Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Check the numbers for Yuma, AZ if you want to fall off your chair - lol.

I think that much sun would lose it's appeal however.
Sunniest place on earth, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Are you sure it gets 10 hours? Nowhere on a list of 6 (other) places in NC shows as more than 67% in any summer month. Only if Durham gets more than 67%, or has 15 recordable hours at 67%, would that seem to stack up.

You also have to allow for latitude affecting possible sun totals - the figures I have for Perth Aero (may now be a year or two out of date) show both Dec & Jan getting about 360 hours, which amounts to 82-83% of possible, even with no horizon or instrumentation loss at all assumed.

Addendum on Yuma: monthly % values (annual 90%)

[SIZE=2]84[/SIZE][SIZE=2]87[/SIZE][SIZE=2]90[/SIZE][SIZE=2]94[/SIZE][SIZE=2]95[/SIZE][SIZE=2]97[/SIZE][SIZE=2]91[/SIZE][SIZE=2]91[/SIZE][SIZE=2]93[/SIZE][SIZE=2]92[/SIZE][SIZE=2]87[/SIZE][SIZE=2]82[/SIZE]
Maybe my memory is a little rusty...lol.

Perth Airport (?) isn't a good site to study, since records only began in 1992. Which is why it shows 8.8 hours a year - way too high to reflect Perth's sunniness. The old Perth RO site at Supreme Court Gardens averaged 7.9 hours, while the Mount Lawley Site is similar.

I think Perth gets like 10.8 hours in January, which is about 74%.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Sunniest place on earth, right?
Hmmm, you got me?

Could Yuma possibly be sunnier than the Sahara?
Maybe, but that seems like a stretch.

If you go by this...it looks like North Africa still gets more total solar output. Who knows how right these maps are though:

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe my memory is a little rusty...lol.

Perth Airport (?) isn't a good site to study, since records only began in 1992. Which is why it shows 8.8 hours a year - way too high to reflect Perth's sunniness. The old Perth RO site at Supreme Court Gardens averaged 7.9 hours, while the Mount Lawley Site is similar.

I think Perth gets like 10.8 hours in January, which is about 74%.
Yes - but the RO site was probably influenced by buildings - so you have to allow for that. What's the record span for Mt Lawley?

And regarding the 8.8 hours/year at the Aero, if that keeps up for another decade or so it will have to be accepted.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Hmmm, you got me?

If you go by this...it looks like North Africa still gets more total solar output. Who knows how right these maps are though:

Close to 4000 hours in part of the eastern Sahara, plus a lower latitude, could produce that result.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Hmmm, you got me?

Splitting hairs, imo. Kinda like the 'hottest', 'coldest' records. Yuma is the sunniest place that records are taken - there may be places in the Sahara without weather stations that are sunnier - but 94% or whatever it is is still pretty hard to top. Some Sahara stations might have more, but no more than very slightly, but it's very possible the SW deserts of the US are sunnier than the Sahara (aridity isn't just a matter of vastness). Nowhere on earth gets 100% possible sunshine.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Trimac20:

Your likley right. The NWS network in the USA is pretty accurate. There might be locations in the Sahara on par...but getting those obs would be difficult.

I just can't fathom what 94% of annual sunshine must be like - lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
San Francisco still gets 64% possible sun annually. Facts are more important than subjectivity.
Good total there really. During my last visit there last year, it were foggy over the first 3-4 days but very sunny afterwards with only 2 partly cloudy days over the course of 2 weeks (14 days). Got back to Sydney very tanned which disappeared very quickly during the coldest and wettest October in 10 years LOL. However suburbs west of the hills - Sunset and Richmond to name but two, and Twin Peaks to an lesser extent, seemed to get the worst of the fog. It were very brown and dry around south SF (especially around the airport) but much greener around Chrissy Field/GGB areas - no doubt the fog provides much moisture. The mornings were the best - calm, sunny and "warm". Only in the afternoons did the wind spring up thus ensuring the wearage of an jumper/jacket. One day it was 31oC - the humidity was incredible with no wind due to an off-shore airflow. Many people living in SF come from the "hotter and humid" southern states and they love the cool & much less humid climate . The difference between maximums/minimums weren't that large as compared to eastern states like NY, CT and MA to name but three for example.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
There is often a very great temperature gradient for Californian cities from the coast to inland suburbs.
San Francisco appears to be the case. Stats say the average summer max's are only 18C - thats wintry to me - but most people are still in summer clothing.
Sydney has a mediocre climate in my book, I have spent summers there where there was hardly any beach weather - either too cool, overcast or wet, making the tourist brochures of Bondi look laughable.
Canberra, often criticised as being too cold - and 100 frosts a year is not to be sneezed at - still has a balmy continental summer climate, and hence hotter than most think.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM

148 posts, read 323,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Sydney has a mediocre climate in my book, I have spent summers there where there was hardly any beach weather - either too cool, overcast or wet, making the tourist brochures of Bondi look laughable.
Canberra, often criticised as being too cold - and 100 frosts a year is not to be sneezed at - still has a balmy continental summer climate, and hence hotter than most think.
THANK YOU FOR THAT! Seriously I am sick of trying to convince people that I live in a cool to cold city that gets more rain than London or Seattle, and that barely gets more than around 10-15 hot days a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather