Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
South Padre usually doesn't get below 35F.
Did it drop below freezing in South Padre last winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Did it drop below freezing in South Padre last winter?
South Padre was right at the freezing mark.
Pretty amazing for Texas, considering Miami hit 32-34ish, and Ft.Myers hitting 30.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
South Padre was right at the freezing mark.
Pretty amazing for Texas, considering Miami hit 32-34ish, and Ft.Myers hitting 30.
Really nice pictures.

It really doesn't surprise me however that coconut palms grow along the coast of south Texas…since you are deep in the American subtropics. I think that’s what most folks forget…that beyond one or two frosty nights each year (that last for a matter of hours)…the coastal plain of the Gulf and South Atlantic states are annually very warm climates.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
I guess it helps that the winters are very dry in this region. As I understand, cold and dry is much better than cold and wet for palms. While the low temps may be milder in SoCal, the combination of chilly temps and rain makes it almost impossibile to grow cocos there.

South Texas may get a few freezing (or near freezing) nights during winter, but it also gets plenty of 80+ F days to compensate.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Here in Portland, we average 1-3 nights a year of freezes, and when it does happen, its only for a few hours. There are years that we don't have a freeze at all. I wouldn't be surprised if I could grow a coconut palm here. We can grow alot of other citrus trees and plants here (just ate an orange from my brother's orange tree yesterday).

Ian

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Citrus is actually very hardy, they cruised through 20 degrees here in Houston no problem.
You probably have a decent chance of growing a coconut in Portland, Texas if you're right by water.
There are a few fruiting coconuts on North Padre Island.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Coconuts do quite well in Port Isabel/South Padre Island, they tend to get a little burnt every few winters in Brownsville.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Citrus is actually very hardy, they cruised through 20 degrees here in Houston no problem.
You probably have a decent chance of growing a coconut in Portland, Texas if you're right by water.
There are a few fruiting coconuts on North Padre Island.
That might be a worthwhile experiement, Zone. I just might try that. I live about a mile from the water. You think there would be any chance of a bananna tree surviving?

Ian

Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
That might be a worthwhile experiement, Zone. I just might try that. I live about a mile from the water.
You think there would be any chance of a bananna tree surviving?

Ian
Um, bananas grow like WEEDS in New Orleans.
I've had fresh bananas for breakfast at a B&B there; so fresh the bananas were juicy. (who'da thunk? )
Bananas require more than 12 months to mature their fruit, (18-24 months?) so obviously the past winter had to have been very mild.
I'm surprised you haven't seen any in your part of Texas, since your winters "should" be milder than NOLA's.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Um, bananas grow like WEEDS in New Orleans.
I've had fresh bananas for breakfast at a B&B there; so fresh the bananas were juicy. (who'da thunk? )
Bananas require more than 12 months to mature their fruit, (18-24 months?) so obviously the past winter had to have been very mild.
I'm surprised you haven't seen any in your part of Texas, since your winters "should" be milder than NOLA's.
There are banannas that are grown in the Valley, Haven't really seen much in that way along the coast for whatever reason, although I have no doubt if New Orleans can grow them, we could EASILY grow them here, as our winters (especially nights) are considerably more mild. Perhaps I need to look a bit harder and I would I would find them here (haven't really researched it that much, just more assumed).

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather