Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

It looks like there will be a hard freeze across the citrus and produce districts in central and southern California tonight…and Thursday and Friday night as well.

This is of considerable importance - since the commercial citrus/produce districts in California provide a part of the winter citrus to the USA markets. Although most of the truly tropical crops like mangos, limes, grapefruits...etc are only grown in deep Florida, many winter vegetables and citrus are grown in California and supply the USA and Canada with fresh produce from December through March. Oranges can take about four hours of temps around 28 F…colder temps or temps under 28 F for more than four hours is when real damage starts from what I understand. Let’s hope this is not too severe, otherwise we will see prices increase this winter for citrus/produce in much of North America:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
228 PM PST WED NOV 24 2010

...WIDESPREAD FREEZING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED THURSDAY AND FRIDAY
MORNINGS...

...GUSTY SANTA ANA WINDS EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT AND THURSDAY...

.A VERY COLD AND DRY AIR MASS WILL REMAIN IN PLACE ACROSS THE
AREA THROUGH FRIDAY. THIS WILL PRODUCE BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES ACROSS INLAND AREAS BOTH TONIGHT AND THURSDAY NIGHT. WITH THE COLD TEMPERATURES...FROST AND HARD FREEZES ARE EXPECTED.

AS FOR THE WINDS...SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE WILL STRENGTHEN OVER THE
GREAT BASIN TONIGHT. THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR MODERATE NORTHEAST WINDS THROUGH AND BELOW PASSES AND CANYONS. MOUNTAIN AREAS WILL SEE GUSTS TO 55 MPH...WHILE VALLEY AND COASTAL AREAS WILL RECEIVE GUSTS BETWEEN 35 AND 50 MPH. THE NORTHEAST WINDS WILL DECREASE IN STRENGTH THURSDAY AFTERNOON...BUT MAY INCREASE TO ADVISORY LEVELS
AGAIN THURSDAY NIGHT.

...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST
THURSDAY...
...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOS ANGELES/OXNARD HAS ISSUED A
FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST FRIDAY.
A FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST
THURSDAY.

* TEMPERATURE: SEVERAL HOURS OF TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW 28
DEGREES WILL OCCUR EARLY THURSDAY MORNING...AND AGAIN EARLY
FRIDAY MORNING. OVERNIGHT LOW TEMPERATURES WILL DROP TO BETWEEN 18 AND 26 DEGREES IN MANY AREAS. THE LOWEST TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AND WIND SHELTERED VALLEYS.

* IMPACTS: PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN TO PROTECT SENSITIVE
OUTDOOR PLANTS AND CROPS. VULNERABLE ANIMALS AND PETS SHOULD
BE KEPT INDOORS IN A BARN OR HOUSE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES REACH AND FALL
BELOW 28 DEGREES FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY
LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE
VEGETATION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I wonder if that is the same arctic air mass that has plunged the PNW into the deep freeze this past week... it's been frigid around here... brr....
Hopefully we won't be paying too much more for oranges this winter.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if that is the same arctic air mass that has plunged the PNW into the deep freeze this past week... it's been frigid around here... brr....
Hopefully we won't be paying too much more for oranges this winter.
It looks like it is the same cold dome of high pressure that moved down from NW Canada early this week. I saw that Seattle had temps in the 20's F, so it not surprising that the cold is drilling southward.

As far as the citrus, yes, I’m worried too; I love the winter oranges/citrus. In the cold season when I’m in south Florida I take several baskets back with me. With the bad world economy, the last thing that consumers in the USA/Canada need is higher prices for citrus this winter. I come from a farming family (several members still farm in Delaware)…and it is a tough enough life without having to have nature work against you as well. Lets hope farmers get lucky in the next few days.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I'm in the heart of the FL citrus belt and there is no eminent danger to our agriculture for the next ten days at least. I hope the weather forecast for CA is wrong and no damage is done. I really hate markets turning to more imports for what we eat.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm in the heart of the FL citrus belt and there is no eminent danger to our agriculture for the next ten days at least. I hope the weather forecast for CA is wrong and no damage is done. I really hate markets turning to more imports for what we eat.
Yes, I think you guys will be fine. The long range looks like it will finally get colder in the southeast in the coming days (by this weekend)…but lows should be in the 50’s along the Gulf/southeast coast/ and Florida. The cold in the eastern USA looks to quickly moderate by early next week, so the cool shot will be short lived in the southland.

I agree 1000% about the imports: Let’s keep our growers and farmers working, instead of importing citrus from Brazil (lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather