Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times

Advertisements

I have just checked the 15 day forecast for the Columbus Ohio area and believe me and I am angry as a hungry crocodile !!! It said for the next two weeks nothing but dry sunshine weather with no more rain in sight ( it did rain today but I am afraid that it may the last I'll see for quite awhile according to that horrible forecast). Also it said that the temps will be in the 80s for the first couple of days but after that it is supposed to get downright hot. I simply cannot stand long stretches of sunshine and dry weather and I have a tendency to get sick after awhile, and no, moving is not an option because we have commitments in this area and it is more easier said than done. If I wanted long stretches of sun , I would go vacation in the Sunbelt area. Our lawns are still lush and green( we have been lucky so far this summer with receiving the normal amount of rain) but however by the time the next forecasted rain arrives -which is not in the next two weeks - everything will be parched and brown! I also believe I may be allergic to the sun because if there is no break in it after about 4 or 5 days I get nasty migraine headaches. Also bright sun hurts my eyes. It seems like I did something very bad unknowingly somewhere and the Gods and Heavens are punishing me with this upcoming forecast in my area. No, I am not being a crybaby but ongoing sunny weather does literally put me "under the weather "and plus I am of Irish decent with very fair skin. Anyone else out there have problems with ongoing hot dry sunny weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
I don't think I have any personal health issues associated with long stretches of sunny, hot weather. However, I do find it annoying and boring. After weeks of dry weather the grass turns brown, everything gets dusty and dirty, and the earth is just starved for water. I'll take weeks of cloudy, wet weather over that.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
What? Columbus is so close? Like a 5 hr drive.

We have seen too much cloud, and zero hot temperatures (90+ F) in August.
We are getting plenty of hours of drizzle, and 5 times as many cloud hours as rain.

Long stretches of sunshine and dry weather?
That is somethign I can only dream about.
So far this summer, 3/5ths of all summer days have had thick partly cloudy skies or cloudier.

I now find I hate when the sun isn't bright.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
We're getting soaked here. I don't mind though - this summer has been very dry and large patches of grass are straw.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I love sunny hot dry weather. Too bad we don't get enough of it here outside the summer months. The only problem with it is that it generally creates the conditions for lots of forest fires which have been a problem in some areas here this summer.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I don't think I have any personal health issues associated with long stretches of sunny, hot weather. However, I do find it annoying and boring. After weeks of dry weather the grass turns brown, everything gets dusty and dirty, and the earth is just starved for water. I'll take weeks of cloudy, wet weather over that.
The OP should come to Phoenix and live here for a while to find out what REAL hot, dry weather is like. It truly is annoying and boring. Many people here actually welcome the dry heat because it supposedly feels better than humid heat, which may be true to a certain point. However, dry heat can create its own health problems ... or at least worsen existing health issues. Sjogrens Syndrome is one condition that comes to mind, which may not be caused by dry weather, but it is worsened in dry conditions.

One nice thing about living in Arizona during the summer months is nice weather is not that far away. A two hour drive north or east of Phoenix will take you into the cool pine country where temperatures are easily 30 degrees cooler. Also, the eastern mountains of Arizona tend to receive quite a bit of rain during July & August thanks to the monsoonal flow, so it's even cooler after it rains.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
It has been hot and but not dry here this summer. Lots of overcast, humid days (more so than usual) plus record rainfall, 20" so far breaking the 18" from 1914 and August isn't over yet! I've been to AZ and I'll still take the humidity (although I did whine about it a little this summer).

Last summer was cooler than normal (summer here is cool by most people's standards)! This summer everyone is talking about warm temps, humidity, high overnight lows (above 70). I used my AC for 2 weeks straight, previous 2 summers, I used it 3 times total! We saw lots of 80's and our average high for summer isn't 80.

I like variety, days on end of one kind of weather, gets on my nerves no matter what kind it is.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM

74 posts, read 121,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The OP should come to Phoenix and live here for a while to find out what REAL hot, dry weather is like. It truly is annoying and boring.
i agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Many people here actually welcome the dry heat because it supposedly feels better than humid heat
i never got that ("dry heat").
yes there is a huge difference of 85 degree with humidity vs no humidity,but when it's ~110,it's hot.

OP,some people can't handle the heat and/or sun.some medications can intensify it.
i use to have a problem with the sun.i seam to got over it,but i sweat like a pig (if pigs really sweat) in heat.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I have just checked the 15 day forecast for the Columbus Ohio area and believe me and I am angry as a hungry crocodile !!! It said for the next two weeks nothing but dry sunshine weather with no more rain in sight ( it did rain today but I am afraid that it may the last I'll see for quite awhile according to that horrible forecast). Also it said that the temps will be in the 80s for the first couple of days but after that it is supposed to get downright hot. I simply cannot stand long stretches of sunshine and dry weather and I have a tendency to get sick after awhile, and no, moving is not an option because we have commitments in this area and it is more easier said than done. If I wanted long stretches of sun , I would go vacation in the Sunbelt area. Our lawns are still lush and green( we have been lucky so far this summer with receiving the normal amount of rain) but however by the time the next forecasted rain arrives -which is not in the next two weeks - everything will be parched and brown! I also believe I may be allergic to the sun because if there is no break in it after about 4 or 5 days I get nasty migraine headaches. Also bright sun hurts my eyes. It seems like I did something very bad unknowingly somewhere and the Gods and Heavens are punishing me with this upcoming forecast in my area. No, I am not being a crybaby but ongoing sunny weather does literally put me "under the weather "and plus I am of Irish decent with very fair skin. Anyone else out there have problems with ongoing hot dry sunny weather?
I totally get you. Been absolutely awful this month so far with little rain & too much sun & persistently dry westerly winds blowing .

At least it's been, thankfully, cooler, down around 2 - 3oC from last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather