Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Advertisements

Nice pictures, ChesterNZ!
It's hard to visualise (for me) that they're in such a cool, maritime climate as the blue sky and sea in the beach scene, such green vegetation makes me feel like I'd be somewhere really hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
The last decent day was over a week ago. It had a low of 60 F and high of 90 F (but with very low humidity -- only an 87 F heat index) with just the right mix of sunshine and cloud (10 hrs of sunshine). I would have preferred a narrower diurnal range, but other than that it was perfect.
I love hot dry days with coolish nights. Not uncommon in the summer here. Usually they're cloudless here. The large diurnal range is an interesting combination and makes the heat less overwhelming. I wouldn't want them every day, but they're perhaps my favorite weather day.

Mmm. Summer!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Nice pictures, ChesterNZ!
It's hard to visualise (for me) that they're in such a cool, maritime climate as the blue sky and sea in the beach scene, such green vegetation makes me feel like I'd be somewhere really hot.
Are those pictures all New Zealand?

I don't think Toronto ever matches that degree of sky-clarity and sun brightness.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Actually many maritime climates can have bright blue dome days at certain times. It's not always cold, grey and gloomy as wavehunter makes them out to be. Here are a couple of pictures of a nice summer day in Vancouver
Attached Thumbnails
My own city weather ranking-vancouver-august-2004-009.jpg   My own city weather ranking-vancouver-august-2004-011.jpg  

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
This is the nearest weather station with sunshine readings:
Climate statistics for Australian locations
This is the airport, very similar to readings at the university.
For a medium sized city > 1/2 million people, this is a good city by world standards.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually many maritime climates can have bright blue dome days at certain times. It's not always cold, grey and gloomy as wavehunter makes them out to be. Here are a couple of pictures of a nice summer day in Vancouver
If you look at the second picture closely you will see that the temperature is likely in the low 20s C. Why do I say this? Because there is a guy sitting to the right wearing long sleeves and pants. Some of the walkers even further to the right also appear to be wearing either long sleeves, long pants or both.

There are plenty of people on the beach in swimsuits but it is common in Canada for people to "force things" like this and go out to beach when the temperature breaks 20. Something you wouldn't see in countries with warmer climate: lots of people at the beach when it is only 21C.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I always tell the story of being on the beach in So. Carolina in my bikini (younger days), locals walking by in their sweat suits looking at me like I had two heads!

Locals hit the beach in TR, high 60's and definitely 70's, and mind Lake Michigan is never warm! Living in the midwest, you don't wait for perfect days to go to the beach. Come April, a few 60 degree days and the shorts, tee shirts, flip flops come out!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
^^^ Same in London, the first rays of warmish sun in springtime and people really do appreciate it, like the mid-60s F heatwave we had last April:
Spring finally here with hottest day of the year this weekend | News

When I went travelling around Italy I remember locals telling me in June that the sea had just got warm enough to swim in, and then me telling them I'd been swimming in it since April.

Also, some of the British coasts look warmer than they actually are. Here are two typical pictures of the North Wales coast at 53 N (taken in November, a month which usually sees 25 or so rainy days), and two of Cornwall at 50 N.

Last edited by ben86; 01-14-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,206 times
You wouldnt get people travelling to the beach in summer if the temp was only 20C though. 20C in summer is considered cool. If it was March, April or October and above 20C then you will see people at the beach.

The highest temperature in March is usually about 18C/64F, while April and October both average 2 days above 20C/68F.

London's record high for March I believe is 24.8C/76.6F, while April and October have both recorded 29.4C/84.9F.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
^^ I love the pics from Cornwall.

I cannot understand why so many people from warm climates think 65 F/18 C outdoors
is too cold for t-shirts and shorts... if they live in an area where excessive air-conditioning is common.
On travels through the US South, I have found tons of restaurants with their A/C was set so low
that when combined with their ceiling fans the air was downright-vile inside for anyone not in long sleeves.

Best example was near Miami in January.

7 pm so it's just after dark, 63 F/17 C and a light rain outside... already coolish imho
Wouldn't you know it there's a big difference in chill stepping into a restaurant.
I ate my meal quickly and ran back outside immediately after I was done...
I warmed up rapidly in the "cool" rain; the difference was that strong!

It seems like brain damage to me to think 69 F/20.5 C outdoors is too chilly for short sleeves,
yet a 60 F/16 C restaurant complete with ceiling fans is "refreshing"

Funnier still,
a lot of the people living in these warm climates who enjoy ice-cold A/C would also say
temps under 75 F/24 C, 80 F/27 C or 85 F/29 C are "too cold" to go to the beach.

I love warmth and heat, but even I think 65 F outdoors is more comfy than being indoors in A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather