U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 14,545,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I meant in terms of monthly mean temps (in F).

The mean temperature in Brisbane’s warmest month (January) is 76.5 F …NYC’ mean temperatures in the warmest month (July) is 76.6 F. NYC is 0.1 F warmer than Brisbane in their respective warmest months. Yes, from what I saw, Brisbane is about 3 F cooler (in terms on monthly mean temp of warmest month) than Wilmington, NC.

Surly, the July mean temp in Toronto is not 76 F is it?
I think I was confusing myself.

Toronto's July is 27/16 C, so the mean is 21.5 C/70-71 F.
If Wilmington's July mean is not greater than 25.5 C (77-78F?) I'm right.
I suspect the coast is warmer, but add 4 C and we are at least like central NC inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM

87 posts, read 53,137 times
Anyone who compares Melbourne to NW coastal California or the Pacific Northwest is off their face. Melbourne is nowhere near that cold and gloomy in winter, and certainly gets warmer days in summer.

Melbourne as someone pointed out is a better match to somewhere a bit inland in the Bay Area, somewhere like Oakland or San Jose at least temp wise.

Perth is much warmer than coastal San Diego in summer, similar in winter, but go 10km inland in San Diego into the suburbs and you get a decent match.

I never understood Brisbane's relatively cool summer temps as they are influenced by warm ocean currents with SSTs in the area routinely around 27-28C in mid summer. Might the constant onshore winds so it struggles to get above 30, but still doesn't explain why the nights are only around 20C most of the time, I would've expected an average low of about 23-24C with SSTs like that. On the extreme coast though, average lows are a couple of degrees higher but still a bit on the low side.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,192,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think I was confusing myself.

Toronto's July is 27/16 C, so the mean is 21.5 C/70-71 F.
If Wilmington's July mean is not greater than 25.5 C (77-78F?) I'm right.
I suspect the coast is warmer, but add 4 C and we are at least like central NC inland.
Ok now I got you (I think)…you are comparing your (Toronto) hottest month to Wilmington, NC hottest month. According to WCD – Toronto has a July mean temp of 69.8 F (21 C)….while Wilmington, NC has a July mean of 80.1 F (26.7 C). So there is a difference of roughly 10 F.

Toronto, Canada: TORONTO,ON, Weather History and Climate Data

Wilmington, NC WILMINGTON NEW HANVR, NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA USA Weather History and Climate Data

As far as inland North Carolina: Keep in mind much of North Carolina lies below 36 latitude, which mean it is on the northern edge of the American Humid Subtropics (Cfa). So most cities inland (Fayetteville, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte…etc) would still be quite warm in their hottest month ( July mean temps of around 78-79 F/25 C) and likely still much warmer than Toronto in July. However, far Western North Carolina, in the Appalachian Highlands…is much cooler in the hot season than eastern inland North Carolina. I would guess that places in the high country of western North Carolina might have July mean temps only a few degrees different than Toronto.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 14,545,910 times
^^ Quite in-depth.

No I just meant to say I agree 3-4 F isn't dramatic, but I was showing how 3-4 C is. (brought up in my own confusion )
NC feels nothing like southern Ontario in summer (or any month?) below 2000 ft altitude.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM

813 posts, read 558,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post
Anyone who compares Melbourne to NW coastal California or the Pacific Northwest is off their face. Melbourne is nowhere near that cold and gloomy in winter, and certainly gets warmer days in summer.

Melbourne as someone pointed out is a better match to somewhere a bit inland in the Bay Area, somewhere like Oakland or San Jose at least temp wise.
Wavehunter originally compared Melbourne to Eugene, Oregon which has 13 cm of snow each year on average (can't remember last time it snowed in Melbourne or if it has ever snowed in the city) and also double the rain that Melbourne gets.

Completely different climate as we are well warmer than the northwest as you have pointed out as well.

Inland bay area seems to be close to our climate especially temperature wise. Not sure if they would have the same extreme heat days in the summer as we do though (40-45°c / 104-113 °f).

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 PM

25,122 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Wavehunter originally compared Melbourne to Eugene, Oregon which has 13 cm of snow each year on average (can't remember last time it snowed in Melbourne or if it has ever snowed in the city) and also double the rain that Melbourne gets.

Completely different climate as we are well warmer than the northwest as you have pointed out as well.

Inland bay area seems to be close to our climate especially temperature wise. Not sure if they would have the same extreme heat days in the summer as we do though (40-45°c / 104-113 °f).
The bay area can get heatwaves in the low 100s. Dunno if it can get much hotter than that unless go away from the sea, but then average temperatures is too hot. Melbourne is much cloudier and wetter than the bay area, and with a completely different precipitation pattern. It still is probably a bit sunnier than most of the PNW.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

813 posts, read 558,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The bay area can get heatwaves in the low 100s. Dunno if it can get much hotter than that unless go away from the sea, but then average temperatures is too hot. Melbourne is much cloudier and wetter than the bay area, and with a completely different precipitation pattern. It still is probably a bit sunnier than most of the PNW.
Just went over the past 12 months here in Melbourne and we had 2343 hrs of sun. (Nov 09- Oct 10).

Not sure how this compares to cities in the North West.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,710,069 times
Certainly nowhere near Vancouver averages.. here we usually only get about 1900 hours of sun a year on average.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM

87 posts, read 53,137 times
Oakland , CA is a very close match temp-wise and even the annual rainfall is comparable although the pattern is completely different. Oakland's record high is only 40.6C though whereas Melbourne's is 46.4C.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,670,187 times
I agree with most of the comments here. Melbourne is more comparable to somewhere like San Jose (not having the stats handy) than anywhere in the PNW. It's also a similar distance from the equator (interesting 37.5 degrees north or south is the point where solar radiation equals solar dissipation).

Obviously, you won't find matching stations for all the variables. Melbourne matches places in the Bay Area on temperature (and even rainfall, actually!) but nowhere in the Bay is as cloudy. Melbourne has the temps of Oakland, the rain of hilly parts of SF, with the cloud of Seattle.

Perth is hotter in summer than SD city, and would have temps more similar to a station a bit inland. Both cities have a strong temp gradient from coast inland, but San Diego's is stronger due to the colder ocean and higher mountains. Perth is much wetter (3 1/2 times) than San Diego, a bit cloudy, and a bit cooler than wetter than SD. Interesting, LA is warmer than Perth in winter despite being at the same sort of latitude as Walpole. California has a more decidedly Mediterranean climate for it's latitude than SW WA, which isn't entirely rainless. While the band of low pressure depressions is well to the south in the summer months, the odd cold front clips the south coast (Albany in summer is actually surprisingly cloudy).

Adelaide again would be like somewhere inland from Santa Barbara: winters a bit cooler than Perth, summers a bit cooler but with the tendency to get even hotter (more prone to heatwaves because of its location).

Sydney I would say has the winters of New Orleans (even warmer) with the summers of somewhere like Portland, Maine. Sydney is actually rather cloudy in summer - thank the tropical low sitting off the Pacific and the constant onshore wind - which can result in strings of cloudy days, something I've learned is not characteristic of a location in the Eastern US at a similar latitude like Charleston.

Brisbane in summer is actually close to that of Central Park, NY or perhaps somewhere in Delaware? It's overall climatic pattern is decidedly sub-tropical, though, moreso than anywhere in the US except Southern Florida. New Orleans is probably about 3C warmer than Brisbane at the height of summer.

Hobart would actually compare quite nicely to somewhere like Crescent City, CA, with it's coolish summers and mild winters. Rainfall distribution is more even, though.

Overall, the two countries have very different climates. Australia's is probably a bit 'simpler.' Basically, the northern 2/3rds follow a tropical monsoonal pattern, most of the south a modified Med. climate, and the southeast a warm temperate/humid subtropical climate, and the far southeastern corner a cool temperate 'temperate maritime' climate. Koeppen's classification system isn't all that appropriate, in a sense, because it groups a place like Melbourne with say London, both of which have pretty different climates.

The US has a more continental system - so extremes will be greater, both averages and extremes. It has also a more temperate system - with a predominating westerly flow, typical only of the southern fringe of Australia. Australia ranges from 9 to 43'S, the US including Hawaii and Alaska from the tropical of Cancer to the Arctic circle. The lower 48 states are kind of centered at around 38-39'N, though, which is about the latitude of Washington D.C.

Someone mentioned China, which has an even more extremely form of a continental climate. Also, temp-wise most Aussie cities only match up with cities on the west coast of the US, which are unusually mild by American standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather