Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,286,191 times

Advertisements

By December 26th I'm prepared for March but that's about it lol.

Nothing really, maybe a new coat or boots but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,748,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I guess it depends on the weather station. According to wunderground, at 10PM it was 70 F (still very warm for that time of night in October). Then it steadily dropped into the 60s as the night went on.
Not for Toronto. I was outside. I remember.
10 pm, not so sure but at 8:30pm (still in the dark) it was definitely 78 F or more.
At sunset my shirt collar was sticking to my neck.
I think I recall 73-74 F at midnight.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 PM

My ears can't handle windchills of 32 F without a warm hat, (which I try to avoid)
so I start growing bushy sideburns in September which helps cut down the wind.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
I buy my travellers insurance and my ticket to Florida.LOL

Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,238,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What? You too?
You hate 75+ F air temps when your dry, but find 80's F too cool to swim?
Yep, I like cold weather but I like to be bundled up for it if outside and preferably enjoying it from inside. Unless the weather is pretty hot, the water (for swimming) gets cold (unless heated) and if its breezy, it makes me shiver when you get out. Too cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I buy my travellers insurance and my ticket to Florida.LOL

Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yep, I like cold weather but I like to be bundled up for it if outside and preferably enjoying it from inside. Unless the weather is pretty hot, the water (for swimming) gets cold (unless heated) and if its breezy, it makes me shiver when you get out. Too cold.
I'm still confused why a bit of shivering is "too cold" for you, yet you love cold.

I see about 150 days a year where I am more uncomfortable from cold than just from shivering, and bundling up doesn't help much.
If shivering was the worst I saw here, our cold would be a joke.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,238,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm still confused why a bit of shivering is "too cold" for you, yet you love cold.

I see about 150 days a year where I am more uncomfortable from cold than just from shivering.
If shivering was the worst I saw here, our cold would be a joke.
Ok, let me see if I can explain. I don't enjoy being "uncomfortably cold" anymore than "uncomfortably hot." I like winter because I find it feels better to me to be able to layer on some heavy clothing if it's cold and dash around as needed than to wear light clothing in the summer and dash around in the heat. ( A little bit of cold as you run around feels refreshing to me, a little bit of hot does not.) Inside it feels better to me to use the heat and regulate the temp than using the a/c does. And I love it in the Fall when it's just slightly chilly in the house and you can go to bed and cover up with a blanket not using a/c or heat! That feels good to me. Shivering getting out of a pool does not. Hope that makes sense.

Now you have issues with your fingers that make it different. Is it Raynaud's that you have? I had an issue with just one of my fingers some years back and it was painful to get out in the cold and I didn't like it then either cause it hurt. But thankfully, I still have some sensitivity in that finger at times, but the cold no longer bothers it.)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times
( regarding cold fingers)

My brother-in-law lost a finger in a farm accident.

He said last winter it was really hard to keep that finger warm.

Seriously, he said it felt like the finger was still there, but " stinging" from the cold all winter.

Other people who have fingers missing have experienced the same.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Ok, let me see if I can explain. I don't enjoy being "uncomfortably cold" anymore than "uncomfortably hot." I like winter because I find it feels better to me to be able to layer on some heavy clothing if it's cold and dash around as needed than to wear light clothing in the summer and dash around in the heat. ( A little bit of cold as you run around feels refreshing to me, a little bit of hot does not.) Inside it feels better to me to use the heat and regulate the temp than using the a/c does. And I love it in the Fall when it's just slightly chilly in the house and you can go to bed and cover up with a blanket not using a/c or heat! That feels good to me. Shivering getting out of a pool does not. Hope that makes sense.

Now you have issues with your fingers that make it different. Is it Raynaud's that you have? I had an issue with just one of my fingers some years back and it was painful to get out in the cold and I didn't like it then either cause it hurt. But thankfully, I still have some sensitivity in that finger at times, but the cold no longer bothers it.)
Vaugely...
Uncomfortably-hot for me means "...throbbing pulse, dizziness, feeling weak/faint..."
That almost never happens to me, and any heat less than that is quite-comfy, even covered in sweat.
Uncomfortably-cold is redundant for me, as I feel uncomfortably-chilled in air before feeling distinctly-cold.
I suppose because mentally, coolness is seldom prefered.

Water is different because I don't expect optimum comfort,
and cool water seems to affect my core more than my skin surface vs. cool/cold air.

Not just fingers, but toes, ears, nose and cheeks too.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for swimming, I personally don't enjoy getting out of a pool, especially when the wind is blowing. Then if the pool isn't heated, it can initially feel quite chilly when you go in, which is why I prefer to swim in hotter weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Uncomfortably-hot for me means "...throbbing pulse, dizziness, feeling weak/faint..."
That almost never happens to me, and any heat less than that is quite-comfy, even covered in sweat.
Uncomfortably-cold is redundant for me, as I feel uncomfortably-chilled in air before feeling distinctly-cold.
When I'm sweating and exposed to heat and sun for a prolonged period of time, that's when I usually feel uncomfortable. There were a few days this year where I felt like I was on the verge of heat stroke.

I love it when I start to feel a chill in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Water is different because I don't expect optimum comfort,
and cool water seems to affect my core more than my skin surface vs. cool/cold air.
When swimming, I'm usually seeking optimum comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather