U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,219,317 times
Reputation: 5113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Nipply..that's a good one..I've heard that slip before too..

I also like when the weather folks decide that though we might actually need the rain, they will oftentimes bemoan the fact that it's coming and that they want sunshine. Instead, they'll make statements and drop hints about what a pain in the butt it is that it's going to rain. Most need to keep their opinions to themselves..just report the weather!

lol. I like that -just report the weather. Wow, ya think they would have thought of that, hee hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2007, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,805 posts, read 14,120,349 times
Reputation: 4772
The weather people around here admit when they are wrong, which happens a lot, especially this year, which is like perpetual spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 20,346,770 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
It is the triangle area.
Oh my, I looked into that area (like everyone else down here)! Whats the summer weather typically like up that way? I loved the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,219,317 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Oh my, I looked into that area (like everyone else down here)! Whats the summer weather typically like up that way? I loved the winters.
Well not quite as bad as Fla., but not much can be done outside here in July and Aug. unless ya get ya butt out in the AM or in the eve, Or are immuned to sweating and overheating.

Yes it is a nice area, and apparently very attractive these past 5 years for sure, I live just North of Raleigh, and somewhat west of Durham. Just outside the hustle and bustle. Well if ya can call it that, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,231 posts, read 2,623,831 times
Reputation: 365
What bugs me about TeeVeeee weather forecasts is that they act like their previous forecast never happened instead of using it as a chance to educate us. Of course they're frequently wrong! And that's OK!

They make themselves look idiotic by pretending they never said anything wrong. The better approach would be to explain how their previous forecast was created, why it went wrong, and what they're now predicting. Weather is chaotic, so it's pretty amazing that forecasts are as good as they are now! I doubt they're going to improve much because there's currently no way to forecast the behavior of chaotic systems.

We, the viewers, demand that our TEE VEE talking heads act like gods. Everything you see on major broadcast and cable networks is corporate, thus it's all scripted to appeal to the audience because they are NOT in the business of informing, educating, or entertaining... They're all about selling advertising and pleasing their stockholders. We can blame our own stupidity for the stupidity that dominates television. That's why I canceled my cable subscription and switched to a DVD rental service. If I want news, I have to use the Internet because TV doesn't provide anything but garbage designed to get high ratings and attract advertising that caters to the lowest common denominator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,509 posts, read 11,238,861 times
Reputation: 8393
TheHarvester wrote:

Quote:
What bugs me about TeeVeeee weather forecasts is that they act like their previous forecast never happened instead of using it as a chance to educate us. Of course they're frequently wrong! And that's OK!

They make themselves look idiotic by pretending they never said anything wrong. The better approach would be to explain how their previous forecast was created, why it went wrong, and what they're now predicting. Weather is chaotic, so it's pretty amazing that forecasts are as good as they are now! I doubt they're going to improve much because there's currently no way to forecast the behavior of chaotic systems.

We, the viewers, demand that our TEE VEE talking heads act like gods. Everything you see on major broadcast and cable networks is corporate, thus it's all scripted to appeal to the audience because they are NOT in the business of informing, educating, or entertaining... They're all about selling advertising and pleasing their stockholders. We can blame our own stupidity for the stupidity that dominates television. That's why I canceled my cable subscription and switched to a DVD rental service. If I want news, I have to use the Internet because TV doesn't provide anything but garbage designed to get high ratings and attract advertising that caters to the lowest common denominator.
This so right on, I couldn't have said it any better myself. Becasue we support these silly TV shows by watching them, we get exactly the idiots we deserve.

I wanted to give you a rep point for your cuttingly truthful insight, but I need to spread it around before I can give you another point. Such foolish rules! I'll give you one later when the system allows me to do so.

regards...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,219,317 times
Reputation: 5113
Default repped Harvester..

for ya pal,
Can someone rep NewageRedneck, as I cannot rep them at the moment,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,231 posts, read 2,623,831 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I wanted to give you a rep point for your cuttingly truthful insight, but I need to spread it around before I can give you another point. Such foolish rules!
Imagine this forum without such rules. It would be a war of repping.

Not only do you have to wait before giving someone positive or negative feedback, there's also a limit on how much you can do in a certain time period for ALL rep points you give.

These are intelligent rules, they prevent the rep system from melting down the whole forum and turning it into a popularity contest that degrades into a war. They're taking a chance by having the rep thing to begin with! So I'm pretty happy with it. And, by the way, I had the same problem with you in another thread today, I tried to give you points but I did that yesterday so I need to spread it around. And I hate those words "spread some love..." Sounds gross. I'm 51 but I'm thinking like a 5th grader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,713 posts, read 2,926,953 times
Reputation: 731
I work in the weather business, and we all eat crow from time to time.

the best weathermen are the ones who looks at what went wrong, learns from it and their mistakes, and does better the next time there's a similar weather pattern.

that said, I don't think they should apologize. I would not apologize for a bad weather forecast. but I would admit that I was wrong and explain why. even the best weathermen (meteorologist) eats dust every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,509 posts, read 11,238,861 times
Reputation: 8393
TheHarvester

You're right about the rules. I called them foolish in a state of very mild frustration because I really wanted to give you a point for that post. It was so right on! Looks like someone else did.

regards...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top