Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,255,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Wow, didn’t think anyone would even find this comparison as interesting as I did – lol. I was really trying to stick to the large cities for a city to city comparsion, so I missed many better comparsions.

As far as Perth and San Diego…CC is right. San Diego is often a bit cooler than Perth, though they do get fleeting summer temps in the 90’s once in awhile in San Diego. Los Angeles and Perth might have been be a better fit (inland a little like maybe Glendale…etc).

Note a bad match:

(Perth): BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Perth
(LA): BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Los Angeles

Perth has marginally warmer summers, marginally cooler winters, but around 400 annual less hours of sun (or around 1 hour/day) less than LA.

Both look quite desirable from my point of view though (note that Perth has warmer sea temps )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,077,495 times
MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA (45N 93W)

Average Annual Temp: 45F/7C Warmest Month: 73F/23C Coldest Month: 13F/-10C Precip: 29.4"

SIPING CITY, JILING, CHINA (43N 124E)

Average Annual Temp: 45F/7C Warmest Month: 75F/24C Coldest Month: 9F/-13C Precip: 24.9"

Old 11-11-2010, 01:40 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,573,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Note a bad match:

(Perth): BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Perth
(LA): BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Los Angeles

Perth has marginally warmer summers, marginally cooler winters, but around 400 annual less hours of sun (or around 1 hour/day) less than LA.

Both look quite desirable from my point of view though (note that Perth has warmer sea temps )
I wouldn't trust the sun numbers from that source (or quite a few others for that matter). The rounding is poor, too. LA averages to 2008 give it about 72-73% of possible. Perth Aero (now about 17 years' worth) has the same. City may be a bit lower, but I'd say there isn't much in it at all really.

But the rainfall is a poor match, with annual and winter totals much higher for Perth.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,738,129 times
Perth's annual averages, both temps and precip are spot-on with Dallas TX.
Sunshine totals might be nearly the same too.
If you eliminate the avg temps from Dec-Jan and Jun-Aug, Dallas looks roughly the same imho.

Perth normally sees some 104+ F/40+ C days a year.
Does LA get that hot?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,051,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
On the flip side,
Brisbane's summer temperatures seem bizarrely cool for their latitude,
akin to summers at 38 N - 41 N near the US Atlantic coast.

If Brisbane were in the southern USA at the same distance from the equator,
Summers would average 32-34 C in the day, and 23-25 C at night.
I'd say Brisbane's temps are fairly average for its latitude. Florida is warm for its latitude (probably a consequence of the gulf stream). While Brisbane's summers (21 / 30 C) might be comparable to many locations above the 40th parallel on the Atlantic coast, the winters are much warmer.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I'd say Brisbane's temps are fairly average for its latitude. Florida is warm for its latitude (probably a consequence of the gulf stream). While Brisbane's summers (21 / 30 C) might be comparable to many locations above the 40th parallel on the Atlantic coast, the winters are much warmer.
21/30C?
Every Brisbane station I've seen avgs for show 29 C for the warmest monthly high.
Ipswich QLD is 31 C, so inland from CBD it could be 30 C, but I doubt anywhere near the sea would be that warm.

Actually Brisbane's winter avgs are still slightly lower than the USA's for latitude,
but factoring in FL's unusual warmth, I would say their winters are what I'd expect at 27-28 degrees from the equator.

Brisbane's annual averages also match St. Augustine FL, near the southern limit of "North Florida" climate zone.
At least St. Augustine is south of 30 N... not making Brissie look too bad by latitude-comparison.

Brisbane is at equal latitude with Bradenton FL and Cocoa Beach.
Their averages would be similar to Bundaberg.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-11-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,333,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajn_australia_1988 View Post
Actually one of the things that surprised me when looking at graphs of climatic averages in the USA was how there are very few places there, even in Southern California that are both coastal Mediterranean climates AND get hot summers similar to Perth and Adelaide.

Of course I assume that on the inland fringes of both the Los Angeles and San Diego metro areas the summer is hot, but I'm comparing COASTAL areas specifically.
Although many stations on the southern California coast do report cooler summer mean temps than Perth and Adelaide...several do not. For example coastal Long Beach, CA (just to the south of Los Angeles) is every bit as warm in their max summer month as either Perth or Adelaide.

It’s always interesting that the Pacific is so cool (relative to its latitude) around California, that the more marine exposure the more summer coolness. However, move inland just 5 miles and the picture changes rapidly. Several areas inside the Los Angeles metro are surly BOTH Mediterranean climates AND get hot summers. In California, elevation and proximity to the cool Pacfic makes very different readings in summer. Even as little as 3 miles inland and temps can be 5 F warmer. I think the coolness of the Pacific is often underated. Unlike the warm Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico...the cool Pacific keeps temps down in summer along the edge of the West Coast of the USA.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 11-11-2010 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
On the flip side,
Brisbane's summer temperatures seem bizarrely cool for their latitude,
akin to summers at 38 N - 41 N near the US Atlantic coast.

If Brisbane were in the southern USA at the same distance from the equator,
Summers would average 32-34 C in the day, and 23-25 C at night.
As far as Brisbane’s summers, yea, that is a bit strange. Australia is strange in that many of its eastern subtropical humid climates (Cf) are moderately cool in the warm season. I checked, Brisbane max’s summer month (Jan) has a mean temp of 76.5 F....NYC (Central Park) has a max summer month (July) mean temp of 76.6. NYC is 0.1 F warmer than Brisbane in their respective warmest months – lol:

NYC:NEW YORK, KINGS COUNTY, NEW YORK USA Weather History and Climate Data

Brisbane : BRISBANE REGIONAL OFFICE, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

However to be fair, temp gradients in both eastern coastal Australia and the American East Coast (NYC southward) change very gradually from north to south in the summer months. So cities down the American East Coast like Wilmington, NC, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, GA..etc are only 3 to 4 warmer in their warmest month than Brisbane...and they are about 400 miles further north than Brisbane. So relatively speaking, Brisbane is not really that cool for a coastal subtropical station. A difference of 3 F to me is that all that large I guess.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as Brisbane’s summers, yea, that is a bit strange. Australia is strange in that many of its eastern subtropical humid climates (Cf) are moderately cool in the warm season. I checked, Brisbane max’s summer month (Jan) has a mean temp of 76.5 F....NYC (Central Park) has a max summer month (July) mean temp of 76.6. NYC is 0.1 F warmer than Brisbane in their respective warmest months – lol:

NYC:NEW YORK, KINGS COUNTY, NEW YORK USA Weather History and Climate Data

Brisbane : BRISBANE REGIONAL OFFICE, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

However to be fair, temp gradients in both eastern coastal Australia and the American East Coast (NYC southward) change very gradually from north to south in the summer months. So cities down the American East Coast like Wilmington, NC, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, GA..etc are only 3 to 4 warmer in their warmest month than Brisbane...and they are about 400 miles further north than Brisbane. So relatively speaking, Brisbane is not really that cool for a coastal subtropical station. A difference of 3 F to me is that all that large I guess.
Are we mixing units?
At first I thought you meant Brisbane was 3-4 C cooler than Wilmington.
Toronto is like 3-4 C cooler than Wilmington.

As long as Brisbane's summers feel "warm enough" to me (subjective )
then I would say that it's nice their summer averages are a bit lower than anywhere in FL.

I also noticed that Brisbane's summer avgs match my description of San Juan in Dec/Jan; barely "nice-and-tropical."
So I will enjoy the height of summer heat-wise, but I'm curious if that will be enough, or it will be warm enough, long enough.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Are we mixing units?
At first I thought you meant Brisbane was 3-4 C cooler than Wilmington.
Toronto is like 3-4 C cooler than Wilmington.

I meant in terms of monthly mean temps (in F).

The mean temperature in Brisbane’s warmest month (January) is 76.5 F …NYC’ mean temperatures in the warmest month (July) is 76.6 F. NYC is 0.1 F warmer than Brisbane in their respective warmest months. Yes, from what I saw, Brisbane is about 3 F cooler (in terms on monthly mean temp of warmest month) than Wilmington, NC.

Surly, the July mean temp in Toronto is not 76 F is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather