U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,443,641 times
Default Stormy England weather

Or perhaps the title should have said "stormy UK weather"... anyway this November has already given us a deluge of rain in the UK (and some freezing rain around my area that caused public transport disruption), now it seems we have been getting some real autumn gales/depressions coming through thick and fast, with the most recent one, through yesterday and this morning, claiming a life and causing damage in parts of the UK.

BBC News - Woman dies after gales batter UK

The lowest pressure recorded in the UK in this storm was was 949mb / 28.02". In my area, Harpur hill, near Buxton recorded a gust of 72mph last night apparently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM

4,317 posts, read 3,145,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Or perhaps the title should have said "stormy UK weather"... anyway this November has already given us a deluge of rain in the UK (and some freezing rain around my area that caused public transport disruption), now it seems we have been getting some real autumn gales/depressions coming through thick and fast, with the most recent one, through yesterday and this morning, claiming a life and causing damage in parts of the UK.

The lowest pressure recorded in the UK in this storm was was 949mb / 28.02". In my area, Harpur hill, near Buxton recorded a gust of 72mph last night apparently.
Last autumn it was like that every day for about a month I seem to remember.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,214,948 times
Quote:

That is quite low for non-tropical low. Here in the USA they had a storm up in the Great Lakes that also had a very low pressure (958 mb ) I think. This might be a sign of a storm winter ahead -

Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Last autumn it was like that every day for about a month I seem to remember.
80mph gales every day for a month was there?

There certainly was a lot of rain last November, but nothing like the winds yesterday. Not even close. Regular gusts of 60-70mph across the northwest, millions of pounds of damage in the NW and even loss of life, hasn't been anything like it since January 2007. It was a major storm.

Your area didn't get this one very badly so no doubt it didn't seem like much to you, this event was more pronounced further north.

These events only seem to make "major news" when they affect the south of England since most there seem to forget anyone lives north of Watford.

Had gusts of the strength of what Yorkshire, Lancashire got occurred in the south east, there probably would have been fatalities not far off the 1987 storm.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 11-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM

4,317 posts, read 3,145,535 times
Quote:
80mph gales every day for a month was there?

There certainly was a lot of rain last November, but nothing like the winds yesterday. Not even close. Regular gusts of 60-70mph across the northwest, millions of pounds of damage in the NW and even loss of life, hasn't been anything like it since January 2007. It was a major storm.

Your area didn't get this one very badly so no doubt it didn't seem like much to you, this event was more pronounced further north.

These events only seem to make "major news" when they affect the south of England since most there seem to forget anyone lives north of Watford.

Had gusts of the strength of what Yorkshire, Lancashire got occurred in the south east, there probably would have been fatalities not far off the 1987 storm.
There weren't 80mph gales every day, but there were 80mph gales this weekend last year as it happens, and in the south as well
Met Office: Stormy weather 13 and 14 November 2009 (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/ht20091117.html - broken link)

When I said the weather was bad for a whole month last year what I really had in mind was this:
Met Office: Heavy rain and gales 18–20 November 2009 (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/ht20091123.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather