Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

What are some places with very high summertime/warm season minimums?

Some I've found, for each continent:

Australia:

Wyndham, WA, Australia 27.0C (80.6F)
Broome, WA, Australia 26.3C (79.3F)
Borroloola, NT, Australia 26.1C (79.0F)

North America:

Death Valley, CA, USA 30.7C (87.3F)
Yuma, AZ, USA 27.0C (80.6F)
Galveston, TX, USA 26.2C (79.3F)

Anyone find any stations outside the US which could match these?

Asia:

Dubai, UAE 29.9C (85.8F)
Aden, Yemen 29.5C (85.1F)
Kuwait City, Kuwait 29.5C (85.1F)
Madras, India 27.6C (81.7F)
Ahvaz, Iran 27.3 (81.3F)
Basrah, Iraq 27.0C (80.6F)
Karachi, Pakistan 27.0C (80.6F)
Hong Kong, China 26.7C (80.1F)

Africa:

Djibouti, Djibouti 31.0C (87.1F)!
Dallol, Ethiopia?
Parts of the Sahara
Mogadishu 26.0C (79.3F)

There are doubtless others I haven't mentioned, I haven't paid a great deal to summer minima until fairly recently.

I think the world record AVERAGE is probably either Death Valley or somewhere right on the Gulf or the Red Sea. I'm not sure how believable the Dubai figure is, but it's pretty impressive (30C average nights). Despite the rainlessness humidity there can be really high, with very high SSTs (highest in the world).

The figure for Galveston seems pretty high since Houston is like 23C in July. Even Corpus Christi or South Padre Island isn't even 24-25C (which surprised me). The maxima at Galveston in July is a mere 30.7C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM

102 posts, read 146,469 times
Places in the middle east along the Gulf coast would likely have the highest summer low averages in the world, except in exceptional circumstances like Death Valley. The Colorado River Valley (e.g Lake Havasu City) would be up there aswell.

26C averages are nothing unique and are common in nearly all low-lying, coastal tropical regions and subtropical deserts. It's values of 27 and above where it becomes region-specific.

Broome is one of the hottest in Australia, 29C lows are common and averages often exceed 27C. The coastal Kimerbeley is in the same league, but it really depends on the strength of the monsoon. Dry years will see lows average up to 28C, maybe a smidge more, but wet years (like this season) will bring cooling rainfall and the averages will be in the 25-26C range.

The most sultry Australian station I found is Cockatoo Island, in the Kimberelys.

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Annual average low is 25.5C / 78F!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
Places in the middle east along the Gulf coast would likely have the highest summer low averages in the world, except in exceptional circumstances like Death Valley. The Colorado River Valley (e.g Lake Havasu City) would be up there aswell.

26C averages are nothing unique and are common in nearly all low-lying, coastal tropical regions and subtropical deserts. It's values of 27 and above where it becomes region-specific.

Broome is one of the hottest in Australia, 29C lows are common and averages often exceed 27C. The coastal Kimerbeley is in the same league, but it really depends on the strength of the monsoon. Dry years will see lows average up to 28C, maybe a smidge more, but wet years (like this season) will bring cooling rainfall and the averages will be in the 25-26C range.

The most sultry Australian station I found is Cockatoo Island, in the Kimberelys.

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Annual average low is 25.5C / 78F!
Yes sultry indeed...yeah it seems 29/39C type forecasts are common in December up north.

26C minima are on the warmer side of tropical: to me minima of like 21-25C are kind of typical equatorial type minimum temps.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes sultry indeed...yeah it seems 29/39C type forecasts are common in December up north.

26C minima are on the warmer side of tropical: to me minima of like 21-25C are kind of typical equatorial type minimum temps.
I think 21C is a bit low for an equatorial location, unless if it is elevated, 24-26 is more common. 26C isn't particularly unique, you'll find it widespread along northern Aus, SE China, SE Asia, equatorial Africa, the deserts of NW Aus, Sahara, SW USA, Middle East, etc.

It's at 27C that the real hot places are seperated from the "mainstream". At this level, the number of locations drops exponentially. To put in perspective, there are several locations in the Pilbara that have long-term average lows of 26C in the hottest month, but none manage to touch 27C. Similarly in areas around the Gulf of Carpentaria and northern NT.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I think 21C is a bit low for an equatorial location, unless if it is elevated, 24-26 is more common. 26C isn't particularly unique, you'll find it widespread along northern Aus, SE China, SE Asia, equatorial Africa, the deserts of NW Aus, Sahara, SW USA, Middle East, etc.

It's at 27C that the real hot places are seperated from the "mainstream". At this level, the number of locations drops exponentially. To put in perspective, there are several locations in the Pilbara that have long-term average lows of 26C in the hottest month, but none manage to touch 27C. Similarly in areas around the Gulf of Carpentaria and northern NT.
Equatorial areas don't get as warm as sub-tropical or higher tropical areas. Singapore's minimums are a steady 22-24C the year round.

Yes, 27C is probably the point where the minimum is exceptionally warm. Above 28C is probably restricted to the Middle East/East Africa and a few sheltered spots in the SW deserts of the US and possibly Mexico.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Equatorial areas don't get as warm as sub-tropical or higher tropical areas. Singapore's minimums are a steady 22-24C the year round.
Singapores low temps always intrigued me. Lower than I'd expect for an equatorial location. Might be to do with the high rainfall cooling things down.
Other EQ locations tend to see atleast a few months with 25C, eg Colombo, Mogadishu. Indian and Pacific ocean Island locations definately see a good 25-26C. The lower values seem to be in areas with higher rainfall, which would explain a lot.

Quote:
Yes, 27C is probably the point where the minimum is exceptionally warm. Above 28C is probably restricted to the Middle East/East Africa and a few sheltered spots in the SW deserts of the US and possibly Mexico.
Potentially in parts of NW Aus aswell, but we'll never know due to the sparse distribution of weather stations.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I can get to those minima inside my bedroom at night if I shut off the A/C in the dog days of summer. That's the beauty of Canadian insulation designed for trapping as much heat as possible in winter.

But anyways... nobody has well-sourced stats for

Quote:
Dallol, Ethiopia?
this, the supposed average hottest place on the globe?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
By definition, sultry includes humidity, which eliminates many areas previously mentioned.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Singapores low temps always intrigued me. Lower than I'd expect for an equatorial location. Might be to do with the high rainfall cooling things down.
Other EQ locations tend to see atleast a few months with 25C, eg Colombo, Mogadishu. Indian and Pacific ocean Island locations definately see a good 25-26C. The lower values seem to be in areas with higher rainfall, which would explain a lot.

Potentially in parts of NW Aus aswell, but we'll never know due to the sparse distribution of weather stations.
No Singapore is actually typical for an equatorial location. Libreville, Gabon is even cooler than Singapore: BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Libreville.

Fortaleza, Brazil is also more like 21-25C:

Fortaleza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colombo isn't equatorial, imo.

Mogadishu is exceptional in being arid equatorial, while the islands have especially maritime climates.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
By definition, sultry includes humidity, which eliminates many areas previously mentioned.
I agree, places like North Queensland or Florida, with minimum temps in the mid-20's are more uncomfortable than those without humidity.
Even 23-24C with humidity, common in south-east Qld or even north-east NSW, are sultry night time temperatures - ie you have the ceiling fan on all night!@
Places like Adelaide can have high 20's or even 30C minimums during a heat wave, but this is not as consistent or as uncomfortable as other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather