Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times

Advertisements

Where do you get those amazing maps, wavehunter? I know you have some books you scan from, from time to time. I would love to see more of them!!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In the NY area, lots of stores and offices would have A/C even on a day with a high of 75°F. Some really had for ventilation and because the buildings would heat up to much hotter than 75°F without A/C, but a lot seemed like they had the A/C mindlessly on because it's summer and we need A/C. Or it never occurs to anyone to turn the A/C down/off, so it just gets colder inside since it's a cooler outside already and the thermostat doesn't work well.

Probably Florida works the same way? Stores are finally not as cold now that it's fall. But I'm wearing warmer clothing now, anyway. I really hate the let's make it cold when I'm not wearing warm clothing.
That is true. It would be nice if they at least turned them down on the cooler days. Good way to cut costs.

I wish some buildings would open doors and windows on the cooler days. The library at my school did this recently and the fresh air was wonderful.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
@Infamous92 -

I can only guess at some of the answers …since the map is the work of the University of Florida at Orlando. I do see the reddish color around Ft/Myers – it is a bit puzzling: My guess is that it is off a bit (maybe the color is off?). Using NWS information - the cool/dry season starts (meaning average lows fall below 60 F) around Ft. Myers the last week of November or the first week of December. For example, at Ft. Myers NWS, November 19th is annually the first night of the New Year that lows fall below 60 F. So the color is off if it is showing late October.

@deneb78 –

Good point. Winsberg points this out in his studies. Most of the stations in far coastal southeast Florida (Miami Beach, Palm Beach…etc) and the Florida Keys never have a week in the three winter months when the average lows are below 60 F. In fact, in Key West the average January low is 65 F, and February the average low is 66 F. So in a technicical sense…the cool season might not ever arrive in deep coastal south Florida or the Florida Keys. However in a sensible weather perspective ( having spent a lot of time in deep south Florida at all times of year) – there is a noticeable difference in dew points/humidity between say January or February… compared to June or August. Of course precipation falls off a cliff in deep south Florida in winter as well. I think (a guess) this is what Winsberg was trying to get at: The time of year when the wet season ends/dew points fall, and drier air on northwest winds (continental) mix more frequently with the onshore southeast winds (tropical). To be sure that are days in Dec – Feb that are in the middle 80’s with high dew points…but they are far more uncommon than in the hot/wet season from May to November in south Florida.

@CC

I tend to agree about the over use of the AC in Florida. On an 78 F day in February in Ft. Lauderdale…one came come off the beach (and you know on the sand it is even hotter)…and walk into a restaurant and they have it at 58 F with that blasted AC on high till your fingers turn blue. I was laughing reading your “hurry to get back outside” comment. This also happens to me quite often. When I with family/friends they like the break from the sun and heat (realtively speaking), but I’m often the last one in and the first one out of the restaurant/store..etc. The only thing I will say… is that I do use the AC at night in winter when I am in south Florida a fair amount of time. I love the heat anyway, and humidity doesn’t bother me that much, but I sleep best with a slight chill. It seems once the sun goes down…the air is slightly too humid to sleep, and my body temp is often still very elevated from being out in the sun/or on beach. Still, on many days we leave the condo sliders open (we are seven floors up) and the sea breeze is perfect for enough air movement. The sea breeze can be strong in south Florida at night in winter ...it often rattles the screen in the sliders -lol.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-10-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Here in south FL (25 miles NW of Miami) we have been hitting mid-60s consistently for the last week during the morning...I don't remember it ever getting this consistently cool early in the season. It's weird because last year was quite the opposite (We didn't start getting 60s consistently until December) and we had one of the hottest octobers on record last year. It's also been really dry during the daytime hours. The earliest recorded low below 60F was in 1976 when it hit 58F on October 4th.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Very odd. 63 F with rain is chilly by South Florida standards.
How can it be, when nowhere inside ever felt even that warm to the skin?

Imho, 80+% of residents of South Florida should not be living in a warm climate.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
@CC

I tend to agree about the over use of the AC in Florida. On an 78 F day in February in Ft. Lauderdale…one came come off the beach (and you know on the sand it is even hotter)…and walk into a restaurant and they have it at 58 F with that blasted AC on high till your fingers turn blue. I was laughing reading your “hurry to get back outside” comment. This also happens to me quite often.
You saw the thermostat literally set at 58 F?

There have been days here with light winds and overcast skies at 58 F where my fingers were too cold... and this is WHILE being acclimated to non-summer weather.

What do you think about my comment:
80+% of South Floridians shouldn't be living in a warm climate?

Seems most of them think a day at 80 F with even trace amounts of humidity are "vile",
while most Torontonians would either be indifferent or happy with those conditions.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-10-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How can it be, when nowhere inside ever felt even that warm to the skin?
Well 63 F inside is a very chilly temperature, so I'm surprised to hear the A/C was set all the way down to 58 F! 63 F outside can either feel cool or mild depending on the season. During the summer 63 F with rain is fairly chilly up here, so I'd assume the same conditions would feel cool in South Florida during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Imho, 80+% of residents of South Florida should not be living in a warm climate.
Some claim to prefer climates like Florida yet they're always running to their air conditoned cars, homes, and offices. Perhaps some South Florida residents could chime in and explain their "A/C usage" during the cooler months. I would assume that while it may be necessary to turn on some days, there's still several where no A/C is necessary.

I do realize there may be some exceptions for stores and offices. The air can get quite stuffy if there's no ventilation even on days where A/C isn't necessary in our homes.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Seems most of them think a day at 80 F with even trace amounts of humidity are "vile",
while most Torontonians would either be indifferent or happy with those conditions.
80 F with high humidity can be uncomfortable and warrant turning on the A/C. But if it isn't oppressive, then it doesn't feel too bad. A dry 80 F is actually fairly comfortable IMO, as long as the sun isn't too intense.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Talking of thermostats, who here has turned their heat on already? My house is about 61°F right now.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Talking of thermostats, who here has turned their heat on already? My house is about 61°F right now.
Not yet, although my house has dropped to around 60 F. A blanket and hot cup of tea does wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather