U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,125,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I used to come back to upstate New York after winter break in late January, it felt like I was coming back to a cold version of hell. Completely cloudy, windy and blowing snow and temperatures in the teens. After a few weeks it seemed almost bearable.
Yeah I've been to Lake Placid in the middle of the winter. Excellent skiing conditions, but generally cold, cloudy, and snowy. Not sure how I would respond to living up there year-round, but even I might get sick of the winter after a while. Doesn't seem to end until well into April. It's really a whole different world compared to central and southern upstate new york/NJ/NYC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah I've been to Lake Placid in the middle of the winter. Excellent skiing conditions, but generally cold, cloudy, and snowy. Not sure how I would respond to living up there year-round, but even I might get sick of the winter after a while. Doesn't seem to end until well into April. It's really a whole different world compared to central and southern upstate new york/NJ/NYC.
Average January temps up there are about the same as Moscow or Montreal, with alot more snow.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM

25,118 posts, read 11,502,220 times
Quote:
It was actually not northern Upstate New York. Was Ithaca (Finger Lakes). But Late January happened to have unusually cold weather, so it felt rather miserable. Winters did feel to linger longer than downstate, but once it left, the weather was wonderful. The summers make it almost feel worth the winter. It's about 5 cooler than NYC, which doesn't sound like much, but is enough to make summer much more comfortable and the nights tended to cool down more.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,047,614 times
Anyone who has had the chance to spend time in Buffalo or Syracuse during the winter as well as Philly or Washington would know that the winters are nothing alike.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It was actually not northern Upstate New York. Was Ithaca (Finger Lakes). But Late January happened to have unusually cold weather, so it felt rather miserable. Winters did feel to linger longer than downstate, but once it left, the weather was wonderful. The summers make it almost feel worth the winter. It's about 5 cooler than NYC, which doesn't sound like much, but is enough to make summer much more comfortable and the nights tended to cool down more.
I compared Ithaca, NY to NW New Jersey and our average temperatures are virtually the same. Ithaca is just a tad cooler. We even have a lower all time record low than Ithaca. I would assume it has to do with elevation. I basically live in the coldest "pocket" of New Jersey. I'm guessing the key difference is that Ithaca is probably more prone to colder temperatures and slightly longer winters.

Ithaca is a three hour drive northwest of here, so despite the minimal temperature differences, they're significant enough to be noticed.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,580,258 times
ILMC, are you in Sussex county? My parents live in western Union country - it can be pretty cold there in the winter, especially at night. Daily highs are almost the same as in NYC but the lows are usually at least a few degrees colder.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

25,118 posts, read 11,502,220 times
Quote:
I compared Ithaca, NY to NW New Jersey and our average temperatures are virtually the same. Ithaca is just a tad cooler. We even have a lower all time record low than Ithaca. I would assume it has to do with elevation. I basically live in the coldest "pocket" of New Jersey. I'm guessing the key difference is that Ithaca is probably more prone to colder temperatures and slightly longer winters.

Ithaca is a three hour drive northwest of here, so despite the minimal temperature differences, they're significant enough to be noticed.
I looked up the averages for Sussex county myself. I was suprised how much colder it was than NYC or even Long Island. I had assumed your averages your closer to NYC than upstate since you complained about the summer being so hot. I guess my "ideal summer" is a way too hot summer for you.

The biggest difference between Ithaca and NW New jersey other than the clouds is it takes a while for it warm up in the spring, so winter feels long.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM

242 posts, read 275,052 times
I think I'd live in the snowbelt in the summer, and in an Upper South state in the rest of the seasons if I could.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
ILMC, are you in Sussex county? My parents live in western Union country - it can be pretty cold there in the winter, especially at night. Daily highs are almost the same as in NYC but the lows are usually at least a few degrees colder.
Yep. Union County is a tad warmer than Sussex, but most areas of New Jersey do get noticeably colder than NYC.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I looked up the averages for Sussex county myself. I was suprised how much colder it was than NYC or even Long Island. I had assumed your averages your closer to NYC than upstate since you complained about the summer being so hot. I guess my "ideal summer" is a way too hot summer for you.

The biggest difference between Ithaca and NW New jersey other than the clouds is it takes a while for it warm up in the spring, so winter feels long.
Yeah the longer winters are the key difference. I wonder what the average sunshine hours are here compared to Upstate New York. It is certainly cloudier there, but I would assume there isn't much of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather