U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM

786 posts, read 1,911,890 times
I would have to say northern Idaho for me, just from personal experience.
Very cold winters with no sun to cheer you up, and the rain is more of a constant mist.
And I can't forget the crazy unexpected spring weather that can go from sunny and 60 to hailing with winds blowing down trees. Crazy weather up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
95 degrees with 65% humidity = 119 heat index.
I see...

maybe that's why I liked a heat index at 115 F; barely cool enough that I didn't sense it as gross-weather.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM

212 posts, read 643,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Which cities, states, regions have the worst summer weather its just plain hot or very high humidity.

I would say Iowa is hard to beat when it comes to heat and humidity combined, its just a humidity festival. The massive amount agriculture and the amount of water it needs provides for some extremely high dewpoints and humidity. Not only that but with a south-east wind and dewpoints can be in the low 80s combined with temperatures in the mid 90s and its just miserable.

Pretty much this misery-belt of heat, humidity from the south winds carrying moisture from the crops and from the south the heat and humidity belt here seems to go from Omaha and covers the entire state of Iowa up to around South Minnesota although I am sure it just keeps extending south from there.

I dont know about the south, but the humidity in Iowa and extreme Nebraska is just incredible. Nothing like one those 95 degree days with a dewpoint in the low 80s that sends the heat index into the 110s where its hazy and not only that weather like that a recipe for tons of insects and flies it seems.

Those are also the days when its 95 degrees tons of humidity and a Canadian cold front comes through and wow their can be some huge thunderstorms in this part of the country. Nothing like looking that looking at the radar and seeing the intensity of the thunderstorms and the rainfall amounts they producing when the conditions are just right.

Another thing about hot and humid weather is when those thunderstorms start unlike western states for example here in the midwest they can last for hours and continue to redevolop over and over again. For example, last summer in Nebraska their was a thunderstorm that just sat over here from late in the evening until sun-rise the next morning. In the west because of the low dewpoints when a thunderstorm starts the thunderstorm fuel is out with-in 15 minutes and its clearing out very quickly.
For the first time, I actually agree with something you said about Nebraska. If you ask me, the weather isn't that great most of the year. It seems like we have one extreme or the other. Winter is unbearable, Spring is nice, June can be good, but July is usually too humid, and fall can be okay.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 716 times
I just registered so I could share my thoughts.

Rio Grande Valley in Texas! We usually have about 30 days of fresh/cold weather. It's always humid. Imagine the summer in Iowa...but for a whole year. It's unbearable. AC is a necessity here. The mosquitoes get bigger every year. It's absolutely terrible, but I do love the RGV.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,798,314 times
Maybe it isn't as bad as I always thought it was, but my vote would have been for St. Louis with it's high humidity and scorching temps during late July and August. I am a native St. Louisan, BTW.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,371,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Maybe it isn't as bad as I always thought it was, but my vote would have been for St. Louis with it's high humidity and scorching temps during late July and August. I am a native St. Louisan, BTW.
Have you ever been to Columbia, SC in July?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,080,604 times
No amount of humidity could compare with Death Valley. An average in July of 87 to 116, with a record of 134. By the time you woke up in the morning it would be over 100!

Old 04-18-2009, 03:32 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,080,604 times
Padre Island has the muggest nights, 26.0C with high humidity... Death Valley's low in July of 30.6C.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 967,296 times
It is not in the USA, it is right here in England. Very cold and nasty non summers are worse than hot humid summers. Summer is MEANT to be hot and humid. We have average high of just 69 degrees in July, and rain every other day, with about 180 hours of sun only and sometimes a lot less. It goes down to 50f at night in July. It is also very windy in June and cold with an average high of 64 degrees.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,797,831 times
I vote for North Texas. Wichita Falls and Dallas have an average high of 98 in the summer, but they have the humidity of places like Florida and Houston. It is not uncommon to have a heat index of over 130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather