Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Cape Hatteras looks good. Only 6 days have highs above 90°, but the summers are never cool. July is 85/73, March 60/44, January 54/39, October 73/59. A short season of frost.

In fact, I think Cape hatteras has the nicest climate on the east coast. As long as you don't mind hurricanes. But the hurricanes North Carolina gets are usually of the weaker variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Cape Hatteras is on the front lines.

If a hurricane is going to hit the Carolinas, they have an 80+% chance of seeing at least a portion of it.

Cape Hatteras is at the crossroads of the Gulf Stream and the cold Labrador Current.
So even if the water isn't very warm immediately at Cape Hatteras,
it's probably likely the water was still 80+ F only 20-30 miles south of it.

It's true the daytime highs are lower in Cape Hatteras,
but I'm suspicious if it actually "feels" cooler than most places inland.
Coastal areas in the Carolinas always have thicker humidity.
If there is a difference, I would expect it is only slight.
Main difference is they're surround by sea that you can cool off in,
as SST's at the beach don't seem to pass 78 F.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,623 times
Florida; the others all get cold in winter.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
All the areas seem really nice and exotic for me, since, for any trips I've done crossing the border from Canada, I haven't gone further south than Washington, D.C.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Too cold would be less than 30, too hot would be more than 90. Actually, it's the humidity more than the heat. Short periods of cold and heat. Longer periods of 60-80's.

The age is 40's since that maybe of importance.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Too cold would be less than 30, too hot would be more than 90. Actually, it's the humidity more than the heat. Short periods of cold and heat. Longer periods of 60-80's.

If too cold would be less than 30, then I'd stick to south Florida. I think Florida would have longer periods of 60-80s than the other places. All the others can have really cold spells in winter.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:

That's still quite vauge.
How rare do you want < 30 F to be?
How rare do you want > 90 F to be?

It's very easy to pick one or the other to be very rare from NC to FL.

If you are only used to 91 F with Florida-style humidity,
you might be surprised at how much lower the humidity usually feels in parts of interior SC/NC.
Overnight lows are usually a good indicator at how high or low the humidity is.

If I wanted to see tons of 60's to 80's F for highs, I'd simply pick coastal central/north FL.

Charleston SC is quite mild in winter for its latitude.
Summers would be just as bad as Florida's, only shorter? Winter more distinct.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Coastal Southern Florida.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
I agree with coastal North Carolina... only drawback there is a fairly high risk of hurricanes, but so is Florida.... both stick out like a sore thumb!

Coastal NC would not have a harshly cold winter and the summers would be nice with the seabreeze if there is one - if not, it can be very sultry and humid. Upstate (mountainous) Georgia, upsate South Carolina and western North Carolina are nice in the summer with some relief from the heat in the higher elevations, but also I would say make a nice year round weather event, as winters here are not that harsh either, especially when compared to the north country. Central Carolinas and Georgia around the "sand hills / fall-line hills" some folks call them, between the coastal areas and the mountain areas of the Carolinas and GA can get extremely hot in the summer... 100s are not uncommon with dreadfully high humidity and dewpoints.... dewpoints often in the mid to upper 70s to occasionally lower 80s, which is miserably hot.

I like the Spanish Moss comment too... I have tried it here in northeast Tennessee for a couple of years now like a fool and it always dies in late winter. I have seen it before in southeast North Carolina in Wilmingon and I even seen some in some trees around Rock Hill South Carolina just south of Charlotte, but someone may have put it there. I am thinking its as far inland as Columbia SC for sure? I dont recall ever seeing it where my family in Anderson SC lives, but that is more in the upstate and around 700 ft elevation.

Kinda getting off-topic here, I will shut up now, lol.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM

42 posts, read 107,992 times
Quote:
Not too hot, not too cold. Which has the best year round mild climate? I know I can look for averages, but I want to hear it from people who have experienced it. Feel free to compare any of the above. How long do the heat and cold last? Temps? More tolerable weather, not one extreme or the either, in the middle.
Neither in my opinion. The summers are too hot and too muggy for any type of life (coming from someone who hates the heat) and thunderstorms are always appreciated. The winters are cool at best. Not really much of a winter but we do get occasional instances where the temperatures dip into the 30's but they're back up in the 50's and 60's the week after. Not much snow either, an inch, two inches, and then most of it's gone by the next afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather