Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I think Christchurch does quite well for a coastal, maritime, temperate climate with a range of about 52 C between the record high and low.
Christchurch has been hotter than Toronto?
Maybe not heat-index wise... but still.
-10 C low, 41.6 C high.

I might have guessed Chch records were -6 C and 37 C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Record high in Christchurch is 107 F? That's very impressive.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
We have beaten this to death…but I agree with txsizzler …subtropical classification isn't "stretching" it at all for S. Texas. True, south Texas is not a mild as south Florida, and south Florida doesn’t see the lower numbers that south Texas will when the severe cold snaps strike, but south Texas is easily a subtropical climate. It is a bit unfair to take a few days out of the year and use to as a way to classify a climate…and disregard the other 360 days on the year (lol). The winter monsoon in subtropical East Asia and the southern USA (from CA to SC)…allow for cold fronts to sweep down from the higher land areas of these countries once or twice a year and drop temps down into subtropical latitudes for a day or two before the front pushes off the mainland.

Also, it is a bit unfair to take this past Dec in cities like Phoenix, Corpus Christi, Charleston…etc and hold it up as normal or average temps for winter. Some of these cities saw their coldest December in 50 years. If you use upper 50’s as a definition of highs in subtropical climates…then everywhere from Central California… though the Desert Southwest…eastward through the coastal plain of the Gulf states to eastern South Carolina would be subtropical since they have normal December highs above 55 F.

As to temps in the 30’s /frosts …it is also untrue that locations in other parts of the world in subtropical latitudes (and even the northern margin of the tropics) have never seen temps in the 30’s. Places like Hanoi, Vietnam (36 F), Naples, Italy (24 F), New Delhi (30 F)…etc have seen temps in the 20’s and 30’s before. Should these areas not be considered subtropical/northern tropical?

Old Koppen said it best when someone noted that there have been days above 75 F above the Arctic Circle: The one or two day anomaly doesn’t determine the general climate of any region.
Is Naples considered subtropical?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
It's typical Mediterranean to me. 40 degrees N, and January averages 13/4 (C) with plenty of rain. It's considered part of Africa by northern Italians, but that's another story...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's typical Mediterranean to me. 40 degrees N, and January averages 13/4 (C) with plenty of rain. It's considered part of Africa by northern Italians, but that's another story...
The coldest half of the year is similar to here for average temps, although our mins are lower and our winters are sunnier. The warmest half is a different story though.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Aren't Mediterranean climates considered the dry-summer form of a subtropical climate (under the Koppen system)?

Most of the discussion seems use subtropical to refer to humid subtropical climates as the "exemplar" (although sometimes southern California or the southwest is considered as subtropical in wording).

If you think about it, many hot summer (like Rome, not like San Fransisco) Mediterranean climates would make very good exemplars of the stereotypical image of "subtropical climate" temps-wise, if not for rainfall, because they have consistently hot summer highs of around 80F/26C to 85F/30C or so and they're the ones whose vegetation (olives, citrus, date palms) are being discussed as the standard for surviving that climate in the US!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Aren't Mediterranean climates considered the dry-summer form of a subtropical climate (under the Koppen system)?

Most of the discussion seems use subtropical to refer to humid subtropical climates as the "exemplar" (although sometimes southern California or the southwest is considered as subtropical in wording).

If you think about it, many hot summer (like Rome, not like San Fransisco) Mediterranean climates would make very good exemplars of the stereotypical image of "subtropical climate" temps-wise, if not for rainfall, because they have consistently hot summer highs of around 80F/26C to 85F/30C or so and they're the ones whose vegetation (olives, citrus, date palms) are being discussed as the standard for surviving that climate in the US!

I think it was generally agreed upon that for a climate to be truly subtropical, you have to to have 8 months of the year that average 10C (50F) or higher and have a yearly average temperature greater than 16C (60F).

I think Koppen labelling the "Csb" as subtropical was a bit of a misnomer as some places which under Koppen would qualify as "Csb" such as Victoria, BC and Seattle, WA are clearly not.

You'd be surprised about how hardy olives, citrus and date palms are. Certain varieties can easily survive in warm temperate climates and are not strictly subtropical. Certain citrus hybrids can survive down to -10C or even lower without much of a problem. Olives are even grown in sheltered locations on Saltspring Island, BC. Date palms are also hardy down to around -7C and can be grown in places as far north as coastal southern Oregon without protection.

In South Texas, I've seen many pictures of Date palms and other palm trees. I doubt this short lived cold snap will do anything to them. Coconut palms on the other hand still remains to be seen....

Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You'd be surprised about how hardy olives, citrus and date palms are. Certain varieties can easily survive in warm temperate climates and are not strictly subtropical. Certain citrus hybrids can survive down to -10C or even lower without much of a problem. Olives are even grown in sheltered locations on Saltspring Island, BC. Date palms are also hardy down to around -7C and can be grown in places as far north as coastal southern Oregon without protection.
That's pretty interesting, but don't those fruits need sorts of hot sunny summers to grow well? Perhaps they're grown more of as ornamentals in the more maritime climates?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,506 times
You're underestimating how much cold coconut palms can really take. The coconut palms died in Vero Beach becuase of last years freeze which already crippled them, this year was just the final blow. I visited South Padre last summer and the coconut palms were nearly untouched and were even fruiting by the 32F they had. Mature Coconut Palms survived 28F in St. Petersburg last year and will likely recover. Port Isabel bottumed out at 29F yesterday so South Padre probably saw 31F and will likely see 33F today followed by a quick warmup into the 70s, keen for survival. Deep South Texas is definitely subtropical, though not on the South Florida level. It has more in common with the St. Petersburg-Tampa-Orlando area, citurs is also damaged in these areas every 20 years or so, but they remain warm enough for coconut palms to live in between the freeze intervels, which is the same situation Brownsville-South Padre has.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
You're underestimating how much cold coconut palms can really take. The coconut palms died in Vero Beach becuase of last years freeze which already crippled them, this year was just the final blow. I visited South Padre last summer and the coconut palms were nearly untouched and were even fruiting by the 32F they had. Mature Coconut Palms survived 28F in St. Petersburg last year and will likely recover. Port Isabel bottumed out at 29F yesterday so South Padre probably saw 31F and will likely see 33F today followed by a quick warmup into the 70s, keen for survival. Deep South Texas is definitely subtropical, though not on the South Florida level. It has more in common with the St. Petersburg-Tampa-Orlando area, citurs is also damaged in these areas every 20 years or so, but they remain warm enough for coconut palms to live in between the freeze intervels, which is the same situation Brownsville-South Padre has.
Wow…I was just about to say the same thing (lol).

Coconut palms …and even citrus are much tougher than many people give them credit for. I have a small hot house, and as the costs of electricty has risen here in the states, I have had to experiment with cooler and cooler nights in the greenhouse (now in the mid 40’s (F). I have a few potted citrus trees, and a few truly tropical palms like Cuban Royal Palms (brought up from southern Florida)…and several times each winter the low in the greenhouse has fallen to 27 – 31 F (-3 to -1 C) for a few hours and the plants seem fine (only tip and margin burn). Of course during a sunny day it hits 85 F in the hot house, so they get a lot of heat…and that might be the difference. I read that coconut palms need a long season of hot weather to fend off diseases and stem rot during the few frosty nights. So I think this also helps them in places like coastal south Texas and other areas that subject to a cold shot once or twice a year., but are otherwise hot climates.

I really think the coconut palms will be fine on South Padre Island…but it will be an interesting test. If they survive, I might try one in the greenhouse. Then I can really torture one...and see how much they can take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather