U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,238,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
Do you remember when was the last time Toronto (or Southern Ontario) got a daily high below zero? I don't think it has happened in a while. Actually, has Toronto (or Southern Ontario) seen a daily high below zero at all in this decade?
I think we've had a high of -18 C or colder not last year,
but at least once within the three previous winters.

2006-2007 had a quite a few severe days, (I saw -31 C on my car thermometer one morning near Kitchener! )
while 2007-2008 was mildish with record setting snow
and 2008-2009 was colder than avg with above avg snow.

When I was in highschool I saw 4-6 days in one winter that cold,
and perhaps 8-12 days that cold throughout my time in highschool.
*Most of those days were likely school days, not weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 AM

5,735 posts, read 4,195,499 times
It's been a crazy winter so far and winter officially hasn't even officially arrived

It's warmer in parts of the arctic than it is in the upper Southern United States. Currently it's in the mid 40s in Nuuk, Greenland which is warmer than the high for Atlanta, GA
China is also having a cold snap.. Hong Kong is only supposed to have a high of 48F on Thursday and it's at the same latitude as Cuba.
Crazy stuff!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 AM

29,910 posts, read 5,393,287 times
28F when I woke up this morning, currently 31F.....there is heavy frost on the grass but it's starting to melt. Crazy weather we are having!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,557,457 times
I know this is not what winter fans want to hear…but according to both NOAA and AccuWeather long range forecasters…December is supposed to be colder than both Jan and Feb in much of the USA and southern Canada. So in terms of snow (upper Midwest), and cold (West Coast/East Coast)… we might have seen the worst of this winter.

According to several NOAA and AccuWeather predictions back in early fall…the active storm track in the Pacific would bring stormy/cold conditions to the western USA in November …and the those lows would pull cold air down into the central and eastern USA through most of December resulting in cold and stormy weather in the central/eastern USA. This seems to have been a pretty accurate forecast so far. Most NWS stations are running well below normal in much of the USA. Some records for cold in California, Florida, Washington State, Oregon…etc fell in November and December. It seems that the coastal margins of the USA mainland had unusual cold snaps: In the West in November (Seattle had a low of 14 F…Long Beach/Los Angeles had a low of 38 F…and Santa Barbara fell to freezing/32 F three times!…while in December NYC fell to 19 F just a day ago (my low fell to 15 F)…Orlando had a record low of 31 F (the lowest for the date in almost 50 years)… and Miami fell to 36 F last night.

So now as we head into late December, their forecast for a milder pattern in the USA might also be on target as well. It will be interesting to see if most NWS stations end up reporting a warmer mean temp in Jan/and or Feb, than December.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 PM

2,613 posts, read 1,775,964 times
We just got a dusting of snow here in Denver, CO. It really hasn't been bitterly cold yet, at least to my standards. Or I should say as much. This cold snap we're in is supposed to be done with on Sunday with highs back in the 50s. Only snow accumulation came the week of or before Thanksgiving. I know the snowiest months are March and April here, but it's been below par even for November and December.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,800,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I know this is not what winter fans want to hear…but according to both NOAA and AccuWeather long range forecasters…December is supposed to be colder than both Jan and Feb in much of the USA and southern Canada. So in terms of snow (upper Midwest), and cold (West Coast/East Coast)… we might have seen the worst of this winter.

According to several NOAA and AccuWeather predictions back in early fall…the active storm track in the Pacific would bring stormy/cold conditions to the western USA in November …and the those lows would pull cold air down into the central and eastern USA through most of December resulting in cold and stormy weather in the central/eastern USA. This seems to have been a pretty accurate forecast so far. Most NWS stations are running well below normal in much of the USA. Some records for cold in California, Florida, Washington State, Oregon…etc fell in November and December. It seems that the coastal margins of the USA mainland had unusual cold snaps: In the West in November (Seattle had a low of 14 F…Long Beach/Los Angeles had a low of 38 F…and Santa Barbara fell to freezing/32 F three times!…while in December NYC fell to 19 F just a day ago (my low fell to 15 F)…Orlando had a record low of 31 F (the lowest for the date in almost 50 years)… and Miami fell to 36 F last night.

So now as we head into late December, their forecast for a milder pattern in the USA might also be on target as well. It will be interesting to see if most NWS stations end up reporting a warmer mean temp in Jan/and or Feb, than December.

I've heard rumours they may be re-thinking that mild Jan and Feb based on NAO. Remember last winter in FL. The NAO has been really negative, which means cold weather for eastern USA.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM

654 posts, read 699,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

I really hope so.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 PM

27,276 posts, read 13,576,500 times
Whoa. I just saw that the current temperature in London is 16°F. Must be close to the record.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 AM

2,606 posts, read 1,827,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Whoa. I just saw that the current temperature in London is 16°F. Must be close to the record.
Hardly. The record is -6 F.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 AM

4,506 posts, read 3,504,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Hardly. The record is -6 F.
That record was set in 1795 or something though. Don't know about the city centre, and here it only got to -6C (because it's on higher ground), but Chesham, out of the city itself but close enough to be on the underground system got to -19.6C. I haven't seen all the data but there were some really big contrasts within the metropolitan area. Below -10C in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather