Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:32 PM

421 posts, read 3,213,620 times

Advertisements

Yes absolutely! Thank you DaninEFG. I'm sorry I meant to thank you in my last post but I was so frustrated with the NWS site after 2 days of no internet connection,that I forgot my manners. You have absolutely changed my mind about moving to snowy state. I started out looking at Virginia 7 months ago, then totally crossed it out once I saw that it got 7-24 inches of snow. Now that I understand the snow depth phenomenon thanks to your post, I'm back to looking at VA. Actually I was hoping you lived there too once I read that you snowblow your neighbors driveway :O)

I've only seen one car with cords coming out of the front. I thought something had broken or snapped and was falling out!

One more gripe about weather reports...doesn't it seem pointless to even report snowfall if it doesn't stick? It seems to me that they should just report snow depth. Otherwise its like saying, I had a million dollars but lost it 1 minute later!

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if you know of any snow depth maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,335,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I had a million dollars but lost it 1 minute later!
If you had it and lost it, this means that someone else got it. This means that the economy had some sort of an activity.

The same with snow. For farming, records, etc., it is important and shows activity and enables - some - forcasts.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Good point! I guess that if it snowed 4 inches and none stayed on the ground, you'd know that its melted into 4 inches worth of water..is that what you mean?
Now I see your point that farmers would want to know snowfall inches.

Hmmm ...so shouldn't they report the inches of melted snow just like inches of rain? ie "an inch of snow fell today, which turned into 1/2 inch of water, so there is no need to water your crops today"

Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM

I live in Colorado, and when it snows you may have 100 different reports, really. You have different elevations, winds, and sun angels so no one report can be accurate if you want to count where snow melted or not. But a map showing trends in inches of snow gives a much better understanding.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM

That hadn't even occured to me. So maybe thats why I can't find a map or table of snow depth for the US or by state?? It probably has to be for only a very small area.

I have spent so much time looking at weather data for the past 7 months (sunshine, hours of sunlight, inches of rain, inches of snow, humidity, relative humidity, dew point,# of clear days, partly cloudy days, cloudy days, temperature, apparent temperature...) but I still don't feel like I really understand the weather of any city that I haven't lived in.
Weather seems to be the most difficult thing to get a handle on.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Weather seems to be the most difficult thing to get a handle on.
This is true and and this profession is probably the only one where you can keep making mistakes and still have a job.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,910 times
Quote:
GRRRRRRR I can't find any snow depth maps! I've looked and looked....National Weather Service has the most difficult site to navigate. Its like following a mouse through a maze, an hour later you're totally lost and no closer to what you were looking for. Hmmm..maybe the DMV set up their website

I just wanted to see a map of annual or monthly snow depth all over the US..or even state by state...anything.

This site is great for snowfall numbers but not snow depth.
NCDC: U.S. Snow Monitoring

Anyone else knows where to look?

Here is what you are looking for...It is from the NOHRSC Natl Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center. They do snow analyses via satellite and actual observations each day. They are more interested into how much water is in the snow on the ground as it pertains to runoff and possible spring flooding. We gots lots of spring flooding along the Red River of the North alond the ND/MN border. But on this web site....you can use the left menu to select any day and date in the past (back to 2002)....it will come up snow water equivalent....go in and select snow depth there.....and then click on redraw map. You can use your mouse over the map to zoom in/out on area of interest.

NOHRSC Interactive Snow Information (broken link)

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 07-01-2007 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: to include internet link

Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
NOHRSC Interactive Snow Information (broken link)

Dan
Thanks again Dan! That is a very cool tool. I just wish it did a TYD so that we can get a better idea vs picking a date.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up Thank you DaninEFG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Interactive Snow Information Dan
THATS PERFECT!! Exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find. You're very kind. Thanks so much!

I'm going to name my first snowblower DaninEFG, in honor of you

Any idea if Northern Virginia is windy? Having moved to a very windy area (my idea of windy=48MPH) this year, I've just started to appreciate how the wind makes my allergies worse in the summer and makes the cold feel 10X worse in the winter. Before this year, I can't say I spent even 5 minutes of my life thinking about wind!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,910 times
Quote:
Any idea if Northern Virginia is windy? Having moved to a very windy area (my idea of windy=48MPH) this year, I've just started to appreciate how the wind makes my allergies worse in the summer and makes the cold feel 10X worse in the winter. Before this year, I can't say I spent even 5 minutes of my life thinking about wind!
Best I could do for you is a map I found on one wind energy website which rates areas of the nation from 1 to 7 in terms of wind power potential. So the lowest level would be low average wind speeds and so on upwards. For northern Virignia...closest to DC it is a 1 (low end) with higher average winds to the west along the Blue Ridge mountains and then west of that in the Applachians. If you are that windy in No Cal you must be either in a fairly high elevation or exposed along the coast I presume. Averages are averages of course. Certainly can be very windy for a day or two in DC area behind a big storm but overall DC and No VA is not considered a windy place (as compared to the plains at least).

Wind Energy Resource Atlas of the United States

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather