U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
27,012 posts, read 13,389,632 times
Reputation: 8579
I think i remember a discussion saying that Seattle has less sunny days than even London while it was has much more sunshine hours because London's overcast weather will often have a short break with sun while Seattle tends to be consistently cloudy or sunnier. Dunno if that's true, but it's an interesting situation if it is.

Of course, Seattle is much sunnier than London in the summer. (I think it's slightly sunnier than Massachusetts in the summer).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,546 posts, read 5,630,188 times
Reputation: 4854
I understand that the gloom can be pretty consistent in the PNW, but even they get a few short breaks of sun during the winter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 18,052,262 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think i remember a discussion saying that Seattle has less sunny days than even London while it was has much more sunshine hours because London's overcast weather will often have a short break with sun while Seattle tends to be consistently cloudy or sunnier. Dunno if that's true, but it's an interesting situation if it is.

Of course, Seattle is much sunnier than London in the summer. (I think it's slightly sunnier than Massachusetts in the summer).
Both Seattle and London can have long periods of cloud. The big difference, of course, is that London tends to be cloudy all year round (but the most so in Autumn/early winter) while Seattle in summer is pretty sunny. I think Massachussetts gets a good mix of cloud and sun in the summer months, while the coast of Maine can get plain gloomy in summer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,546 posts, read 5,630,188 times
Reputation: 4854
Well obviously the gloom factor isn't enough to keep Seattle from being a successful area. City has over 600,000 people, metropolitan area over 3 million. One of the most educated cities in the US as well. Everyone I know has a strong interest in visiting the PNW at some point. I'd take a cloudy Seattle over a sunbelt city any day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 18,052,262 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Well obviously the gloom factor isn't enough to keep Seattle from being a successful area. City has over 600,000 people, metropolitan area over 3 million. One of the most educated cities in the US as well. Everyone I know has a strong interest in visiting the PNW at some point. I'd take a cloudy Seattle over a sunbelt city any day.
Me too, despite it's 'idyllic' climate, the streets of Phoenix seem deserted. And during the summer it's too hot to be out and about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
3,731 posts, read 3,126,563 times
Reputation: 1838
There are many cities with higher rainfall than Seattle. The difference is that in Seattle, it falls as a mist or very light rain most of the time, taking a very long time to accumulate to anything, and therefore we have more RAINY DAYS per year, despite overall less rainfall.

Summers here are warm, dry, and gorgeous. WHEN we actually get a summer, that is. I've lived here my whole life, and every few years or so it seems we don't really get a real summer. That was the case with this last summer. Barely even seemed to hit 80 degrees, started late, and ended early. Like I said though, those kinds of years are spread out and most summers here great!

There is a saying though, summer here doesn't start until the 5th of July. I recently heard on the news that the 4th is actually one of the rainiest days during the summer months on average around here. Go figure. I know this last one was a cool and rainy one!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Surrey, London commuter belt
584 posts, read 492,572 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Both Seattle and London can have long periods of cloud. The big difference, of course, is that London tends to be cloudy all year round (but the most so in Autumn/early winter) while Seattle in summer is pretty sunny. I think Massachussetts gets a good mix of cloud and sun in the summer months, while the coast of Maine can get plain gloomy in summer.
London gets fewer 100% sunny days, but more partly cloudy days and fewer overcast days than Seattle. Of course when you get to the south coast of England, many locations have similar sunshine totals to Seattle (1900 vs 2000 hrs), with 60-70 hrs in Dec and 240-250 hrs in Jul.

The longest I've gone without seeing the sun here in winter is about 5-6 days. I'm sure the PNW gets far longer stretches of gloom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 18,052,262 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
London gets fewer 100% sunny days, but more partly cloudy days and fewer overcast days than Seattle. Of course when you get to the south coast of England, many locations have similar sunshine totals to Seattle (1900 vs 2000 hrs), with 60-70 hrs in Dec and 240-250 hrs in Jul.

The longest I've gone without seeing the sun here in winter is about 5-6 days. I'm sure the PNW gets far longer stretches of gloom.
Really, how many cloudy days does Seattle get? I know both cities get the same number of raindays (about 150) which isn't really that much, from memory Seattle gets over 200 cloudy days, which is quite alot, but not sure how much London gets. For London to get a paltry 1600 or so hours a year compared to the 2100 hours in Seattle, I'm guessing it has more cloudy days, although that's not ALWAYS the case, of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Surrey, London commuter belt
584 posts, read 492,572 times
Reputation: 249
London gets about 45 overcast days but I'm not sure how many clear days it gets. Somewhere between 50-100 probably.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
27,012 posts, read 13,389,632 times
Reputation: 8579
Seattle has 71 clear days, 201 cloudy days, 93 partly cloudy days.
Worcester, MA (closest station to me) has 90 clear days, 168 cloudy days and 107 partly cloudy days.

From the source:

This data is based on daylight hours only. A clear day denotes zero to 3/10 average
sky cover. Partly cloudy is 4/10 to 7/10 tenths. Cloudy is 8/10 to 10/10 tenths.

Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

I assume your number of overcast days for London is based on a different definition?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top