Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the climate of...
Perth 56 58.33%
San Diego 40 41.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's rare to go more than 2 days without seeing the sun. One thing I notice is, the further south you go the more cloud tends to linger. Perth's winter rain is more like warm climate summer rain: quick, short and sharp, although there are drizzly periods too. Melbourne gets alot less heavy rain in winter but the gloom is definitely more prominent than in Perth.
On the BOM charts, there's a sharp falloff in annual sun south of Perth, with Albany inside the 6hr/day line (though the table shows 6.6/day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Perth seems quite close to my ideal climate, though I'm torn whether I prefer a Mediterranean precipitation pattern or a more uniform pattern. Its dry season seems a little less dry than California's though.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I'd choose Perth over San Diego due to its hotter summers and warmer SSTs which are more ideal for swimming.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
On the BOM charts, there's a sharp falloff in annual sun south of Perth, with Albany inside the 6hr/day line (though the table shows 6.6/day).
The climate of the South coast of WA is very different to the climate on West Coast.
At Augusta, the point where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean, and to the east of this, the climate cannot be compared to Perth due to the influence of a much colder body of water and persistent onshore winds.
Albany itself is cooler than Melbourne, which is at a lower latitude.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Perth looks better to me -- it's got hotter highs. That 31C average high currently sure looks appealing to me at the moment! It's got more rainfall (greener in scenery?) and is still sunny enough overall.

Plus, I've always wanted to experience a place with strong distinct edge between wet and dry seasons for the change of scenery. That aspect really appeals to me for some reason.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The climate of the South coast of WA is very different to the climate on West Coast.
At Augusta, the point where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean, and to the east of this, the climate cannot be compared to Perth due to the influence of a much colder body of water and persistent onshore winds.
Albany itself is cooler than Melbourne, which is at a lower latitude.
Actually colder currents tend to dominate the area from Perth northwards, while the Leeuwin current is a warm current that blows off the coast (past Rottnest) to Cape Leeuwin. Which is why you find some tropical species in Rottnest and even off Busselton, and why the waters just off the coast of Perth are on the cool side.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
San dieg has about the perfect climate . It shows in the numbers and the cost to live there reasonable also.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
San dieg has about the perfect climate . It shows in the numbers and the cost to live there reasonable also.
The cost of living in San Diego is far from reasonable. Pay big money to live in a boring climate? No thanks.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The cost of living in San Diego is far from reasonable. Pay big money to live in a boring climate? No thanks.
It's no more expensive than the NYC metro area, I think.

Looked it up. It seems slightly cheaper.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's no more expensive than the NYC metro area, I think.

Looked it up. It seems slightly cheaper.
Hmm well I always assumed San Diego was one of the most expensive places in the country. How are the property taxes? I think housing is more stable in the NYC area and would assume COL is lower considering New Jersey has very low gas prices. I could be wrong though. But now I'm veering off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather