Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 03:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,759,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well, it's a theory that works for me, personally, but other people have proved it wrong.
Theories aren't related to anecdotes about personal experience. They're grounded in, um, theory.

My family provides a contrary anecdote to yours: all 4 of us were all born in the extremely mild climate of Santa Barbara, and we have chosen (from oldest to youngest):
Santa Barbara
Seattle
Northern Vermont
Austin, TX

Based on a single piece of anecdotal evidence, one could say "it's all about birth order! The third child seeks extreme cold, the 4th seeks extreme heat!"

The primary reason there would be a correlation between climate preference and location of birth lies much deeper in the history of the genetics and cultures leading up to the birth of the child. As for the fact that I have a brother who hates heat and I hate cold, even though we were born into the same climate, that has to be chalked up to other genetic factors, right? I don't know, I'm not saying I've studied this in science journals. It's actually a very interesting idea you've proposed, so the reason I'm picking it apart is because I like it and am trying to get you to put your best arguments and evidence forward so I can learn more about whether it's valid. I'm a curious fellow, always eager to learn new theories and explore new ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,546,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Theories aren't related to anecdotes about personal experience. They're grounded in, um, theory.
This wasn't an idea that I came up with on my own. I've just always been told that. But if a user tells me that the weather at the time of their birth is the exact kind they can't stand, it's evident that this "theory" is wrong.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,712,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
The 70s and 80s really is too hot because usually, we'll have the humidity with those degrees. When it's drier, it is pleasant, but I still prefer between 45 and 65 degrees and preferably with sun.
Well 79 F and 100% humidity is still a good day in my book.

As a kid I'd be most familiar with humidity between 40-65% on a clear day. At age three I could easily distinguish the difference between being sticky and being overheated. I was probably sticky half of all summer afternoons but almost never overheated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewgee
Memories......How I miss them too. I remember in CA setting up a lemonade stand in front of my house and the neighbor kids and I made a little spending cash. We would also make sandwiches for the trashmen and give them cool drinks. They'd see these kids ready for them every week and they'd take their break under our giant and beautiful Walnut Tree.

Ahhh, the simple days of youth back in the 1950s. It's just so different today and so many kids are missing out on the simple things that really matter. Of course, they will never know about them, so I guess they won't really miss them.

Thanks for a bit of nostalgia.
Cool!

My memories where back in the early to mid 80's. Even in the late 80's I remember only spending a few hours once in a while indoors playing video games. More than half the time my friends were still outdoors then.

Right now I'm on my way out to a river for swimming, fishing and maybe hang around with some friendly strangers. Did that yesterday. Good times.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,048,665 times
Death Valley, California! The name says it all! Record highs every year.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,759,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
...if a user tells me that the weather at the time of their birth is the exact kind they can't stand, it's evident that this "theory" is wrong.
But exceptions sometimes help prove the rule.

For example, if you're born in Fairbanks and you're abused as a child, you might form an unconscious association between cold climates and abuse.

And the example I gave above is ultra-simplistic. The reality of being human is that we're influenced by so many complex factors that social scientists can't agree on very much. We're a difficult species to study, quantify, categorize or predict, yet most of us make simplistic amateur theories even though we lack adequate evidence to back up our assumptions.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 146,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Death Valley, California! The name says it all! Record highs every year.
I wonder if the official high will ever reach 130. That 134 reading from 1913 is kind of disputed because a sandstorm may have been occurring at the weather station. Nevertheless, 129 is oven heat!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,300,528 times
San Francisco, if you can even call it "summer weather."

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,984,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
San Francisco, if you can even call it "summer weather."
I agree. Much of the talk here has been about high temperatures and humidity. However, in San Francisco, especially near the coast, temperatures hover between 60-65 degrees for a high during much of the summer. That would be a pretty chily day in Arizona in January. 60 degrees to me is 10 times as uncomfortable in the summer as any 110 degree day is here in AZ.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,698,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Not true for me either, I was born in Texas and well..........you know how I feel about that
Is Texas as hot as they say? I was in San Antonio and boy was it bad...but that was 20 years ago. Is all of Texas as hot and humid as SA?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
between 60-65 degrees for a high during much of the summer. That would be a pretty chily day in Arizona in January.
Actually, that would be pretty close to average. In Miami that would be chilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather