U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM

186 posts, read 235,067 times

Advertisements

I hate standard time. I usually get to work around 7 AM, so even with standard time, it would still be dark here anyway. But 5 PM sunset vs. 6 PM sunset makes a huge difference for me, since that's when I usually get off work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM

14,866 posts, read 11,889,799 times
What do you folks do after work that requires such a "need" for sunshine or light? After dinner walks? BBQ? Sports? Or is it just psychological? After working or being out and about all day, I usually just want to relax inside.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,629,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What do you folks do after work that requires such a "need" for sunshine? After dinner walks? BBQ? Sports? Or is it just psychological? After working or being out and about all day, I usually just want to relax inside.
I could list plenty.

1) walking the dog down at any of the local parks in our area (with the wife!)
2) swimming/snorkeling down at one of the many beaches here in Sydney
3) evening (low light) photography
4) running
5) bbq with friends on our balcony (can do this at night easily but prefer being in the light)

I could go on. I find low evening light invigorating and it tends to increase my energy levels by getting out after work .

Most of these activities I could theoretically do in the dark, but there are visibility issues and also (to a lesser extent) safety issues.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I could list plenty.

1) walking the dog down at any of the local parks in our area (with the wife!)
2) swimming/snorkeling down at one of the many beaches here in Sydney
3) evening (low light) photography
4) running
5) bbq with friends on our balcony (can do this at night easily but prefer being in the light)

I could go on. I find low evening light invigorating and it tends to increase my energy levels by getting out after work .

Most of these activities I could theoretically do in the dark, but there are visibility issues and also (to a lesser extent) safety issues.
I see your point, however, in many areas, these activities aren't even plausible during the fall and winter. There's no way I'm going swimming when it's 37 F outside or having a BBQ when it's snowing out.

Perhaps in your location you could do these evening activities year-round, but in many places you can't, so I don't see why it would matter since everyone is inside due to the cold/weather conditions anyway.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I see your point, however, in many areas, these activities aren't even plausible during the fall and winter. There's no way I'm going swimming when it's 37 F outside or having a BBQ when it's snowing out.

Perhaps in your location you could do these evening activities year-round, but in many places you can't, so I don't see why it would matter since everyone is inside due to the cold/weather conditions anyway.
Ok probably my misunderstanding as I thought the thread related to daylight saving's hours during the summer months....

I must admit I am lucky in that in my location I can do all of these activities at any time of the year, swimming included (although a leap of faith is needed initially - SST range between around 17C (63F) to 24C (75F) year round). Sydney has rarely, if ever, had snow and it has very mild winters.

However from my point of view, if it was dark by the time I got home, it would seem almost wasteful not to be able to get out and participate in the above. I can be inside regardless of the amount of outside light, but I am somewhat restricted with my outdoor pursuits if the light is not available.

Can't say I've ever tried a bbq in the snow - could be interesting

Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,136,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
I was up in Cairns last week and the sun was setting around 630pm. The farmers don't want daylight savings in QLD and the city people have to suffer because of it.

Western Australia also don't have daylight savings. Not sure on their reasoning.
Don't even bother trying to understand this "reasoning". It'll give you a headache - from smacking yourself in the head as you ponder how can people think like that! It's just the culture here - paranoid of change.

Have listened to various "reasons" why my fellow Perthlings don't want or need DST in summer. We've had referendums on it, and it's failed every time. By a small margin, and mostly due to country voters but enough city folk believe it "makes it too hot", or "gives us an extra hour of sunshine a day", or they "can't put the kids to bed because it's too light", or "those bloody eastern-staters have it therefore we don't want anything they have!", yadda yadda yadda. And if we want to enjoy the beach during the workweek we're supposed to get there at 5am apparently (shark-feeding time). Just what I have time for in the mornings!

I give up. Sun rises just after 5am, and sets around 7pm. Work days I'm either asleep or getting ready for and getting to work for about 3 of the first hours of daylight. On those hot days, it's 30C by 9am or earlier! Then I get home and by the time I walk the dog and start dinner, it's getting dark. We had a 3-year trial of DST and I loved that extra hour of light at the end of the day, when it was more useful to me. We have the perfect weather and gorgeous beaches for it but this is Perth.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Don't even bother trying to understand this "reasoning". It'll give you a headache - from smacking yourself in the head as you ponder how can people think like that! It's just the culture here - paranoid of change.

Have listened to various "reasons" why my fellow Perthlings don't want or need DST in summer. We've had referendums on it, and it's failed every time. By a small margin, and mostly due to country voters but enough city folk believe it "makes it too hot", or "gives us an extra hour of sunshine a day", or they "can't put the kids to bed because it's too light", or "those bloody eastern-staters have it therefore we don't want anything they have!", yadda yadda yadda. And if we want to enjoy the beach during the workweek we're supposed to get there at 5am apparently (shark-feeding time). Just what I have time for in the mornings!

I give up. Sun rises just after 5am, and sets around 7pm. Work days I'm either asleep or getting ready for and getting to work for about 3 of the first hours of daylight. On those hot days, it's 30C by 9am or earlier! Then I get home and by the time I walk the dog and start dinner, it's getting dark. We had a 3-year trial of DST and I loved that extra hour of light at the end of the day, when it was more useful to me. We have the perfect weather and gorgeous beaches for it but this is Perth.
Sounds like stupidity to me and how frustrating....

I suppose the only solution would be to convince your employer to be able to start an hour earlier and leave an hour earlier and effectively "switch" yourself onto DST. Not ideal as it means doing everything one hour earlier.

But I imagine with Perthlings being resistant to change, convincing your employer to enact this would be met by resistance along the lines that "you may not be as productive" etc

Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM

9,595 posts, read 21,600,138 times
Quote:
convincing your employer to enact this would be met by resistance along the lines that "you may not be as productive" etc
Actually I was thinking the opposite;
wanting to start your day an hour earlier should make you appear eagre.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Actually I was thinking the opposite;
wanting to start your day an hour earlier should make you appear eagre.
I was thinking more along the distorted way some people seem to think around the DST issue e.g. it'll make my curtains fade etc ...

I am pretty lucky where I work as we are flexible (to an extent) as to our working hours. I start at 8am and finish at 5pm and one guy in our team starts at 7.30am and leaves around 4.30pm .

Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Ok probably my misunderstanding as I thought the thread related to daylight saving's hours during the summer months....
No I think you're right. I was just pointing out to those who wish the sun was out longer this time of the year that the weather would keep them from doing certain outdoor activities, regardless of the time of the sun set. Even if it's sunny at 6PM, one can't go golfing if there's a foot of snow on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen
I must admit I am lucky in that in my location I can do all of these activities at any time of the year, swimming included (although a leap of faith is needed initially - SST range between around 17C (63F) to 24C (75F) year round). Sydney has rarely, if ever, had snow and it has very mild winters.
Didn't realize how mild Sydney is considering the temperate climate. Record low is only in the mid-30s (1 C?), correct? Summer temperatures look comfortable, but barely enough for swimming (unless there's a heat wave). Those SSTs are on the chilly side.

I can see how the lack of light would bother you considering outdoor pursuits are possible year-round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen
However from my point of view, if it was dark by the time I got home, it would seem almost wasteful not to be able to get out and participate in the above. I can be inside regardless of the amount of outside light, but I am somewhat restricted with my outdoor pursuits if the light is not available.

Can't say I've ever tried a bbq in the snow - could be interesting
I guess it depends on one's lifestyle.

I think I'll light up the grill this winter. Doubt many people would be interested in an outdoor BBQ in the middle of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather