Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM

32 posts, read 56,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Kansas city and the central valley calif have the same dew point

That photo must be about year round dew point cause it def aint true in the summer.

You have to click through the pages to see month by month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 PM

In the eastern half of the US, you either get snow, high dew points, or both. In the western us, if you don't like snow or 90 degree plus summers, you must be on the coast. North of SF though, this means winter permacloud.

At these latitudes, it is nearly impossible to get comfortable year round weather. Go for a high elevation tropical climate if you want that (with a few exceptions within a couple miles if the pacific coast).

I enjoy snow and hate high dewpoints and clouds, so southwest Virginia and western North Carolina, as well as the mountain southwest are great for me. Southern California is not of interest to me because I am an outdoorsy person who likes seeing things bloom in the summer.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:10 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagledrummer23 View Post
Southern California is not of interest to me because I am an outdoorsy person who likes seeing things bloom in the summer.
There is always something blooming in Southern California. All year round. I'm not sure why you would think nothing is blooming in the summer.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There is always something blooming in Southern California. All year round. I'm not sure why you would think nothing is blooming in the summer.
If you water it with Colorado River water, sure :P

Old 06-13-2018, 06:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagledrummer23 View Post
If you water it with Colorado River water, sure :P
No, I mean native vegetation. If you're actually in the desert, you might need to go outside at night to see the flowers though.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
What about Salinas, California? Far enough inland to drag humidity down in summer, but coastal enough to be mild.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,768 times
I agree with one of the original posts. The Monzingo Index ("Mozingo" where I come from) is the most understandable way for the normal person to calculate comfortability. (MI = air temp + dew point - wind speed.) I've heard more and more people referencing this over the past few years. I think its an old western pioneer thing, but am not sure...but it sure seems to work. Every time I am traveling (or looking to travel), if I quickly calculate the MI it gives an excellent idea of how comfortable the weather is at that locale. I think the sweet spot is 120-130.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:07 PM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
As the OP of this thread, I just had to move to Las Vegas due to my job.

Looks like the dew point there is between 20-40 most of the time with temps up to 120.

I will keep you all posted on how this "dry heat" really turns out
Welp... how do you like Las Vegas? Weather, Dew Point... as well as in general?

Old 11-07-2019, 04:49 PM

78 posts, read 311,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Welp... how do you like Las Vegas? Weather, Dew Point... as well as in general?

Time for an update I guess

Yes, the humidity really makes a huge difference as we all know. For example in Vegas, with humidity
below 10 most of the time, temperatures up to a 100 are actually bearable and 75-95s are really pleasant.

When it gets to 100+, it starts to get hot - as in convection oven type hot - and anything above 110 means,

don't leave the shade or house .

One thing I didn't anticipate was the cold nights in the winter due to the desert topography.
It gets to high 30s and low 40s in Dec/Jan nights.

Also, very little rain. Around 4-5 inches max per year. This may be good or bad depending on your preference.

In general, the LV metro area (LV, NLV & Henderson) is not bad as long as you avoid the tourist areas - strip, downtown etc.
Less traffic than most other similar sized cities and surprisingly, a large number of parks with greenery.

Still in search of that year round perfect weather place that is also affordable

Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 PM

855 posts, read 771,071 times
Most comfortable dewpoint year round is Pacific Northwest or coastal California. Michigan has to be among the least comfortable. Bone dry dew points in winter that will make your skin crack, combined with often humid and muggy summers (in the southeast anyway). So winter dews suck, summer dews suck...you're lucky if you get a couple months in between with pleasant moderate dews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather