U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,192,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The coast inland difference is striking. I suspect it might be even larger for fall.

Actually, for being inland New England has a fairly fast onset of Spring. For example Ithaca is at a similar latitude as Amherst but has a March mean of 32 instead of 36. For April, Amherst's mean is 46.8 while Ithaca's 43.8. Actually spring might not really be delayed, it's just that winter is colder than down by the coast, so the same amount of temperature increase will still be colder. Though by summer the inland coast temperature difference is rather small.
Yes, Ithaca seems to have warmer spring temps later than Amherst. Maybe this is because the colder air masses in spring coming from the upper Midwest modify a bit more by the time the reach inland Massachusetts compared to western NY. That is interesting

I was really pointing more to areas from NYC southward – both coastal and inland. I think that mean temps/snow/frost/ disappears quicker in those areas than up in New England. Here is a map of frost –free areas on May 1st. It looks like most of interior New England (including most of Massachusetts) sees frost later than places from southern Connecticut/Long Island southward. I would think maybe as we move through April and very early May, spring in New England might take little longer to get into full swing compared to points south, both coastal and inland. I would be interested to see last frost dates in places in NJ/NYC compared to Massachusetts, I'll check the NOAA site later today.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nomadct/ff1.jpg (broken link)

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,127,240 times
Average date for the final frost here in NW New Jersey is May 9th. Coldest record low for the month is 24 F, set on May 3 and 5th in 1966. May 11, 2010 was the last freeze of the season with the low dropping down to 28 F. The record was 25 F set in 1966. Seems as though there are a lot of record lows from the years 1966 and 1967 for some reason.

Latest freeze on record was May 31st with a low of 32 F. Not sure what year it was.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM

25,125 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Also, the biggest difference is between night temperatures. The high temperatures where I live (near Amherst) is quite similar to Long Island (I'm excluding NYC because NYC is warmer due to the heat island effect). Between the finger lakes (such as Ithaca) and Amherst the high temperatures are noticeably cooler in Ithaca. I think this because the Great Lakes delays warm up, not really sure.

Final frost in Long Island is prob around April 10-15. Last year it was March 28.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM

712 posts, read 766,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
The Osoberries (Bearberries) started leafing out around the 1st of the month where I live and they are among the first of the woody plants to do so in the Willamette Valley. For me that is a sign we are turning the corner and heading for spring.

Crocuses are starting to pop up in my yard and in those of my neighbors. Our Camelia has shot flowers all winter but has now exploded and we have been able to pick some of the flowers to enjoy indoors. Ornamental Redbuds have blossomed while snowdrops and a few early violets are poking their flowers out.

Out in those farms where the owners have resisted shooting their sheep up with hormones the first of the lambs have dropped. Fields are littered with babies.

Our up-to-now sunny winter has returned to form with a bang but the change is too little and too late; spring has started making inroads and by mid-April will have routed winter almost completely.
Ya know, I shouldn't have said anything! Murphy jumped up out of where ever he sleeps and bit me on the leg.

Real winter visits us again, uninvited if not unannounced. Early yesterday morning we, in Corvallis, had nearly 4 inches of snow (as measured in my back yard) dump on us in a matter of about an hour and a half. If that nonsense had kept up for an entire day I would be up to my bald spot in the stuff. Although the snow draped landscape was very beautiful, for us this is way too late.

Not only that, we are expected to see temperatures drop into the teens tonight and some low spots in our high valleys may see the thermometer scrape ten degrees. Our top end temperature today was a whopping 36 degrees. That's insane for western Oregon this late in the winter. I realize people in Wisconsin or North Dakota or Nunavut would laugh at those readings but for here that's about 25 or more degrees below average.

One or two more days of this and we're back to rain and near average temperatures.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,353,015 times
One species of tree here started blooming earlier this week. I don't know what it's called, but it's a pretty white for about a few weeks while it's blooming. Last year, it didn't start blooming until the middle of March and on average it starts blooming in early March.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,353,015 times
The third one was what I was referring to, but I saw while I was outside that two more plants were blooming, so I took pictures of those as well.
Springwatch 2011-dsc_0105.jpgSpringwatch 2011-dsc_0111.jpgSpringwatch 2011-dsc_0137.jpg

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,583,451 times
I'm not entirely sure but the first two look like magnolias perhaps, and the white one looks like a plum tree (or perhaps a cherry)'s flowers.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 AM

4,303 posts, read 3,122,927 times
Some welcome spring colour coming back to London at the moment:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen spring colours like that in February before while living up north, but I suppose for London this is normal for the time of year or possibly even a week or two late compared to most years in the 90s/00s.
Attached Thumbnails
Springwatch 2011-picture-006.jpg   Springwatch 2011-picture-012.jpg   Springwatch 2011-picture-016.jpg   Springwatch 2011-picture-017.jpg  

Last edited by ben86; 02-27-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM

10,364 posts, read 5,127,240 times
Feels spring-like today even though right now its only 40 F. Enjoying the fresh air with the windows open.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,581,102 times
First thunderstorm of the season here. Spring is starting with a bang! (or a clap)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather