U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:33 AM

5,944 posts, read 3,064,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
100F - wifebeater, shorts, sandals with white socks, headscarf
80F - wifebeater, shorts, sandals with white socks, headscarf
70F - wifebeater, shorts, sandals with white socks, snapback
60F - college jacket, adidas track pants, white socks, tennis shoes, snapback
50F - college jacket, camo pants, white socks, tennis shoes, snapback
40F - pilot jacket, camo pants, white socks, tennis shoes, snapback
30F - pilot jacket, camo pants, white socks, cowboy boots, balaclava
20F - shining quilted jacket, camo pants, white socks, cowboy boots, balaclava
10F - not going outside
that makes for interesting styles !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM

3,657 posts, read 1,428,827 times
If I'm outside for 45 minutes or less:

30F (-1C): T-shirt with shorts

20F (-7C): T-shirt with shorts / gloves

10F (-12C): light hoody with shorts / gloves

0F (-18C): light hoody with shorts / gloves / hat

-20F (-29C): three layers on top (thermal, shirt, hoody) / long pants on top of long johns / well-insulated gloves or mitts / hat

-40F (-40C): I've never experienced this (my lowest is -23F/-31C) but I can extrapolate:
three moderately thick layers on top / three layers of pants / very well insulated mitts (gloves wouldn't cut it) / hat / face mask / wool socks with thick boots

If I'm outside for more than 45 minutes:

30F (-1C): light hoody with shorts

20F (-7C): light hoody with shorts / gloves

10F (-12C): light hoody with long pants / gloves /hat

0F (-18C): light jacket with long pants / gloves / hat

-20F (-29C): three layers on top (thermal, shirt, jacket) / three layers on bottom / well-insulated mitts / hat / face mask / wool socks and boots

-40F (-40C): I've never experienced this (my lowest is -23F/-31C) but I can extrapolate:
two layers on top WITH a moderately thick winter coat on top of those / three layers of pants / very well insulated mitts / 2 hats / face mask / wool socks with thick boots

Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM

6,504 posts, read 4,233,744 times
^^ either you're immune to cold, or you're talking complete *******s.

Are you a postman?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM

5,979 posts, read 3,074,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post

Are you a postman?
I'm sure it's the latter.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,880,660 times
Combination of temp. above 90°F / Sunny / UV Index above 5 = Wear sunscreen, cover the skin as possible even it's too hot. Not trying to go outside at all.

Above 80°F = Protect upper body from getting tan, shorts are fine though.
70~79°F = If UV Index is low and the sky is covered with clouds, perfect summer outfit weather.
60~69°F = Shirts, shorts, sometimes flip flops are good.
50~59°F = Depends on what the body tells. If stayed for long time in a/c room then go outside and plus it's windy, need a light hoodie or light jacket. But generally shirts and shorts are okay.
40~49°F = Less than an hour, shirts and shorts. More than an hour, hoodie and shorts.
32~39°F = Less than half an hour, shorts and shorts are still manageable. More than half an hour, hoodie and shorts.
20~32°F = Hoodie and shorts.
10~19°F = Hoodie and cargo/jeans, sometimes wear hat to cover my ears.
0~9°F = Hoodie and cargo/jeans. If I'm outside for long time, thick winter jacket is needed.
Below 0°F = Thick winter jacket, snowboard pants are probably considered.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
This is actually what I wear at these temps when I go for jogs, bike rides, strolls, or if I'm going somewhere. If it's very windy, I'd add an extra layer in addition to the aforementioned.

I'll admit that sometimes I'm underdressed and feel a bit cold, but not excessively so.

I'm not "immune to cold" and I'm not a postman either. I just like to dress lightly - wind chills above -15C don't even feel that cold imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I'm sure it's the latter.
Like I said, you don't have to believe me.

Even I'll admit that my raving about the cold sounds silly much of the time, but I try not to take myself too seriously

Last edited by Shalop; 01-23-2015 at 11:51 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 AM

6,504 posts, read 4,233,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
This is actually what I wear at these temps when I go for jogs, bike rides, strolls, or if I'm going somewhere. If it's very windy, I'd add an extra layer in addition to the aforementioned.

I'll admit that sometimes I'm underdressed and feel a bit cold, but not excessively so.

I'm not "immune to cold" and I'm not a postman either. I just like to dress lightly - wind chills above -15C don't even feel that cold imo.

Like I said, you don't have to believe me.

Even I'll admit that my raving about the cold sounds silly much of the time, but I try not to take myself too seriously
Fair enough. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold weather, so your way of dressing for the cold seems crazy to me.

The postmen around here are insane. I don't think any of them actually own a pair of trouser's! It doesn't get that cold here though. -7/8C would be about the coldest it gets during winter.
You'd never be out of short's!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold weather, so your way of dressing for the cold seems crazy to me.
It is also worth mentioning that I'm fairly active whenever I go outside. Brisk walking or jogging generate a large amount of body heat, so less layers are needed in my case.

Quote:
The postmen around here are insane. I don't think any of them actually own a pair of trouser's! It doesn't get that cold here though. -7/8C would be about the coldest it gets during winter.
You'd never be out of short's!
I've only worn long pants on a few occasions during the last few years. The average yearly min in my area is about -15C, but it gets much colder in upstate NY.

On 8 Jan, I went on a 15 minute walk in -30C wearing shorts. BAD idea. Pretty stupid of me. The surface/skin on my legs was frozen solid by the end of the walk. I think that frostbite had penetrated my skin into my muscles in some small isolated areas. It wasn't very painful and it healed quickly, but nonetheless it illustrates the point that extra precaution is needed at temps below -25C or so.

But that's enough raving about the cold for now

Last edited by Shalop; 01-24-2015 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 02:20 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,200,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I once went on a 15 minute walk in -30C wearing shorts. BAD idea. Pretty stupid of me. The surface/skin on my legs was frozen solid by the end of the walk. I think that the frostbite had penetrated my skin into my muscles in some small isolated areas. It wasn't very painful and it healed quickly, but nonetheless it illustrates the point that extra precaution is needed at temps below -25C or so.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
My blood is very thin, as I have Anorexia Nervosa, and therefore I get cold much more easily than most. Here's my list. It may seem ridiculous, but just remember my condition!

80-90F- T-shirt, fleece vest, skirt, shoes

70-80F- Cardigan, long sleeved shirt, fllece vest, pants, shoes

60-70F- Long sleeved shirt, t-shirt, vest, light jacket, boots

50-60F-Same as above, but with thermals underneath

40-50F- Same as above, but with thermals and gloves

30-40F- I try not to go out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or