Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My experience is that the pretty scene you show just doesn't last more than two days, with a giant snow storm. A more normal 6" snowstorm and it looks like crap after one day around here. The snow gets all gritty and dirty looking. Then at night it freezes so in the morning when you head to work you slip on your as... It sucks! I do hate snow, except if I'm on a mountain vacation somewhere.
Agreed. It's the actual snowstorms that I like, and shortly after them. Snow quickly turns into an ugly sight here, luckily it melts within a few days (or even hours depending on the amount and/or warmth), I'd be depressed if we had brown/black muddy ice/snow/water on the ground for weeks/months at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This is what I'm not too keen on.. wet, slushy snow - if you're not wearing the correct type of shoes, your feet get soaking.

This scene in particular makes me want to be sick.. look at those massive puddles!
That looks like here, I hate it.

But on the bright side, at least it melts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times
Why do I hate snow?

Because of the very bad road conditions it causes, from Nov - April every year we have do be very careful on the road. I think I mentioned this before, but I have a few friends (3) who lost their entire families in car accidents caused by bad drivers on the road.

That is the number one reason why I hate it, hard to turn on the news everyday and hear about the numerous accidents which some are fatal caused by icy roads.

I wouldn't mind the snow to visit but I don't want to live anywhere later in life where it is a common occurrence.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
A scene like this is just perfect.. looks so clean and pretty. Most of the cars are trapped in snow anyway.
That is a nice scenery. I knew it was from Stockholm, but would known it anyway, as the 3 is different on the speed limit signs here.

Who couldn't like this?

Ok, back to reality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Why do I hate snow?

Because of the very bad road conditions it causes, from Nov - April every year we have do be very careful on the road. I think I mentioned this before, but I have a few friends (3) who lost their entire families in car accidents caused by bad drivers on the road.
This is terrible! I'm shocked. In Canada where people should be used to wintery driving conditions.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Mm, sexy slush.

They're Helsinki, right?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Mm, sexy slush.

They're Helsinki, right?
Yes. I couldn't find any decent pictures from winter 2010.

A Finnish forum I frequent is much better in this sense. They couldn't care less about copyright issues.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Why do I hate snow?

That is the number one reason why I hate it, hard to turn on the news everyday and hear about the numerous accidents which some are fatal caused by icy roads.

I wouldn't mind the snow to visit but I don't want to live anywhere later in life where it is a common occurrence.
I thought people in cold areas didn't have crashes.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My experience is that the pretty scene you show just doesn't last more than two days, with a giant snow storm. A more normal 6" snowstorm and it looks like crap after one day around here. The snow gets all gritty and dirty looking. Then at night it freezes so in the morning when you head to work you slip on your as... It sucks! I do hate snow, except if I'm on a mountain vacation somewhere.
Only in cities.

Where I live the snow stays white until it melts again.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Your winters are pretty feeble though, with far too much deviation from the norm. That image is from Stockholm in February 2010, following on from the very snowy and cold January where temperatures exceeded freezing only once. Snow depth of around 55-60cm. That's not a normal winter there though, and a normal winter there would include more thaws, but the lack of daylight, and lower sun angle, will reduce the sun's power significantly.
So true.

The snow would probably last longer in scotland than where he lives.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm not too keen on.. wet, slushy snow - if you're not wearing the correct type of shoes, your feet get soaking.

This scene in particular makes me want to be sick.. look at those massive puddles!
Can't stand that.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:08 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

This is terrible! I'm shocked. In Canada where people should be used to wintery driving conditions.

Looking back at the news articles they all occurred in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather