Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 PM

813 posts, read 951,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Might be.
Latest sunset of the year for Brisbane is 6:48-6:49 pm.

Queensland is huge and people in the tropical north don't want it.
Unfair imho, as the further north you go, the further west the Pacific coast is.
Townsville is at about 20 degrees S and sees later summer sunsets than Brisbane at 27.5 degrees S.
I think Brisbane is far enough east it could justify it's own timezone.
I was up in Cairns last week and the sun was setting around 630pm. The farmers don't want daylight savings in QLD and the city people have to suffer because of it.

Western Australia also don't have daylight savings. Not sure on their reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
I was up in Cairns last week and the sun was setting around 630pm. The farmers don't want daylight savings in QLD and the city people have to suffer because of it.

Western Australia also don't have daylight savings. Not sure on their reasoning.
It's the same argument given for why we change back to winter time at all when most of the population find the dark afternoons depressing - Scottish farmers supposedly don't like the idea, who if we didn't change would not see it get light until 10am in midwinter instead of 9am as it is now.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM

813 posts, read 951,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's the same argument given for why we change back to winter time at all when most of the population find the dark afternoons depressing - Scottish farmers supposedly don't like the idea, who if we didn't change would not see it get light until 10am in midwinter instead of 9am as it is now.
I would not want the sun to rise at 10am in the winter. I wouldn't want my kids going to school in the pitch black at 830 in the morning.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
The argument used here is that schoolchildren would go to school in the dark if we didn't change our clocks and that would be dangerous. Though seems like a lot of people here are happy to see the clocks change back. Maybe more people have early work hours or longer commutes than the UK?

9am sunrise sounds miserable. I think I would prefer standard time in that situation. But what must the sunset time be? 3 pm?! I remember being in London in December and waking at 8am and was shocked to see the sun wasn't up yet.

Latest sunrise here is 7:18 am. I live in New England, which is east in the time zone, so solar noon is usually about 10 minutes before noon. I think our time zone should move at least 30 minutes later.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The argument used here is that schoolchildren would go to school in the dark if we didn't change our clocks and that would be dangerous. Though seems like a lot of people here are happy to see the clocks change back. Maybe more people have early work hours or longer commutes than the UK?

9am sunrise sounds miserable. I think I would prefer standard time in that situation. But what must the sunset time be? 3 pm?! I remember being in London in December and waking at 8am and was shocked to see the sun wasn't up yet.

Latest sunrise here is 7:18 am. I live in New England, which is east in the time zone, so solar noon is usually about 10 minutes before noon. I think our time zone should move at least 30 minutes later.
From what I know reading this site Americans do have earlier work hours. Standard work hours are 9-5 and very few are at work before about 8. and almost no school starts before 8.30. In London people have 45-60 minute commutes on average, but less elsewhere. Personally I prefer to live as near as possible to work, but for a family man this wouldn't be anywhere near as easy.

For Inverness, the northernmost city in Scotland at 57N the latest sunrise is at 8:59 and the earliest sunset is 3:32, and for the northernmost extreme of the Shetland Isles off the north coast at 60N it is 9:18 and 2:44, so whatever you do with the clocks it's pretty dark, and even when the sun is up it's never that far above the horizon.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
For Inverness, the northernmost city in Scotland at 57N the latest sunrise is at 8:59 and the earliest sunset is 3:32, and for the northernmost extreme of the Shetland Isles off the north coast at 60N it is 9:18 and 2:44, so whatever you do with the clocks it's pretty dark, and even when the sun is up it's never that far above the horizon.
Yea, I remember London in the winter the sun just seemed to skim the horizon and it felt like it never got very bright, just permanently like late afternoon / early morning light. Of course Scotland must have been even worse.

Even more novel to me was seeing the grass and many plants green instead of frozen to death. It felt cheery to me. Your climate definitely has some pluses along with many minuses.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
From what I know reading this site Americans do have earlier work hours. Standard work hours are 9-5 and very few are at work before about 8. and almost no school starts before 8.30. In London people have 45-60 minute commutes on average, but less elsewhere. Personally I prefer to live as near as possible to work, but for a family man this wouldn't be anywhere near as easy.
Are you talking about the UK or the US? Many high schools start around 7:30AM - which means students and teachers have to leave when it's still dark. When I was in high school, I had to leave my house at 6:40. Way too early.

The roads start to fill up with commuters around 6AM (at least where I live).

Quote:
Wow, that's an extremely short day. I'm sure the summers make up for it though.

I know most people want sunlight after work and whatnot, but I prefer to have it early in the morning when I'm getting ready, having breakfast, etc.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Why do farmers even care what the time is?

If they are planning to be up with the sunrise then does it really even matter?
Don't they make their own schedules on their farms?
Imho, with or without DST a farmer's schedule would still be awkward.

Also seems silly that they look at a clock, and smile or frown depending on what the clock says.
(unless they have to go to the bank or something)
I'm sure the animals or crops don't care.

Why I hate sunrises after 7:30 am and sunsets before 5 am is ALL because of our man-made schedule's and man-made rhythms.
I hate needing to get ready for work in complete darkness, and I resent it being dark less than an hour when I leave from work.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Interesting thread.

Where I live, Atlanta, is almost at the western end of the Eastern Time Zone, so our solar noon is shifted pretty far forward, especially in DST. With the changeover coming so late this year, we got to experience an 8:00 am sunrise (exactly, just did reach it on the last day...lol) - I have to agree, that's pretty disgusting. I'm an early riser by nature, so I'm up in the dark an hour or two before it even thinks about getting light outside.

Standard time isn't so bad here, sunrise is a bit after 7 am these days, with a sunset of about 5:34 currently (with less than 10 minutes to go for earliest sunset time). So, I guess that isn't too bad compared to winter sunsets up in the New England area, which is so much further east than me. In summer, with DST, our latest sunset is 8:52, nice and late, especially down here at 34 degrees latitude.

Wanna guess where I've experienced my latest sunrise ever? Believe it or not, it was in southern Argentina in the southern hemisphere winter, with a sunrise of 9:00 am - now, that's a late sunrise! It was kinda freaky to see it being totally pitch-black at 8:30 am - that puts Atlanta's tardy sunrises to shame...lol.

Another place that gets late sunrises is the UP of Michigan, since the Eastern Time Zone cuts extremely far west there for some reason. I don't think it quite reaches 9 am even with extended DST, but it's pretty darned late, past 8:30 I'm pretty sure. Those uber-late sunsets in summer sure must be nice up there, though.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Atlanta seems really well balanced in my opinion!
Wow, 9 am sunrise must be something...The latest I've experienced is 8.44am in early January in Paris when I used to live there. The earliest must be around 5 in Denmark in July, but I was never up before 9 as I was travelling, so I couldn't really experience it, although I remember being woken up by the light very early in a sunny morning.
As for sunsets, earliest in London in late December (3.45 or 3.50 I guess!) and latest, Nantes (Western France) in early July (10.08pm, quite surreal indeed!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather