Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM

51 posts, read 26,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
At least in Melbourne there's hope for brief spells of excellence.
That's our saving grace, but some summers are just garbage and we won't exceed 40C.

Quote:
Well I was describing a winter month,
but if I had to estimate Dec 1st to Feb 28th...
maybe 20-25 days with over 5 hrs of sun and 3-8 days with over 8 hrs.
(I'd count 7+ hrs of sun "sunny"; our daylength is also a little shorter)

How many sunless days do you think would be average for a Melbourne winter?
Not sure, this winter we had 6 days with flat out 0 sunshine, but 24 with <1 hour sun per day. So that's almost 1/3rd of the winter which has been essentially overcast

Quote:
Toronto, from Dec-Feb that's 90 days.
Out of that I would expect 20-30 sunless days, or zero whole hours of sun.
Add another 20-35 days that are virtually sunless, with 1-3 hrs of sun.

Sydney isn't a fair comparison, imho
as it has the peculiar pattern of having winter as the sunniest time of year for % chance of sun.
Canberra, Adelaide or Hobart would be though.
Sydney is a fair comparison because it's Melbourne's most hated place

In Adelaide, they had 4 days with 0 sun, and 12 days with <1 hour. But they have a few days without data.

Hobart is a surprise, only 1 days with 0 sun and 9 days <1 hour. And Hobart has been sunnier than both Adelaide and Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .SAB. View Post

Not sure, this winter we had 6 days with flat out 0 sunshine, but 24 with <1 hour sun per day. So that's almost 1/3rd of the winter which has been essentially overcast

Sydney is a fair comparison because it's Melbourne's most hated place

In Adelaide, they had 4 days with 0 sun, and 12 days with <1 hour. But they have a few days without data.

Hobart is a surprise, only 1 days with 0 sun and 9 days <1 hour. And Hobart has been sunnier than both Adelaide and Melbourne.
It still seems Toronto's winters are 50% cloudier than Melbourne; feels like half our winter has <1 hr of sun normally.

Funny about Hobart.
But how did they fair for temperatures?
I think I would prefer slightly less sun to have temps being 3+ C warmer.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

51 posts, read 26,621 times
Quote:
It still seems Toronto's winters are 50% cloudier than Melbourne; feels like half our winter has <1 hr of sun normally.

Funny about Hobart.
But how did they fair for temperatures?
I think I would prefer slightly less sun to have temps being 3+ C warmer.
It's actually not as cold as one would imagine. Hobart's only 1-1.5C colder than Melbourne, and actually WARMER than many locations in northern Victoria and southern NSW, atleast this season.

Hobart ....... 5.0/13.4 ..... 5.0/13.9 ..... 5.3/13.8

Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .SAB. View Post
It's actually not as cold as one would imagine. Hobart's only 1-1.5C colder than Melbourne, and actually WARMER than many locations in northern Victoria and southern NSW, atleast this season.

Hobart ....... 5.0/13.4 ..... 5.0/13.9 ..... 5.3/13.8
Stellar for winter in its latitude,
though their summers are probably not something to write home about.

Minor benefit, Hobart has the latest summer sunsets in Australia.
Reminds me, I found 21 C/70 F in Ft. McMurray at 10 pm, standing in the bright sunshine on a clear day quite enjoyable.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyMelbourne View Post
It really is surprising. Places like Albury and Wagga Wagga (right up through southern inland NSW) are average 12-13C during the day and 2-3 at night. Even Swan Hill is less than 1 degree warmer These are places that are almost a full 10º further north: Hobart is at 43 lat, Wagga Wagga and Swan Hill around 34 and Albury 35 deg, and these are low elevation aswell.

Their summers are ofcourse nothing to crow home about, exponentially colder than Melbourne, much the same way how Melbourne is exponentially colder than Adelaide. The warmest avg highs you can expect are around 23-24C, but 21 is the long term.
Are you saying Albury, Wagga Wagga and Swan Hill all have cool summers too?

Quote:
As an astronomer, daylight at 10pm does not sound like my cup of tea
Well at least it wasn't cold.
Would you prefer the latest annual sunset being 6:48 pm like in Brisbane?
I enjoy summer sunsets at 8 pm or later.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 AM

46 posts, read 30,920 times
Quote:
Are you saying Albury, Wagga Wagga and Swan Hill all have cool summers too?
Nah, these places are well into the 30's in summer.

Quote:
Well at least it wasn't cold.
Would you prefer the latest annual sunset being 6:48 pm like in Brisbane?
I enjoy summer sunsets at 8 pm or later.
Brisbane's setup is crap, becasue that sunset is way to early, and they have the sun up by 5.30am. A disaster after a night of drinking. I prefer Melbourne's SS-SR times in summer.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawn View Post
Nah, these places are well into the 30's in summer.

Brisbane's setup is crap, becasue that sunset is way to early, and they have the sun up by 5.30am. A disaster after a night of drinking. I prefer Melbourne's SS-SR times in summer.
I could be wrong here, but from what I've read, on the longest day in Brissie, the sun sets at around 6.50pm? Youch.... I guess the flispide is that on their shortest day, it sets around 5pm....

Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I could be wrong here, but from what I've read, on the longest day in Brissie, the sun sets at around 6.50pm? Youch.... I guess the flispide is that on their shortest day, it sets around 5pm....
Brisbane is significantly east of the meridian which is used for the time in the east, biasing its times about 12 minutes earlier than a 12-noon annual average zenith time. Wellington averages about 21-22 minutes later than noon (NZ set from 180 meridian), Santiago 42 minutes later (and they use daylight saving in summer as well!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather