Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times

Advertisements

Sunny and 63 F here today. Spring is knocking at the door.

This would be a typical summer day in my dream climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
It's about 65 right now, it feels great.

Tomorrow should feel like a typical Summer NIGHT, comfortable low 70's.

Can't wait until "Heat Index" season lol.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It's about 65 right now, it feels great.

Tomorrow should feel like a typical Summer NIGHT, comfortable low 70's.

Can't wait until "Heat Index" season lol.
Where I grew up that's warmer than most summer days, never mind the nights Incidentally, despite those temperatures are there still some people over there insisting it's not spring until the 21st? Would be a crazy concept to me, but then we don't have an 'official' first day of spring per se.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Where I grew up that's warmer than most summer days, never mind the nights Incidentally, despite those temperatures are there still some people over there insisting it's not spring until the 21st? Would be a crazy concept to me, but then we don't have an 'official' first day of spring per se.
Yea, you still hear people say spring begins March 21st. It's rather silly, since March on average isn't warmer than December, but people keep saying that since "that's what I've been told".

But saying Dec-Feb is winter and March is spring doesn't work quite right either. If we wanted winter to be where the coldest 3 month stretch of the year, it looks like on average that would be Dec 10 - Mar 10 where I grew up near NYC

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, you still hear people say spring begins March 21st. It's rather silly, since March on average isn't warmer than December, but people keep saying that since "that's what I've been told".

But saying Dec-Feb is winter and March is spring doesn't work quite right either. If we wanted winter to be where the coldest 3 month stretch of the year, it looks like on average that would be Dec 10 - Mar 10 where I grew up near NYC
What makes winter winter for me here is a combination of cold and darkness/gloom more so than cold itself so Dec 1 - Feb 28 works well here as a rough guide, though today sure felt like winter with no sun, persistent diagonal rain and a below-freezing windchill at lunchtime. Regardless of the date/weather it must already be tourist season in London: I went into the city centre this afternoon and while trying to get out of a tube station I saw a massive group of teenagers blocking the entire staircase getting in everybody's way while they had a good long look at the map and shouted at each other in Italian - that sound familiar to an ex-New Yorker?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Its always tourist season in NYC lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
All right! -- it finally feels spring like these couple of days with 10C (50F)+ temps. Apparently was 14-15C (57-59F) all through the overnight last night. It's 12C (53F) today.

On the street, people are starting to wear either light jackets or sweatshirts now though some wear or carry their winter jackets as if cautiously optimistic.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
40's today but I'm surprised to see day lily plants peeking through the ground! Silly, local weather says we might get snow next week! Wild Crocus are coming up, too but they always arrive with snow on the ground.

I planted some pachysandra someone gave me last fall and it looks the same, green as can be. Not familiar with it, but I'm amazed because I had 4 feet of snow along my back fence.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
We actually hit the low 80's today, I'm blown away. JFK Airport broke a record by like 10 degrees (Fahrenheit). I'm sure every other major station in the area smashed records too.

Here Spring (all the seasons actually) usually starts somewhere between the meteorological beginning and the astronomical beginning so I'm sure most people feel it's been Spring for a while (few weeks), I know some who feel it starts the 21st but for the most part it's been Spring for a few weeks.

There's flowers out and some buds launched out leaves between yesterday (which was like 65 degrees) and today which was in the low 80's. A lot of the grass is vibrant too, there's still some brown but I'd say it's about half and half now.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
hit 75°F where I am (I'm in Long Island) for the weekend. A few flowers came out and the daffodils stalks are poking out but haven't bloomed yet. A few bushes have little yellow things.

Quote:

Over here we often get the first spring flowers around mid-February and the first true summer-like 75F and sunny day can easily be as late as late May (I think the most we've had so far is 57F) so spring is a proper three-month season in its own right
(from ben86) So does it mean spring started or ended here?

Up in western Massachusetts, it hit 67°F and there's still a few patches of snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather