U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

43 posts, read 59,365 times
Default US cities with comfortable dew points year round

Some time ago, I learnt about the importance of dew point in determining the
comfortableness of a location.

Dew point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is San Diego the only lucky area to fall in the comfortable zone of
dew points [50-60 F] year round ?

Aren't there any other at all in the US without the San Diego price tag ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 PM

26,311 posts, read 12,783,227 times
If you only care about summer dew point, look at this map.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp2107.pdf

Southern New England is in the 55-60, but its dew points are variable enough it gets into the uncomfortable range sometimes. Perhaps 50-55 might better comfort zone for the east coast.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks, year round would be ideal as I am not a big snow/cold person

Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

193 posts, read 140,036 times
Yeah dew point is the best way of determining the moisture content of the air especially with regards to comfort. Most (if not all) of the US west coast have comfortable dew points year-round I think. Unfortunately, if you don't like snow/cold, the east coast isn't ideal and further south is very humid. Usually, places with little rainfall tend to have low dew points. The Persian Gulf is an exception to this!! Dew points there are horrendous - up to 90F in summer with temperatures above 100F. I think most places in the US either have dew points either much lower or much higher than the 50s at certain times of the year.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,426,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
Some time ago, I learnt about the importance of dew point in determining the
comfortableness of a location.

Dew point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is San Diego the only lucky area to fall in the comfortable zone of
dew points [50-60 F] year round ?

Aren't there any other at all in the US without the San Diego price tag ?
The down side is San Diego is often lacking in true warmth in the summer. I have heard from many friends who live on the California coast that summers are often quite cool compared to the Gulf and East Coast areas of the USA. Add in that the Pacific is freezing cold compared to the Gulf and Atlantic in summer and those dew points not be worth it if you like the beach.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 PM

One interesting thing I notice from the map "nei" posted is that the
Central Florida region does not seem to get too steamy in the Summer.

Anyone from that region (Gainesville, Lake city) of FL care to comment ?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,607,702 times
22C (72F) is very comfortable for me I don't know what's up with you dry-air-lovers

Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,331 times
This is very interesting ....I have heard about a formula that predicts the climatic "comfort level "...It is known as the Monzingo Index and combines the dewpoint and air temperature to derive a comfort number ,i.e. air temp of 90 degrees added to a dewpoint of 60 gives an MI of 150...Personally I think a temp of 72 and dewpoint of 56 (MI=128) is ideal......This number is found mainly in Southern California from Santa Barbara to San Diego

Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,307 times
I've heard of the Monzingo Index. I've never hear anyone outside of parts of Texas ever really refer to it, though. Some call it the Mozingo index, as well. I know it is a complicated formula that uses dew point, air temperature, wind speed and many other variables to derive a "comfort index". For the crude layman understanding (mine), I think you can just add the air temperature and dew point together and then subtract the wind speed. In this "layman" fashion, it only really works when the air temperature is between about 65 and 100 degrees. The detail formula apparently has other variables that make it valuable at any temperature above freezing. In the summer, I find the Monzingo Index very accurate and helpful. It should be more widely used!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 AM

2,868 posts, read 840,415 times
San Francisco. Oceanside. Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather