Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

What is Melbourne's extremem maximum? Wikipedia lists 115.

Are there any other places that have such extreme swings? Coastal southern California (Santa Barbara, Los Angeles) averages in the mid 70s (24-25C) and has recorded up to 115F, but I don't think it has swings like that regularly.

In September during a heat wave, it was hotter in LA city center (113F) than Death Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM

87 posts, read 120,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, I believe 134F is not beyond the realms of possibility for Death Valley...

although, there's one interesting fact alot of people overlook:

these super-hot areas can consistently hit the high 40s or even low 50s, but they kind of top out there as well. Why? Because they're already so damn hot, there's not alot that can make them even hotter. In contrast, cities like Melbourne are prone to huge temp swings; if the conditions are right, it can be hotter in Melbourne than the heart of the hottest deserts. Melbourne has a higher extreme maximum than some stations in Central Australia, believe it or not. There's the potential for temps to leap well above average during extreme conditions, while Death Valley is already so extreme during MOST of the summer.

With global warming 60C probably isn't all that far off. I've heard unofficial reports of 60C in the Iranian desert.

For a long time Australia's record was 53.1 C at Cloncurry, which has now been 'debunked.' Pretty much all the state records were debunked, including a 51C+ at Mildura and Swan Reach, Victoria. I found the 50.7C claim for Eucla, WA, interesting: it's right at the bottom of the state. Despite being on the coast at a latitude of about 31'S, nearby Eyre has dropped to -7C which is kind of weirdly cold if you ask me. Especially when you consider southernmost Albany hasn't got below 1C before.

Eyre is an extraordinary climate. I believe it holds Australia's record for diurnal temp range, with 6.8C-44.2C recorded on the same day on March 5 2008. This location can also see near sub-zero temps in mid summer, often with high temps exceeding 45C in the same month. A great example is Dec 2005 - the extreme low of 0.9C (preceeding a high of 33.4C on the same day) was followed by an extreme high of 47.5C two weeks later. The cooler months can see extreme temp ranges aswell, for example a low of -1.1C was followed by a high of 28.5C Sept 16, 2008, and -0.8C to 32.1C on Aug 29, 2007. Then, in September 2006, an overnight low of -2.2C on the 14th was followed by a high of 37.0C on the 16th.

It's an amazing climate, and being on the coast I find it extraordinary. Apparently, the weather station is located in a region of sand dunes and the rapid cooling and heating properties of sand is the the likely cause of these unreal temp swings.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post
Eyre is an extraordinary climate. I believe it holds Australia's record for diurnal temp range, with 6.8C-44.2C recorded on the same day on March 5 2008. This location can also see near sub-zero temps in mid summer, often with high temps exceeding 45C in the same month. A great example is Dec 2005 - the extreme low of 0.9C (preceeding a high of 33.4C on the same day) was followed by an extreme high of 47.5C two weeks later. The cooler months can see extreme temp ranges aswell, for example a low of -1.1C was followed by a high of 28.5C Sept 16, 2008, and -0.8C to 32.1C on Aug 29, 2007. Then, in September 2006, an overnight low of -2.2C on the 14th was followed by a high of 37.0C on the 16th.

It's an amazing climate, and being on the coast I find it extraordinary. Apparently, the weather station is located in a region of sand dunes and the rapid cooling and heating properties of sand is the the likely cause of these unreal temp swings.
Yes, that might have something to do with it. Also, being of the shape of the coastline it isn't exposed to warmer moist westerlies as the west coast is. But yes there's something about the cooling properties of the sand there, and also the fact it is so isolated makes it cold. There a

Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post

Yes, that might have something to do with it. Also, being of the shape of the coastline it isn't exposed to warmer moist westerlies as the west coast is. But yes there's something about the cooling properties of the sand there, and also the fact it is so isolated makes it cold. There are a few parts of Southern WA that can get pretty cold in summer.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM

150 posts, read 560,593 times
Some day...and it may take another 100 years...Death Valley, CA will be proven to be the hottest place on earth. How can it not be with a name like "Death Valley". lol

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Some day...and it may take another 100 years...Death Valley, CA will be proven to be the hottest place on earth. How can it not be with a name like "Death Valley". lol
It has: Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That is quite an interesting article - Here is the part that is the most fascinating:

“The World Survey of Climatology, Vol. 10: Climates of Africa reproduced this map of possible absolute extreme maximum temperatures, but it is based upon the dubious maximums recorded during the colonial era, and, in fact, no temperature above 124°F (52°C) has ever been recorded in the Sahara Desert in modern records.”Yet…he also writes:

“ Death Valley, California (see list below) and the Colorado Desert in the southern part of the state (where anecdotal temperatures as high as 130°F have been reported and temperatures as hot as 126°F (52.2°C) officially measured (at Thermal on July 28, 1995 and Mecca on June 26, 1990). Also, the Colorado River Valley from the southern tip of Nevada to the Gulf of California can be as hot or even hotter, with an official reading of 128°F (53.3°C) measured at Lake Havasu City, Arizona on June 29, 1994

Keep in mind that article is even a bit dated. Death Valley recorded 128 F just a few years ago. It’s a bit shocking, but not surprising to think of Death Valley as hotter than the Sahara. I think because deserts like the Sahara are so steeped in history they are the first thing we think of when we think of the world’s hottest desert climates. One day, they will record a temp of 140 F in Death Valley, I really think it's possible.

Indeed…the American desert climates are some of the hottest on earth.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That is quite an interesting article - Here is the part that is the most fascinating:

“The World Survey of Climatology, Vol. 10: Climates of Africa reproduced this map of possible absolute extreme maximum temperatures, but it is based upon the dubious maximums recorded during the colonial era, and, in fact, no temperature above 124°F (52°C) has ever been recorded in the Sahara Desert in modern records.”Yet…he also writes:

“ Death Valley, California (see list below) and the Colorado Desert in the southern part of the state (where anecdotal temperatures as high as 130°F have been reported and temperatures as hot as 126°F (52.2°C) officially measured (at Thermal on July 28, 1995 and Mecca on June 26, 1990). Also, the Colorado River Valley from the southern tip of Nevada to the Gulf of California can be as hot or even hotter, with an official reading of 128°F (53.3°C) measured at Lake Havasu City, Arizona on June 29, 1994

Keep in mind that article is even a bit dated. Death Valley recorded 128 F just a few years ago. It’s a bit shocking, but not surprising to think of Death Valley as hotter than the Sahara. I think because deserts like the Sahara are so steeped in history they are the first thing we think of when we think of the world’s hottest desert climates. One day, they will record a temp of 140 F in Death Valley, I really think it's possible.

Indeed…the American desert climates are some of the hottest on earth.
Death Valley is just a unique place. Below sea-level in a narrow valley, with peaks over 3,000 metres to one side (and Mt Whitney not far away) - nowhere really like it. The Dead Sea and Turpan depression come close though.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM

129 posts, read 243,701 times
The arctic.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What is Melbourne's extremem maximum? Wikipedia lists 115.

Are there any other places that have such extreme swings? Coastal southern California (Santa Barbara, Los Angeles) averages in the mid 70s (24-25C) and has recorded up to 115F, but I don't think it has swings like that regularly.

In September during a heat wave, it was hotter in LA city center (113F) than Death Valley.
46.4C at the official city center station, although numerous suburbs exceeded 47C. Avalon Airport (roughly halfway between Melbourne and Geelong) reached 47.9C.

It should be noted that particular day only received some 8 hours of bright sunshine out of a possible 13-14, due to smoke haze and cloud development in the afternoon. I'm sure if it had stayed clear, temps probably would've exceeded 48C in many parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather