Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow nights in the 100's?

I think NYC's highest low temperature was 92°F (33.3°C), I remember reading about it somewhere. We get a couple of nights in the 84-86 range like every year (even in 2009 which was unusually cool).
Hmm I only found 77 for NYC (LaGuardia Airport, Central Park is usually lower). 84 this year. Gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I'm impressed how you always know your facts
Thanks!

Quote:
For a coastal location next to such a warm sea I'm surprised the temps fall so much at night compared to Muscat.
I only checked a year's data (this years') for Basra. I found the 100 degrees for Muscat from a site mentioning hot places. I assume most people are too poor to have A/C in Basra, maybe they would in Muscat though? The electricity usages (and bills) must have been enormous.

Quote:
I actually know somebody who served in Basra with the Army who's said the heat was a lot tougher to deal with than anything the Iraqis had to throw at them.
The clohting and equipment must make it even worse

Quote:
Considering everybody moaned here the one night last summer it never got below 70 (we don't have A/C in our homes) it puts it into perspective a bit how some people can manage to sleep in 100.
On warm nights I sleep with no sheets or shirt with a fan blowing on me. I described to someone I know in London that it was too hot to sleep with sheets, and asked if that ever happens, and he said in the summer it's warm enough to have the window open and not need sheets often. He didn't seem to get the concept of too hot for sheets.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,096 times
London's highest overnight low was only 24C (75F).

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
100°F Needles,
93°F Imperial, CA
90°F Fresno, CA

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
The highest overnight low recored in the UK is 22C, the highest I remember when living here was 20C near London when I lived down there between 1991-2003.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
London's highest overnight low was only 24C (75F).
Was that in the 2003 heatwave when it got to 100F? I've noticed London just doesn't cool down on summer nights anywhere near as much as the rest of the country.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thanks!

I assume most people are too poor to have A/C in Basra, maybe they would in Muscat though? The electricity usages (and bills) must have been enormous.
It's not just that they're too poor, the electricity supply only worked a few hours a day at random times so A/C would have been useless anyway.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 AM

87 posts, read 120,118 times
The Pilbara and Gascoyne in Australia's northwest is the place to be if you want hot nights. Some towns there record overnight lows of 33-35C there several times every summer, and midnight temps of 38C or more are not unusual.

SE Aust is the next best place in the country for hot nights, particularly from Adelaide along the Murray River, into western NSW, NE South Aus, and NW Vic. For capital cities, the hottest nights belong to Adelaide and Melbourne, with records at 33C and 30.6C respectively. Sydney and Brisbane by comparison is only at 25.8C and 28.0C. Even Perth falls short with a record high low of 29.3C.

Not sure what the highest in the country is, but the best I can find is 35.6C in Mildura, Victoria and 35.1C in Marble Bar, Western Aust.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 PM

270 posts, read 481,254 times
I think I've found the place with the highest averages lows in the world! Don't be surprised, because it's located in the Algerian part of the Sahara Desert. This is a town called Arak lying in a dark rocky plateau at an elevation above 500 m, which keeps up the accumulated daytime heat during the night and thus allowing extraordinarily hot summer nights.

Here are some amazing figures. The respective averages lows for Arak in June, July, August and September are 31,73° ; 34,05° ; 33,14° ; 30,37°.
I don't know any another location in the world that can actually rival that...

Here are the source links :

Climatologie globale en juin à ARAK (MINIET) - Infoclimat (Global climatology in June at Arak)
Climatologie globale en juillet à ARAK (MINIET) - Infoclimat (Global climatology in July at Arak)
Climatologie globale en août à ARAK (MINIET) - Infoclimat (Global climatology in August at Arak)
Climatologie globale en septembre à ARAK (MINIET) - Infoclimat (Global climatology in September at Arak)

The annual average low is still 23,31° for the spot, which means that the Sahara Desert isn't freezingly cold at night unlike what many people are thinking...
This value is probably the highest found on the planet for an arid climate.

The hottest nights occur in rocky areas (regs) rather than in light-colored sandy regions (ergs). That's why they aren't found over the Middle East (even in the urbanized cities like Kuwait City, Riyadh, Doha or Dubai) where there are only vast expanses of sand, nor in Death Valley which is primilarily composed of ergs.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 09-13-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 04:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

I think NYC's highest low temperature was 92°F (33.3°C), I remember reading about it somewhere. We get a couple of nights in the 84-86 range like every year (even in 2009 which was unusually cool).

The highest official low ever for the NYC metro was 30C (86F), recorded at LaGuardia in July of 2013. However, the quoted post is three years older than that. At the time, I believe the highest was 85F, also at LGA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
I think I've found the place with the highest averages lows in the world! Don't be surprised, because it's located in the Algerian part of the Sahara Desert. This is a town called Arak lying in a dark rocky plateau at an elevation above 500 m, which keeps up the accumulated daytime heat during the night and thus allowing extraordinarily hot summer nights.

Here are some amazing figures. The respective averages lows for Arak in June, July, August and September are 31,73° ; 34,05° ; 33,14° ; 30,37°.
I don't know any another location in the world that can actually rival that...
I question the legitimacy of those stats unless they are directly from the national weather department of Algeria (whatever it is called), even if the town is situated on a "reg." Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the data on "Infoclimat.fr" doesn't looks like official data to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
And any idea what's the hottest night ever recorded anywhere? I'm curious about whether daily minimums above 40°C (104°F) have already been recorded.
The highest low ever recorded was 42C (107F) at Death Valley on July 12th, 2012, following a daytime high of 53C (128F). The same day also holds the world record for the highest "mean" of 46C (117F). Of course, this question was asked two years before that... Courtesy G8RCAT for the pic from NOWDATA:

What is the temperature in your fictional dream climate?

Last edited by Shalop; 09-13-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather