U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,696,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know NYC is supposedly much colder and cloudier than it really is, most of what I read in the city vs city section is just hilarious, I don't go there (city vs city) anymore. I've had to prove time and time again that NYC isn't Minneapolis. I also read LA was very hot too lol.
Yes NYC's sunshine totals surprised me. Actually, most of the US was both sunnier on average and sunnier in summer than expected. How July sunshine in places like the South, which are supposed to be wet in summer, equals that of bone dry Southern California is rather perplexing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, I think from what I read the main reason why parts of the PNW is so dry in the summer has more to do with local topography than anything else. Seattle and Victoria are in a partial rain shadow which blocks out most of the moisture in July and August. There is some influence from the subtropical permanent high pressure zone but at 47-48 degrees north, it's so weak that it only provides stable weather for at most 1-2 months compared with say 4-5 months in more typically Mediterranean locales.
Partly explains why the Olympic Peninsula - at the same latitude as Seattle - is so wet in summer.

What I also find interesting is how northerly cold fronts approach in the N. Hemisphere vs the Southern Hemisphere. The main reason being the vastness of the southern oceans and lack of landmasses. Even Perth gets the (very) odd summer cold front, and it's at a latitude of San Diego. Nowhere in Mediterranean SW WA is rainless, while the rainless zone in California approaches the Oregon border, above 40'N. Albany, WA, at 35'S gets more summer rain than Seattle or Vancouver and is probably at the edge of the temperate maritime climatic zone.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,196,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You can leave New Zealand out of that comparison - it's patently false.
From what I can tell...places like NYC, Washington DC…etc annually receive about 2600 hours of sunshine…most cities in New Zealand receive about 1600 to 2100 hours of sunshine. Only a few cities report more sunshine. In fact, according to this (below) - even the sunniest city in New Zealand (Blenheim) receives only 2500…still less than NYC.

USA:

New Zealand
New Zealand Sun and Sunshine Hours

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-12-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,196,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes NYC's sunshine totals surprised me. Actually, most of the US was both sunnier on average and sunnier in summer than expected. How July sunshine in places like the South, which are supposed to be wet in summer, equals that of bone dry Southern California is rather perplexing.

...torrential, but quick duration rainfall. The cycle goes like this:

Sunrise....temps rocket/humidity rises...clouds build...thunder/lighting/torrential rain....steam comes up off hot pavement...sun comes back out...temps start rising again.

Day after day....

Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,132,732 times
It rains for maybe half an hour down south, then the sun comes back out...thus the high sunshine hours.

Although I do remember one year (2001?), I spent a month in Florida and it rained for hours and hours every afternoon. Must have been a fluke.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It rains for maybe half an hour down south, then the sun comes back out...thus the high sunshine hours.

Although I do remember one year (2001?), I spent a month in Florida and it rained for hours and hours every afternoon. Must have been a fluke.
From the stats it seems in Florida summer cloudiness only reaches appreciable levels below a line from Sarasota to Fort Pierce.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
...torrential, but quick duration rainfall. The cycle goes like this:

Sunrise....temps rocket/humidity rises...clouds build...thunder/lighting/torrential rain....steam comes up off hot pavement...sun comes back out...temps start rising again.

Day after day....
That is interesting. In Australia it's different. As you know, Sydney's summers are cloudier than their winters, and in summer it often rains 24/7.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,132,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
From the stats it seems in Florida summer cloudiness only reaches appreciable levels below a line from Sarasota to Fort Pierce.
I wonder why that is. Does South Florida receive more precipitation than the rest of the state? Could it have to do with South Florida's more prevalent "tropical" climate (I know it's subtropical...just don't want there to be another debate about the differences between subtropical and tropical- lol)?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 2,645,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
From what I can tell...places like NYC, Washington DC…etc annually receive about 2600 hours of sunshine…most cities in New Zealand receive about 1600 to 2100 hours of sunshine. Only a few cities report more sunshine. In fact, according to this (below) - even the sunniest city in New Zealand (Blenheim) receives only 2500…still less than NYC.

USA:

New Zealand
New Zealand Sun and Sunshine Hours

You were talking about doubling the winter sunshine levels - that's the totally false part:

"Places like Long Island, NY get about twice the number of hours of sunshine as places like Seattle, London, New Zealand...etc in winter."

Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You were talking about doubling the winter sunshine levels - that's the false part:

"Places like Long Island, NY get about twice the number of hours of sunshine as places like Seattle, London, New Zealand...etc in winter."
NZ is a little bit bigger than Seattle or London lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather