U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,878,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin96 View Post
I prefer the colder weather, coming from a Texan. I do like it when it is warm and short-wearing weather (which is usually anything higher than the upper 30's for me) but a nice breeze would be appreciated to go along with it.
You wear shorts at 38 F? With a fresh breeze? And this feels warm to you? I honestly don't see how this is physiologically possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM

10,644 posts, read 5,859,396 times
Dead of winter here and I still have no desire for warmer weather. Much more comfortable to dress warmly during the winter. Not much you can do during the summer but sweat and take ten showers a day.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,393,161 times
I was in Sioux City, IA when it was -2 F outside and I went out and had fun playing in the snow. When it's 100, I don't go outside if it's not absolutely necessary. I'd rather roll around in the snow naked than be in 100 degree weather. The Texas climate absolutely sucks.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 PM

727 posts, read 844,299 times
What bites is not so much the fact that it is cold in Texas but that temperatures are so far below average. A daytime high of 32 (0) in Grand Forks this time a year would be considered balmy. And I doubt if Churchill in Manitoba has ever seen weather that warm in February.....

...But a max of freezing on South Padre or Brownsville is killing cold. It would be almost equivalent to a top temperature of 10 degrees in New York City or one of -20 in GF. People (and coconut palms) just aren't used to that kind of aggrivation.

And while we're at it, I noted that Angel Fire in northern New Mexico sank to -39 (-40C) yesterday morning. Texas isn't the only state suffering. Taos fell to-26 (-32), just one off their all time record for any day of the year. Pecos Ranger Station, not too far from Santa Fe, did set an all time ever low temperature record of -31 (-35) and it wouldn't suprise me to find out later that somebody down there beat the all time state record of -50 (-45.6).

Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM

634 posts, read 374,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
After 40 years in Florida, I've come to hate hot weather. It was 80 degrees today with humidity in the 70% range. Man, I wish that cold front had made down to us. Gonna be a long summer around here.

I'll trade with you!!

I'm in CT were we have already gotten 70 inches of snow this season! I'll be in the West Palm Beach area on Feb 10th to 14th and hope that cold front DOESN'T make it into FL!!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 AM

3,720 posts, read 2,898,885 times
I wouldn't worry about it-it's 70 degrees with 90% humidity as I write this. The coolish temperatures are probably gone for the year. Florida is basically a 1 and a sixth season state-10 months of summer, two months (sometimes less) of fall. Ugh.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM

6,758 posts, read 7,120,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I was in Sioux City, IA when it was -2 F outside and I went out and had fun playing in the snow. When it's 100, I don't go outside if it's not absolutely necessary. I'd rather roll around in the snow naked than be in 100 degree weather. The Texas climate absolutely sucks.
I guess it is "to each their own". I went for a mile walk in the snow yesterday, temps around 17 degrees. Funny thing is, in order to not get too cold, I end up sweating in all the layers. My face was still frozen, hands were still numb, yet on the way back in I had to take off my jacket because my body was sweating under all the clothes.

100 degree days are no big deal at all. I don't mind a little sweat, its easy enough to grab a quick shower. Not sure why some people mention needing 10 showers a day. I guess I could understand for people who sweat profusely it being an issue.

Personally, I love Texas weather, and actually I am wishing we were having 80+ weather right now like we occasionally do in Feb.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,560,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I honestly do not understand how it is possible to like cold weather more than hot weather. I would give anything right now if the temp would soar to 100 outside right now. The thing is, compared to other parts of the country our temps right now are fairly average for a lot of places up north. 4 days of temps between 10 and 20 is enough to drive me crazy. All the extra clothes, gloves, hat, etc. just to try not to go numb when going for a treacherous walk this morning was enough to drive me nuts!!!!

I say AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! I can't stand this and will be glad for some warmer temps. I won't complain about the 100 degree weather when it gets here at all.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM

571 posts, read 610,673 times
I'm in NW NC, and we are having an unusually cold winter here... it is misrable! Driving in the ice/snow is horrible, and wearing all the layers is uncomfortable. The gray/brown landscape is depressing...

Spring cannot arrive soon enough for me... flowers blooming, green leaves and grass, and warm days. And nights warm enough to sit outside and listen to the sounds of summer and watch the fireflies!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:50 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,393,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I guess it is "to each their own". I went for a mile walk in the snow yesterday, temps around 17 degrees. Funny thing is, in order to not get too cold, I end up sweating in all the layers. My face was still frozen, hands were still numb, yet on the way back in I had to take off my jacket because my body was sweating under all the clothes
Don't get me wrong, I do put on the layers when it gets this cold. I was using a hyperbole when I said I'd roll around naked in the snow. The point was I can actually dress in layers when it's cold. The only times it really bothered me was when I had to wake up early for work and be in it all day. If I have to get in it before my metabolism has kicked in and stay in it, I won't ever warm up until I take a hot shower. That's mainly an issue with me not being a morning person though and I'm still not sure I wouldn't prefer it over summer heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather