Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Maybe a smidgen under 22 C...
It feels "cold" when I'm not fully awake.

With those preferences, would I'd make a terrible Kiwi?
You would not survive in Kiwiland... not even during the warmest summer in the warmest part of the country. Most parts of the country have average summer highs under 22 C! And 'insulation' is not in a Kiwi's vocabulary.

Quote:
Our houses have to be built to withstand -40 C windchills, (else pipes might burst)
so a typical -10 C winter temp would only require intermittant heating; it wouldn't make sense to "suffer" with a cold house.
Wow, you guys must have top-notch insulation. Here I can have the heat pump and LPG blaring all day long on a 5 - 10 C day and I'll be lucky to get the temp into the high teens.

Quote:
No because "I" do not control the thermostat.
My room is only 75+ F (24+ C) when the heat is "free."
That's one of the reasons I dislike 80-90% of the autumn season.
Do most Toronto houses have AC? I'm guessing yours doesn't, or at least you don't use it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,096 times
London's definition of a heatwave is at least 2 consecutive days above 32C/90F with minima reaching no lower than 18C/64F.

I've also heard the defintion as 3 or 5 consecutive days above 30C/86F.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You would not survive in Kiwiland... not even during the warmest summer in the warmest part of the country. Most parts of the country have average summer highs under 22 C! And 'insulation' is not in a Kiwi's vocabulary.
Initially, the winters in Aukland looked attractive and summer's "so-so." (disregarding indoor comfort)
Thanks, now I know better.

Quote:
Wow, you guys must have top-notch insulation. Here I can have the heat pump and LPG blaring all day long on a 5 - 10 C day and I'll be lucky to get the temp into the high teens.
I did a test once.
-4 C outside and 22 C inside and shut off the heat.
The house cooled at a rate of 1 degree F every 50-55 min
which is probably 1 degree C every hour and a half.
How does that sound compared to an NZ home?

Our heating stops being intermittent when the windchill approaches -20 C... or on more often than not.
So like -15 C (it's usually not dead calm here) or -10 C with gusty conditions.

We use natural gas heating which is supposedly much more efficient than electrical heating.
At -30 C ambient we have no problem maintaining a 21-22 C central temperature,
(maybe 2-5 C colder standing beside the window, at most)
so it might be scary if our heat didn't shut off when it's +5 C outside.

Quote:
Do most Toronto houses have AC? I'm guessing yours doesn't, or at least you don't use it!
It does, central heating and air through floor vents and I block my vent with a towel in summer.
Plus we don't like our aircon set below 26 C/78 F and our aircon keeps our basement at 22-23 C/72-74 F.
(I can go to the basement if once in a blue-moon 26 C is not quite-right)

Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
London's definition of a heatwave is at least 2 consecutive days above 32C/90F with minima reaching no lower than 18C/64F.

I've also heard the defintion as 3 or 5 consecutive days above 30C/86F.
Our definition of heatwave excludes lows.
That's why I thought it was hilarious to hear on the radio "...Overnight mild, going down to a low 24 C..."
I think in Australia south of the 33rd parallel, a low of 24 C would be called a "hot night" or "very-hot night."

We "can" have 32+ C with lows under 18 C, but that kind of diurnal range is rare.

Unofficially, 3-5 days at 30C /86 F will be described as a heatwave, by "lay-people."

Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,412 times
I know for sure that we are more humid this summer than normal because we have yet to hit 100! It has been in the 90s for almost two months but no 100s. Today at 98 was the hottest so far, thankfully the humidity dropped significantly from when it was 88 feeling like 100. It still feels like 100 but with the actual temp just a couple degrees lower.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Wonder what's causing all this rain.

Record rain and floods in Canada's Prairies,
and now broad stretches of eastern North America stuck in a rainy pattern.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Wonder what's causing all this rain.

Record rain and floods in Canada's Prairies,
and now broad stretches of eastern North America stuck in a rainy pattern.
At least it's alleviating the drought conditions in the Great Lakes.

If only that rain would move further south. Much of the mid-atlantic is in a drought.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
Piece of trivia, the longest spell of consectutive days above 90F/ 32C is in Wyndham WA, at 333 (almost a whole year):
Weather Facts and Figures
Perth recorded 20 days above 32C in late January - February 1996, the record for a major non-tropical city here.
Adelaide has recorded hotter heat waves, but not for as long, as usually a southerly front will eventually break through.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
At least it's alleviating the drought conditions in the Great Lakes.

If only that rain would move further south. Much of the mid-atlantic is in a drought.
Yeah, but why does it have to happen in SUMMER?
I wish summer would remain in drought conditions,
then when autumn comes around and the temps are lousy we get the rain;
I'll be inside anyways, so what's the difference?

Take it, PLEASE!
We have enough rain that we could be fine until Labour Day, rainless from today onwards.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Piece of trivia, the longest spell of consectutive days above 90F/ 32C is in Wyndham WA, at 333 (almost a whole year):
Weather Facts and Figures
Perth recorded 20 days above 32C in late January - February 1996, the record for a major non-tropical city here.
Adelaide has recorded hotter heat waves, but not for as long, as usually a southerly front will eventually break through.
So Perth gets longer lasting heat waves than Adelaide, normally? Due to latitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather