Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Well, I live in Texas now and I have to say it is the worst, most unpleasant summer weather I have ever experienced.
Don't worry, we're half way through so it will cool off in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
I must concur with the people who say the Deep South is the worst. I have lived in Mississippi for many years, and while we do not get the 120 degree temps, we get the upper 90 to 105 range with very high humidities which can make breathing almost impossible most days. I know, I have allergies and stay mostly indoors with the a/c wide open. Nights can be just as bad as we do not cool off very much and with the humidity at night, it feels so muggy, the air is thick and hard to breathe in in a different way than during the daytime.

We have many months of this type weather. Just opening your door and stepping outside feels like entering a suana, your clothes get damp immediately, a fine sweat beads your forehead, slipping down your back, er and front. This is in the shade as well.

Getting out into the sun is even worse. The air is so heavy with humidity one can almost feel as if an unknown force is blocking their airway.

All I can say for all of us who live in hot and humid climates is: Thank Goodness For A/C.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
aiangel_writer: That was an eloquent description of the problem of living in the deep South. You hit all the key points that make it unbearable at times. The winters are wonderful, but summer is heinous. It's not so bad where I am, but whenever I go east of Austin I feel it immediately as it gets more humid, stagnant, thick... heading west, the heat is more intense but not so thick and drippy.

But the most important thing you added to the discussion was ALLERGIES --- many people choose the desert not because they want to be microwaved to death, but because the need to escape from the molds and pollens that make life miserable for millions in other parts of the country. We have high allergen levels 24/7 365 days a year in central Texas, there is ALWAYS plant mischief going on, and mold spore counts are high all year.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Has anyone mentioned Laredo yet? That part of the Rio Grande Valley seems to combine the worst of Texas and the worst of Arizona. A lot of days it will be in the 80s in Austin and over 100 in Laredo. Plus.... what a horrific city, tons of poverty, high crime, ugly, etc. And yet there are people who LIKE it there.
I instantly thought of Laredo when I was reading this thread...it's usually the hottest city in Texas every day in the summer. It really is like the worst dry and treeless areas of Arizona plunked down on the Mexico/Texas border...

Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
The worse summer I ever spent was at Keesler AFB in Biloxi Mississippi. Just day after day of miserable heat and humidity. I couldn't wait to get out of that place....Warner Robbins AFB in Macon, GA never looked so good, and that was the second most miserable place I've ever been. In comparison to those h*ll holes, Loring AFB in northern Maine was a veritable paradise. My summer there was one of the most comfortable summers I've ever experienced. Too bad that Loring AFB has been mothballed.

regards...Franco

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Of all of the places I've been, the most torrid heat and humidity I've ever observed were (in order of worst):

1. New Orleans (talk about a soup bowl OMG!)
2. Myrtle Beach, SC
3. Dothan, AL
4. Hatteras, NC

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
most weather experts list New Orleans and Houston.

I've never been to either.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,961 times
Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Carolinas, Georgia.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,113 times
Either Houston,Texas or Miami Florida area in the summer. Georgia and South Carolina were pretty humid too, but not quite as bad as the previous two.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I spent an entire Summer in Columbus, GA (Fort Benning) for Basic Training in the Army. They had this "wet bulb" thing that I had never heard of before and I soon realized what it was for. That had to be one of the most miserable Summers I had ever experienced. It wasn't all that hot, but the humidity was horrendous, and I'm from Oklahoma, which has some pretty hot summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather