Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Those New York pictures are spectacular. I wonder if they were taken in the Adirondacks or the Catskill mountain regions? Pictures 4 and 5 remind me of Saranac Lake, NY and the north country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
I enjoy the beautiful colors of the pictures on the side of the ice cream truck in February while the rest are enjoying their 'seasons'. I understand that's something people in New York won't be enjoying anytime soon since the jingle those trucks play has just been banned! It just keeps getting worse there, doesn't it? How is anyone going to know when the ice cream is in their neighborhood?

Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I enjoy the beautiful colors of the pictures on the side of the ice cream truck in February while the rest are enjoying their 'seasons'. I understand that's something people in New York won't be enjoying anytime soon since the jingle those trucks play has just been banned! It just keeps getting worse there, doesn't it? How is anyone going to know when the ice cream is in their neighborhood?
Uh, yes...thank you for your input. Being over the age of seven, I typically procure my own ice cream. Nothing need jingle except my wallet.

Those pictures are just gorgeous...and yes, I've heard great things about season in the midwest too. And of course I know New England falls...ooooooh. That is something to behold...

Thanks, everyone, for taking part in this thread. Keep 'em coming! Pictures are welcome!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
It's typical to 'procure' ice cream from a truck in Las Vegas in February. I don't have pictures but I'm a painter, so let me paint this for you. They would show a characteristically blazing winter sunset while most of the country ( especially this year ) would have been socked in with a frozen overcast. The setting sun will hit the bare desert mountains that would glow in a rosy color you don't usually associate with most areas of the country. Colors of leaves, Mr SoCal? That's consequential to you? You're going to 'oooooooooh' over something like that, and then contemplate moving from L. A. to New Jersey? Over leaves? Now who's seven? I've listed a seasonal thing I like to do, it's something I did in Los Angeles in the 60's, and it's something I still like to do. Stay in California.

Last edited by milquetoast; 06-23-2007 at 03:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
I love our 4-season climate here in North Carolina. Lots of sun year round.

Summers - Hot, but not oppressive (here in Charlotte area). We do plenty of outdoor things all season. We can swim without getting chilled like some cooler areas. But the tempeture/humidity range varies greatly from the coast to the mountains. I'm pretty much speaking for the middle of NC (Piedmont area).

Falls - Aboslutely heavenly! Lots of beautiful colors in the changing leaves. It's doesn't get any better than a day drive down the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The outdoors are room tempeture with a slight cool breeze.

Winters - Cool to cold, but not extreme. In the Charlotte area, we get snow, but not enough to make you hate it. Enough for the kids to have fun and enjoy the beauty. Even during the winter, it's sunny most of the time.

Spring - Like fall, very beautiful and comfortable. LOTS of flowers in bloom.

NC has made me love all four seasons and the differences they offer. I don't think I could ever live in an area without four defined seasons. It's great!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks--I have been hearing more and more about NC lately. It seems like a gorgeous place to live!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
It's typical to 'procure' ice cream from a truck in Las Vegas in February. I don't have pictures but I'm a painter, so let me paint this for you. They would show a characteristically blazing winter sunset while most of the country ( especially this year ) would have been socked in with a frozen overcast. The setting sun will hit the bare desert mountains that would glow in a rosy color you don't usually associate with most areas of the country. Colors of leaves, Mr SoCal? That's consequential to you? You're going to 'oooooooooh' over something like that, and then contemplate moving from L. A. to New Jersey? Over leaves? Now who's seven? I've listed a seasonal thing I like to do, it's something I did in Los Angeles in the 60's, and it's something I still like to do. Stay in California.
Eh heh heh! That's Mrs. SoCal to you. You're right, fair's fair, and you listed your own favorite season. Fall was my favorite season on the east coast, seconded by spring, which just bursts out of absolutely everywhere in amazing colors to wash away the cold winter. I guess I should also list my favorite seasons now that I am in Cali...

Winter is my favorite SoCal season, because it rains a few times, and I love the sound and smell of the rain. It is also cooler then, which I really like.

SoCal seasons are very very subtle, but they do exist. We do have some deciduous trees here, and the leaves do fall, but they fall very late in the season. There are still many brown but clinging leaves at Christmas. The colors change in, I guess, late October. It is not as impressive to the eye as the colors are not quite as vibrant; I think vibrant fall colors come from extremes in temperature, which we don't have here.

I guess we must have Ice Cream Truck season, although watching an ice cream truck come barreling off the freeway and cut off other drivers just doesn't have the same fuzzy memories for me as the slow-moving trucks of my childhood which, in Pied Piper fashion, lured children to beg their parents for money ("The ICE CREAM TRUCK'S coming!") and tear back out of the house, screaming and waving arms. I mean what...we thought it wasn't going to stop and sell us anything? LOL. Memories...

Summer is by far the worst, and the longest, but I won't go into that as we're recounting "favorites" here!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
The pictures of New York were incredible--New England is picturesque--especially in fall.

I like the Blue Ridge mts---the foothills of the Appalachians. The blue haze is visible most of the year--better in the fall.

Spring in Atlanta is breathtaking from late February to April. Green, then yellow, pink and white. Dogwoods, jonquils, azaleas and cherry and apple trees.

The older trees form canopies across several streets. 'Go Green'.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 PM

105 posts, read 324,762 times
The door county peninsula in spring when all the cherry and apple trees are blossoming and in the fall when all the leaves change colors.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Those photos are spectacular , Future Cop. You are some photographer!
And, best of luck with your career. It's not in NYC, is it?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather