Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,512,967 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find a similar topic despite searching.

I'm curious, how are you guys affected by daylight hours variation, DST and sunrise and sunset times?

Personally, I'm strongly affected by daylight changes especially when it comes to sunset. For some reasons (maybe because I often wake up late), the later the sunset time is, the happier I am.
I find any sunset time before 5PM to be disgusting, 5 to 6 really bad, 6 to 7 correct, 7 to 8 really nice and after 8PM truly excellent. I spent most of my life in southern France where summer days are always sunny and bright until around 9.30PM, and I always missed those evenings in other places I lived such as Hong Kong where even midsummer days get dark at 7.
Obviously, I am strongly in favor of DST and loathe the winter time change.
For all those reasons, I couldn't see myself living in a city with perpetually dark evenings (Tokyo is especially bad, 4.30PM sunset in December and 7PM in June). I'm moving to Singapore in January for several months so I'm curious how I will experience the constant 7.15PM sunsets. I guess this "year-round" DST, along with the strong equatorial light, lush vegetation and tropical warmth will seem especially excellent after this dreadful winter in northern France

So, what do you guys think of all this - daylight changes, DST, sunrise/sunet times? Am I the only one obsessed with it?
Also, do you know any places with extreme time zone eccentricities? The most extreme I could find are western China (with solar noon year-round at 15PM) and extreme northeast India (solar noon at 10.30AM, this is gross)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 27,946 times
I personally don't care much for sunshine, so I love this time of year when we have less daylight.

I like DST because that means I don't have the dang sun in my eyes when I drive home from work @ 5 pm.

Also, before the time changes, I'm getting up in the dark, which I find wrong. Why should I have to get up before the sun?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,149,866 times
I love when the clocks go back. It isn't even 5:00 and the sun is already down. The darker the earlier, the better. It just doesn't feel right for it to be sunny when I'm eating dinner.

Another reason to love fall and winter.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Yea, I felt a bit down in my mood when the sun started going down earlier, after about mid-Sepetember or so. Getting up in the dark is kinda annoying, but I wasn't with daylight savings time before. It's a waste of daylight to have the sun rise at 6:30 or so when the sun is setting before 5 (as it is here). It'd be nice to see the sun rise, too, and it's harder now. Though, I was getting up at times around 6 am and then go to bed a little after 10 pm during the summer. Almost up the entire time during day light hours (1-1.5 hours of night)! Felt amazing.

I'm looking forward to later days (starts in Feb) and especially when the clocks change back in mid-March.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,590,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I love when the clocks go back. It isn't even 5:00 and the sun is already down. The darker the earlier, the better. It just doesn't feel right for it to be sunny when I'm eating dinner.

Another reason to love fall and winter.
Rather you than me. Our winters are darker than yours, so with overcast skies it can be completely dark at 4pm for week after week in addition to our gloomy weather, so when you've come out of school or work or whatever the day as far as outdoor possibilities is already over and there's not much else to in the evenings but stay indoors. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is knowing that we get longer summer evenings as a payback when it doesn't get dark until 10pm. Once a year around midsummer's day I like to get up at about 4am on a clear morning to race around the empty, but light streets on my motorbike - makes me feel like I've got the world to myself

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,149,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Rather you than me. Our winters are darker than yours, so with overcast skies it can be completely dark at 4pm for week after week in addition to our gloomy weather, so when you've come out of school or work or whatever the day as far as outdoor possibilities is already over and there's not much else to in the evenings but stay indoors. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is knowing that we get longer summer evenings as a payback when it doesn't get dark until 10pm. Once a year around midsummer's day I like to get up at about 4am on a clear morning to race around the empty, but light streets on my motorbike - makes me feel like I've got the world to myself
The sun sets around 4:30PM during the shortest days here, although if it is cloudy it can seem pretty dark around 4:00. I love dark, gloomy days.

Although summer is my least favorite season, admittedly those early mornings when it's already light out around 5 are pretty nice. Too bad my body clock isn't set to be awake that early most days of the year.

You should definitely ride around next summer. Do you have a bike? If I had a motorcycle, it would have to be small since I can't handle those large, heavy bikes.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,514,131 times
I hate going back to standard time. The early darkness gets to me. We used to live in Washington state, and in June it was wonderful because it stayed light til almost 10 at night. I am excited when Dec. 21st gets here because the days start to get longer again.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,702,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Once a year around midsummer's day I like to get up at about 4am on a clear morning to race around the empty, but light streets on my motorbike - makes me feel like I've got the world to myself
I've never thought of that. Sounds like fun!

Toronto we don't have as early sunrises,
but maybe an hour in summer with bright light and everyone's still sleeping.
It's generally lightish (all summer ) sometime before 6 am, and before 6:30 am there's almost zero human activity.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,438,879 times
I'd would be happy if everyone shifted their clocks forward by an hour. So people living in EST would go by CST, CST by MST and so forth.

I rarely get up before 7 am (much less out of the house) so I really don't care about sunrise being early. Daylight at 6pm is just SOOO much more useful than at 6am.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,702,987 times
Default I'm not obsessed, but...

Your preferences closely mirror mine.

I love sunsets after 8 pm
I like sunsets after 7 pm
I'm okay with sunsets after 6 pm
I'm disappointed by sunsets after 5 pm
I'm grumpy about sunsets before 5 pm

Toronto's earliest sunset I think is 4:41 pm, so we only get about 1-1.5 months where sunset is before 5 pm.

I noticed you didn't comment about sunrise times.
Because of DST, I have have a narrower range of experiences.

I love sunrises between 6:00-6:45 am
I like sunrises between 5:45-6:00 and 6:45-7:00 am
I'm okay with sunrises between 5:30-5:45 and 7:00-7:15 am
I find sunrises between 5:00-5:30 and 7:15-7:30 am awkward
I find sunrises before 5:00 am annoying
I find sunrises after 7:30 am disgusting

Our latest sunrise is about 7:51 am (?) so we see less than 2 months of "disgusting" sunrise times.

Overcast weather (so common in Toronto's cooler months)
makes a sunrise or sunset appear up to 45 minutes later than the official time.
A typical December day with a sunrise of 7:45 am and sunset of 4:53 pm.
With dark overcast it could feel like this:

Sunrise 8:30 am
Sunset 4:08 PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather