Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think that would truly be a miracle. I honestly can't even fathom it long enough to speculate!
Welcome to my reality.

Quote:
My forearms and face can and do burn, but I have to be in the sun quite a bit for it to be noticeable. But my upper body will burn quite a bit, honestly, in maybe 20 to 30 minutes of full sun exposure. It's ridiculous how quickly my pasty areas burn! (Apologies for how disgusting that sentence probably sounded )
It didn't sound that disgusting.
Would that be a painful burn in 20-30 minutes, or just sensitive red skin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It didn't sound that disgusting.
Would that be a painful burn in 20-30 minutes, or just sensitive red skin?
Probably in between, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I allowed my upper body to get sunburned). My forearms will get burned a little, which just makes my skin sensitive. And I've had my back sunburned so badly I couldn't sleep at night. The 20-30 minute sunburn is probably in between those two. Just enough pain to be annoying.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Probably in between, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I allowed my upper body to get sunburned). My forearms will get burned a little, which just makes my skin sensitive. And I've had my back sunburned so badly I couldn't sleep at night. The 20-30 minute sunburn is probably in between those two. Just enough pain to be annoying.
Well at least it isn't full-on painful,
but I can still see why you avoid sun exposure because you can only handle brief periods of sun
before you feel negative effects the next day.
At least you don't have sensitivity to UV like people with a sun allergy.

With my base-tan, I can go at least 45 minutes before I get any pinkish-sensitivity
and it only becomes uncomfortable the next day on my chest or back after 1 or 2 hrs.
Give me SPF 15 and I can be outside all day and feel no sensitivity.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,043 times
Take out Summer

Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Was in coastal Delaware this past weekend (a little over 2 hours south of Philly). Places like Lewes, DE have an avg high and low of 45F/28F in January. Check out the veg I saw there like Crepe Myrtle's everywhere, Southern Magnolia, Palms, etc:

Wow... the vegetation in those pics looks almost identical to here in Vancouver.. in fact if you didn't tell me it was in Delaware.. I would have guessed it was here.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,503,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Didnt it snow in Melbourne a few years ago ON CHRISTMAS DAY (your summer)

Melbourne shivers at Christmas | Herald Sun

Its very strange. Australian cities seem to have a narrow range of winter temperatures, yet a massive range of summer ones.
I don't know where the picture in that article was taken but I can guarantee you it was not taken in Melbourne proper. Somewhere up in the Australian Alps would be my guess.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Wow... the vegetation in those pics looks almost identical to here in Vancouver.. in fact if you didn't tell me it was in Delaware.. I would have guessed it was here.
Winter temperatures in coastal Delaware don't look much different to Vancouver. Are bananas common in Vancouver gardens?.

I'm surprised at how close the pine trees are to the house in the 3rd photo, given the storms they can get there. Winter shading would be a problem too.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Winter temperatures in coastal Delaware don't look much different to Vancouver. Are bananas common in Vancouver gardens?.

I'm surprised at how close the pine trees are to the house in the 3rd photo, given the storms they can get there. Winter shading would be a problem too.
Yes, cold hardy bananas are very common in gardens here although they usually die back most winters and regrow again in the spring.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, cold hardy bananas are very common in gardens here although they usually die back most winters and regrow again in the spring.
Similar to here, they typically get the most of their leaves fried by the frost and start growing again by about mid spring. It isn't cold enough for them to die back to ground level. Some years aren't as bad and will see unmarked leaves all year. They set fruit during the 2nd or 3rd year. Not that common though, with only about 5 % of gardens having them.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,969,896 times
I'd make Apr - Oct 6 C colder, Mar and Nov 13 C colder, Dec, Jan and Feb 20 C colder.

So this is the new climate box:

I'd rate it a B. My main qualm is the long summer. It can be stormier year-round especially in winter, though the current winter storminess is enough for some nice snowfalls. A huge improvement from the real Hong Kong.

Last edited by Caleb Yeung; 04-04-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather