U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM

1,817 posts, read 3,812,964 times

Advertisements

Does anyone find it funny how a person can want the house to be too cold in the summer and then in winter complain it's not warm enough even when the thermometer shows the indoor temp is actually higher than the house is kept in the summer?

This drives me crazy. In the summer my spouse wants it chily enough I have had to go outside to get warm or wear a sweater in the house but he runs around in the winter complaining it's cold when it is more comfortable to me because it is warmer in here than in the summer.

I'd rather be on the warm side and I love summer with it's heat and humidity and oh man is it getting close to spring yet?! It's sitting at about 18 outside right now, brrr.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,653,335 times
^^ Sounds like your spouse is what I call sweat-phobic.

I usually want slightly higher temps indoors in summer, when I'm acclimated to summer weather.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM

7,883 posts, read 9,709,065 times
I know I hate it when it's too cold inside but too hot outside.

Our indoor temps range from the 60's/70's in the Winter to the 70's/80's (sometimes 90's) in the Summer. This naturally occurs so a lot of the time there's no need for Heat or A/C.

Going from 100 degrees outside to 65 inside is only pleasant for a minute or so, after that I'm freezing. I actually got pneumonia from that while riding the bus, half of NYC's buses are freezers on wheels in the Summer. I had to start bringing jackets to stay warm on the bus then take it off once I get off the bus and it's 90 degrees again.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 PM

28,675 posts, read 14,929,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know I hate it when it's too cold inside but too hot outside.

Our indoor temps range from the 60's/70's in the Winter to the 70's/80's (sometimes 90's) in the Summer. This naturally occurs so a lot of the time there's no need for Heat or A/C.

Going from 100 degrees outside to 65 inside is only pleasant for a minute or so, after that I'm freezing. I actually got pneumonia from that while riding the bus, half of NYC's buses are freezers on wheels in the Summer. I had to start bringing jackets to stay warm on the bus then take it off once I get off the bus and it's 90 degrees again.
Your house gets to 90 in the summer? I thought mine was a bit extreme. I've never seen the inside of my house reach 90 yet, though it came close a few times.

I open the windows when I get on a bus at times during the summer. I assume NYC ones won't let you do that?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,061,850 times
An indoor temperature of 22-23C feels "about right" to me any time of year. When the heating's off in summer though, because we have such a cold house, it tends to stay colder than that a lot especially with our cold summers. In other places I lived before it could get up to 28C in summer but I much prefer that to sitting in a chilly 17-18C room.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

7,883 posts, read 9,709,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your house gets to 90 in the summer? I thought mine was a bit extreme. I've never seen the inside of my house reach 90 yet, though it came close a few times.
Yes and the odd thing was that it was in early June and at night, I think we had a heat wave and had no functioning A/C at the time. It maxed out at 93F but it usually stayed in the 87-91 range. I actually had a tough time sleeping, I'd fall asleep once I was completely exhausted to turn around and wake up 4 hours later.

Quote:
I open the windows when I get on a bus at times during the summer. I assume NYC ones won't let you do that?
I believe NYC has about 6,000 buses, some models are advanced with climate control (but it does a terrible job) and the windows that actually open can't be reached by passengers. Some models have their windows bolted shut for some reason. You can open the windows on about 2/3rds of the buses, it provides a nice warm breeze inside the ice cold bus.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM

7,996 posts, read 6,506,086 times
My upstairs bedrooms can get close to 90 very easily in summer. I try not to let that happen!

I have central air, this summer I used it frequently (unusual for here) but 78 is low enough if it is hot out and overnight temps don't go below 70.

I keep the house at just below 70 in winter because my house isn't insulated when it is cold and windy trying 70 would be futile. I sit in the livingroom, use my lap top, watch TV and have my gas fireplace going!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 PM

2,615 posts, read 1,844,635 times
I like it at least 65F at night in summer and can have it as warm as 75F during the day. In winter I have the thermostat set at 65F, but it usually hangs around the 65-70F mark all winter long. Of course I love it up here in Denver. My light bill is about $45 a month compared to South Texas where it was $200 in summer and $100 in winter, if you're lucky.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM

28,675 posts, read 14,929,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
I like it at least 65F at night in summer and can have it as warm as 75F during the day. In winter I have the thermostat set at 65F, but it usually hangs around the 65-70F mark all winter long. Of course I love it up here in Denver. My light bill is about $45 a month compared to South Texas where it was $200 in summer and $100 in winter, if you're lucky.
Yea, but what is your heating bill? Mine goes up to $400 in the winter; my electric bill is about $40

Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,653,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
I can see why you prefer Colorado.
My preferences are actually similar to yours, only bump up everything 10 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather