F, especially on a hot day.

If I lived in Georgia, based on your averages, I think I would be able to have my window open during the day most of the winter (with the exception of those brutally cold winter days).
My dad would wish to do the same, but he can't (He still has northern blood after living south for a long time). I think we keep the windows open 4 months a year unless the paper mill is smelling.
Today was a cloudy day. 10 miles north was 96, we only reached 85 maybe.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
My dad would wish to do the same, but he can't (He still has northern blood after living south for a long time). I think we keep the windows open 4 months a year unless the paper mill is smelling.
Today was a cloudy day. 10 miles north was 96, we only reached 85 maybe.
I have "northern blood," is your dad's temp preferences like mine?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM

242 posts, read 293,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I have "northern blood," is your dad's temp preferences like mine?
Nope. He says it feels like he is running forever whenever he does a run in mid morning in summer. Doesn't hate cold, his all purpose jacket is a gray zip up (with the Georgia sports logo) unless its raining, snowing, windy and below 40.
He lived just outside of the Lake Effect snowbelt in Ohio for 12 years (before he was a teen).
I consider northern blood strong tolerance for cold weather (thick blood).
My family would prefer to stay above 4,000 feet in the summer.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Nope. He says it feels like he is running forever whenever he does a run in mid morning in summer. Doesn't hate cold, his all purpose jacket is a gray zip up (with the Georgia sports logo) unless its raining, snowing, windy and below 40.
He lived just outside of the Lake Effect snowbelt in Ohio for 12 years (before he was a teen).

I consider northern blood strong tolerance for cold weather (thick blood).
Interesting, and the "Lake Effect" part of Ohio is milder than here.

So then what do I have, with northern upbringing, northern ancestry but I prefer 75+ F temps?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 PM

693 posts, read 403,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I have my windows closed to take advantage of "free heating."
I don't like letting the inside drop below 78 F, which means it's seldom a good time to leave windows open in summer.
You would love it here! Even with the AC on the upstairs will struggle to drop below 82. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather