Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,249,448 times

Advertisements

^^^Thanks for the link, I need to start bookmarking things lol.

Interior Mid-Atlantic Cities (North-South):

Rochester, NY - 92 inches
Syracuse, NY - 115 inches
Buffalo, NY - 93 inches
Albany, NY - 63 inches
Allentown, PA - 32 inches
Pittsburgh, PA - 43 inches
Harrisburg, PA - 34 inches

Coastal Mid-Atlantic Cities (North-South):

New York, NY (CP) - 28 inches
New York, NY (LGA) - 26 inches
Newark, NJ - 27 inches
New York, NY (JFK) - 22 inches
Philadelphia, PA - 20 inches
Baltimore, MD - 20 inches
Atlantic City, NJ - 15 inches
Washington, DC (Dulles) - 22 inches
Washington, DC (National) - 16 inches

I was going to include the average temperature for December, January, & February but I'm tired and they'd come out very wrong lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,148,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

I know that kind of snowfall is rare for those cities and I know NYC/Philly can and do see more than a coating.
Indeed. The city farthest south on the east coast that on average receives at least a foot of snow per winter is Richmond, Virginia (discounting the mountains further south).

Quote:
I was going to include the average temperature for December, January, & February but I'm tired and they'd come out very wrong lol.
Average Monthly Temperature

NYC

December 38 F
January 32 F
February 35 F

Philly

December 38 F
January 32 F
February 35 F

Washington DC

December 40 F
January 35 F
February 39 F

Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,438,412 times
NYC benefits a LOT from the heat island effect. As soon as you get away from the built up areas, temperatures, especially the lows, can get a lot lower. Morristown NJ for example, which is a stones throw away from NYC, has a January low of 18.4F.

Within an hour's drive on NYC you can reach a place that has a yearly average 5-6F colder. Sussex, NJ is pretty much as cold as Toronto and it at less than 500 feet elevation.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
NYC benefits a LOT from the heat island effect. As soon as you get away from the built up areas, temperatures, especially the lows, can get a lot lower. Morristown NJ for example, which is a stones throw away from NYC, has a January low of 18.4F.

Within an hour's drive on NYC you can reach a place that has a yearly average 5-6F colder. Sussex, NJ is pretty much as cold as Toronto and it at less than 500 feet elevation.
I live in NW New Jersey. Highest elevation I believe is 1300 ft. Lowest average low is 14 F.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post

A large part of the difference is coastal influence. In Long Island, an hour to two east of NYC, lows are in the mid 20s.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,438,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A large part of the difference is coastal influence. In Long Island, an hour to two east of NYC, lows are in the mid 20s.
True, but Long Island is still cooler overall than NYC. Average annual temps in the Hamptons are about 51F compared to over 54F in NYC.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Underrated if you like snow, I suppose, but combine Seattle like dreariness with below freezing temps for weeks, I don't think it's underrated.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Underrated if you like snow, I suppose, but combine Seattle like dreariness with below freezing temps for weeks, I don't think it's underrated.
Ideal conditions, IMO.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Ideal conditions, IMO.
When I used to come back to upstate New York after winter break in late January, it felt like I was coming back to a cold version of hell. Completely cloudy, windy and blowing snow and temperatures in the teens. After a few weeks it seemed almost bearable.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,314,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I used to come back to upstate New York after winter break in late January, it felt like I was coming back to a cold version of hell. Completely cloudy, windy and blowing snow and temperatures in the teens. After a few weeks it seemed almost bearable.
New York State is a funny bird:

Much of the state is rather high in elevation, gets a lot of snow in winter, and the far northern ends are very cold. Yet NYC and Long Island, are low, close to the coast, get far less snow in winter, and lows even out of the urban areas are much warmer. Upstate/Western NY (near the lakes) is not for the faint of heart when it comes to winter and snow/cold. Although the Midwest is colder and parts of the Great Lakes/Western States get more snow…northern NY combines the two in a long and tough winter.

People in NYC/Long Island have no idea what real winter is - lol (just kidding NYers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather