U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM

6,736 posts, read 3,048,093 times
Trewartha gets my vote for the most relevant system. I still can't get my head around the idea, that I live in a sub tropical climate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

4,410 posts, read 3,333,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Trewartha gets my vote for the most relevant system. I still can't get my head around the idea, that I live in a sub tropical climate though.
From what you said about wasps, weeds and mowing the lawn every week close to midwinter's day (though I know this is a mild winter for you) and the fact it's only snowed once in x years, I'd call that a subtropical climate.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM

933 posts, read 847,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
still in denial ? haha

Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM

I think the subtropical category can be split further to adequately describe the varying climatic situations on different continents: Just like there are mild/maritime and extreme subartic, there can also be mild subtropical and extreme subtropical. I would describe a mild subtropical climate as being closer to the tropic of cancer/capricorn while an extreme subtropical one is further away. Mild subtropical would be Hong Kong and Miami. Joe90 where you are living is probably an extreme variation of a subtropical climate. I know this sounds crazy but this works for the subartic types. People living in Yellowknife or Murmansk find it hard to believe that Tromso and Anchorage are also considered to be sub-artic despite of having much warmer winters. You might not like the fact that we put the milds and the extremes in the same world, but there isn't really a better climate classification systems than the one established by Koppen, IMO

Last edited by Kaul; 06-14-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,639,340 times
If New York is subtropical, then London would be. Which clearly is not the case. Rome is far closer to being subtropical, it has mild winters (though it gets cold snaps, but so does south Texas) and warm summers.

I went to Rome in March 2002 and it was warm (reached 77F when I was there), while places like the US were still chilling in 20F lows and 40-50F highs. Consistent 90F temps in summer when I went in 2007, and I never felt too hot. Even managed to make mad passionate love every day without the AC on.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
If New York is subtropical, then London would be. Which clearly is not the case. Rome is far closer to being subtropical, it has mild winters (though it gets cold snaps, but so does south Texas) and warm summers.
Does London get temperature over 100F+ in the summer like new york does? I don't think so. New York's winter is rather mild and the summer is just too hot. Philadelphia and Washington DC have similar climates and are all considered subtropical just like new york is. Boston should also be included under subtropical, despite what wikipedia says.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM

5,596 posts, read 3,963,991 times
Just because a place can get regular 100F temperatures in summer doesn't mean that it's subtropical... Even some tropical climates like Miami have never officially hit 100F.

As has been mentioned in previous discussions, most agree that subtropical climates should have at least an annual average temperature of 60F.
Saying Boston, NYC, London are subtropical is silly.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Does London get temperature over 100F+ in the summer like new york does? I don't think so.

I already said London is not subtropical. Please learn to read. And as others have said, that has nowt to do with anything. A places climate classification depends on the climate of the entire year not just one season. NY's cold October- April certainly doesn't cut it for a "subtropical" climate. Oh puleeaase. You prolly think it gets below freezing "on the odd cool morning" in Jakarta, Indonesia don't you?

Quote:
New York's winter is rather mild and the summer is just too hot.
London's winter is much milder than New York's. New York has a continental climate, which us not even close to "subtropical". Nowhere with such cold winters can be close to "subtropical" in a realistic sense.

Quote:
Philadelphia and Washington DC have similar climates and are all considered subtropical just like new york is. Boston should also be included under subtropical, despite what wikipedia says.
None of those places are subtropical. Their winters are too cold. Sorry, you're wrong. Anywhere with a mean temperature close to or below freezing in winter ain't subtropical.

I think you need to look up what "tropical" is first, even before you start on "subtropical", as you really do come across quite idiotic so far. Especially when also trying to tell people they don't actually like the weather they know they do (in another thread), we had someone else a bit like that, they weren't that popular 'round here.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 06-14-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Just because a place can get regular 100F temperatures in summer doesn't mean that it's subtropical... Even some tropical climates like Miami have never officially hit 100F.

As has been mentioned in previous discussions, most agree that subtropical climates should have at least an annual average temperature of 60F.
Nobody said London is subtropical. Learn to read correctly.

I did say, if NYC was subtropical, London would also be. I wasn't the one saying NYS was "subtropical" though, was I. No, that was Kaul. He thinks because NYC has warm (not hot) summers, that automatically makes it subtropical. Oh and NYC's winters are cold, especially for a Brit. Subtropical is not based on the summer temperature alone but also upon having mild winters.

Neither NYC or London are close to subtropical, as it happens.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 06-14-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
We were comparing New York and London.

Quote:
To be considered humid continental, the climate must have warm, but not hot summer and cold winter. The summers are too warm in those mentioned cities and winters are not cold enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather